Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

Baltimore Sun: MD plans 'major capital campaign' for indoor facility
http://www.baltimore...0,6186027.story

With new locker rooms and a new indoor practice facility, Maryland's obviously trying to come up to par with the other B1G football programs. The SEC is probably #1 in facilities, but the B1G and Pac-12 are close seconds. ACC is undoubtedly 4th. This will definitely help recruiting as well.

@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

With new locker rooms and a new indoor practice facility, Maryland's obviously trying to come up to par with the other B1G football programs. The SEC is probably #1 in facilities, but the B1G and Pac-12 are close seconds. ACC is undoubtedly 4th. This will definitely help recruiting as well.

Don't forget the Big 12.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

Baltimore Sun: MD plans 'major capital campaign' for indoor facility
http://www.baltimore...0,6186027.story

Athletic director Kevin Anderson said he was confident enough money would be contributed to build the facility.

“I have no question that we can do this raising private funds. It’s very significant for our program moving into the Big Ten,” Anderson said.

Translation: Mr. Plank and Mr.Gossett, can I have $80 million? Pretty please?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Arms Race: Photos of top indoor practice facilities in college football

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

Translation: Mr. Plank and Mr.Gossett, can I have $80 million? Pretty please?

Guessing the announcement means they've already raised significant portions of the total needed. At least I hope.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

Guessing the announcement means they've already raised significant portions of the total needed. At least I hope.

I agree. It would be rather embarrassing to announce a such campaign and then fall short. And like I mentioned in the other thread, Edsall alluded to upgrade projects in a language that suggested that whatever it was would not be far off. My guess would be they have some form of commitments totaling about $50 million (the low-end of what KA said they'd need), and will aim to get that number up to $80 million. Basically, how much more they raise beyond $50 million will determine what bells-and-whistles get added to a basic indoor facility.

#8 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

And they don't have the money to keep a few programs like Track & Field and Swimming???

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

And they don't have the money to keep a few programs like Track & Field and Swimming???

Big difference between the athletic department funding non-revenue producing teams, and a campaign to raise private funds to build a facility. The costs of the teams are year-to-year expenses, and they mostly increase too. The construction of an indoor practice facility is a one-time cost (and again, private money), although there will no doubt be operational and maintenance expenses for the department to bear, so that part is a fair issue to raise.

Also, the Men's Track team managed to raise enough money last year to temporarily keep from being cut, and just now the athletic department announced they have officially reinstated it and will fund it permanently.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,713 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Testudo Times: Renderings of Indoor Practice Facility
http://www.testudoti...sett-team-house

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Now that looks impressive. I look forward to hearing more details and hope it becomes reality.

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

It's really doubtful that they'd create renderings and post them up for recruits if most of the funding wasn't in place. This looks like something that will happen sooner rather than later, and will be huge heading into the Big Ten.

I'm also hearing rumors about tearing down Cole Field House in order to create space for this facility. Cole currently holds mostly offices right now, so the facility would be a better version of that. Obviously it's tough to imagine a historical place like Cole being gone, but it makes sense.

• Oriole85 likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

It's really doubtful that they'd create renderings and post them up for recruits if most of the funding wasn't in place. This looks like something that will happen sooner rather than later, and will be huge heading into the Big Ten.

I'm also hearing rumors about tearing down Cole Field House in order to create space for this facility. Cole currently holds mostly offices right now, so the facility would be a better version of that. Obviously it's tough to imagine a historical place like Cole being gone, but it makes sense.

Ugh....I was hoping they could relocate Shipley Field and just shoehorn it in with the practice fields. Even though it is well beyond its purposeful years, I'd hate to see Cole go.

#14 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Ugh....I was hoping they could relocate Shipley Field and just shoehorn it in with the practice fields. Even though it is well beyond its purposeful years, I'd hate to see Cole go.

According to last week's Diamondback article, Shipley Field is a probable location for the new facility:

Administration officials have begun looking at ideas for an indoor practice facility that would be built in the center of the campus, replacing practice fields and Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium’s baseball diamond, officials close to discussions told The Diamondback.

Though no funds have been secured for such a facility and there are no concrete plans, an architectural firm has presented officials with a preliminary idea for a state-of-the-art indoor facility, said officials, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity and confidentiality of early discussions.

[rest of article snipped]

So ... we'll see how it goes. I hope there's still an easy way for students to get from North Campus to the Union / mall / etc.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of new cool stuff, another thing I'd love to see is a new soccer stadium. They overfilled Ludwig the other day against Duke, and the team has really good support. They deserve a better facility. I think Ludwig is a great location - just relocate the track (if that's possible) and build better stands / locker rooms / etc.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Maybe Maryland should be the first college football team to have an off-campus practice facility. That's going to happen eventually anyway.

@DJ_McCann

#16 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Cole houses ROTC and assorted other things like the state wrestling tournaments and indoor soccer intramurals. Those are all things that can be relocated. For the most part, Cole just kinda sits there in the middle of campus without a ton of use.

@BSLLukeJackson

#17 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

FWIW, I think the soccer team needs a new facility to accommodate the growing interest in the program. Sasho has wanted his own soccer-only facility for awhile now, but the money simply isn't there. Shipley is currently a soccer field and a track, which makes it look like a glorified high school set-up. Maryland soccer is very well supported and deserves its own facility.

The ballpark is located in the center of campus near the student union and football stadium. It's easy for students to get to, but it is not an impressive facility. The park itself is a bandbox. The outfield is grass and the infield is turf. The park five years ago was a total disaster (center field was brown). Erik Bakich revived that program's recruiting and helped pump UA money into the program, but he's long gone now. 

Unfortunately, all this costs money and unless they're getting a TON of money from UA, I don't know how they can build a new football facility AND a new soccer facility AND a new ballpark. Just thinking aloud of where they'd put these new facilities...there are already three or four football practice fields in the middle of campus. I'd assume most or all of those would stay because the point of having an indoor practice facility is to have the option of practicing indoors or outdoors. Since Shipley is right next to the practice fields, that's the logical thing to go. Maryland's baseball team would then need a place to play for the time being and a new ballpark in the future. I'd imagine that any UA investment for an indoor facility comes with the additional funds necessary to build a new ballpark (if Shipley is indeed the thing to go). Near Comcast, MD has a women's lacrosse/field hockey facility and a softball facility. My guess is that they'd put a new ballpark in that area. As far as a new soccer facility...it's necessary, but it's probably more likely that the current set-up is just renovated so that students aren't standing on wooden bleachers and maybe move the track elsewhere.

@BSLLukeJackson

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

According to last week's Diamondback article, Shipley Field is a probable location for the new facility:

So ... we'll see how it goes. I hope there's still an easy way for students to get from North Campus to the Union / mall / etc.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of new cool stuff, another thing I'd love to see is a new soccer stadium. They overfilled Ludwig the other day against Duke, and the team has really good support. They deserve a better facility. I think Ludwig is a great location - just relocate the track (if that's possible) and build better stands / locker rooms / etc.

Not sure how much sense it makes to have a separate facility just for a non-revenue producing sport in track-and-field.

@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

I think it was GW, who suggested making Cole a museum. I like that idea. Like Luke said that a lot of the current use of Cole could easily be replaced. Sentimentality aside, it could possibly be used for better purposes. it sits in the middle of campus, that's prime land.

@levineps

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

I think it was GW, who suggested making Cole a museum. I like that idea. Like Luke said that a lot of the current use of Cole could easily be replaced. Sentimentality aside, it could possibly be used for better purposes. it sits in the middle of campus, that's prime land.

Move it to Baltimore. It's a bigger arena than the one we have.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=