#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Move it to Baltimore. It's a bigger arena than the one we have.

They moved an entire building in San Antonio. I think it be a little hard to get it on 95.

@levineps

#22 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

I thought Cole was going to be the new home for the brand new B1G Maryland Terrapins ice hockey team!

(sarc)

WIW, I think the soccer team needs a new facility to accommodate the growing interest in the program. Sasho has wanted his own soccer-only facility for awhile now, but the money simply isn't there. Shipley is currently a soccer field and a track, which makes it look like a glorified high school set-up. Maryland soccer is very well supported and deserves its own facility.

<snip>

Not sure how much sense it makes to have a separate facility just for a non-revenue producing sport in track-and-field.

I was kind of thinking of something like moving the track to be around the field hockey field, but I suppose that probably wouldn't work. I suppose the track isn't too big a deal when the game is in play ... but I'd definitely like to see better facilities for the teams and the fans.

Unfortunately, all this costs money and unless they're getting a TON of money from UA, I don't know how they can build a new football facility AND a new soccer facility AND a new ballpark. Just thinking aloud of where they'd put these new facilities...there are already three or four football practice fields in the middle of campus. I'd assume most or all of those would stay because the point of having an indoor practice facility is to have the option of practicing indoors or outdoors. Since Shipley is right next to the practice fields, that's the logical thing to go. Maryland's baseball team would then need a place to play for the time being and a new ballpark in the future. I'd imagine that any UA investment for an indoor facility comes with the additional funds necessary to build a new ballpark (if Shipley is indeed the thing to go). Near Comcast, MD has a women's lacrosse/field hockey facility and a softball facility. My guess is that they'd put a new ballpark in that area. As far as a new soccer facility...it's necessary, but it's probably more likely that the current set-up is just renovated so that students aren't standing on wooden bleachers and maybe move the track elsewhere.

I presume a new baseball field would be placed somewhere down near Comcast and the softball field. Ideally, IMO, it would be a bit northwest of the newer parking garage in that area (west of Comcast), but I don't know if that's feasible (as far as the geology / topography is concerned).

As far as the practice fields, I'm presuming they're going to enclose at least one of them inside the facility. Keep in mind that since the field in Byrd was replaced with FieldTurf, it can be used as a practice field too.

I'd hope that the baseball team could maybe play in Bowie, or worst case occasionally use the stadiums in Frederick or Aberdeen. Or Camden Yards. :cool:

As far as the costs ...

Syracuse is building a $17 million facility. Baylor's indoor facility, completed in 2009, cost $14 million. Virginia Tech's new facility is expected to cost $25 million. Florida State's cost $15 million. OK State's facility and surrounding fields cost around $20 million, IIRC.

So if we're talking about $50 - $80 million, I damn well hope that includes all of the costs involved, including a replacement baseball stadium. If it doesn't, I want to know why it will cost so @#% much.

I presume, based on costs of other ballparks, that a new baseball stadium should be able to be built for under $20 million, assuming they don't go hog-wild building an oversized monster of a stadium. Indiana U built a new baseball field and softball field last year for $19.8 million. The baseball field seats 2,500 and has other neat stuff like batting cages and storage space. I'd be surprised if we need more than 2,500 seats for a baseball stadium.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#23 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Oh BTW, I totally forgot that Cole probably isn't feasible for a major indoor football facility. That part of campus is on a really steep hill. I can't imagine something like this http://bit.ly/19G6x6w being built there. Thinking through it a little more, the current Shipley site makes too much sense not to do that.

Re: using Bowie's facility while a new park is being built. I can't imagine they'd need more than one season at Bowie. This past year, I count 15 home dates for MD before Bowie even began playing. After April 1, they had 14 home dates (seems like it'd be easy enough for the B1G and Eastern League to coordinate scheduling). That's 29 total home dates. Could UA front the money to rent out PG Stadium for 29 dates? I honestly have no idea what the cost of that is. I assume it'd be hefty.

@BSLLukeJackson

#24 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Question: Would they consider just building an indoor facility on the current practice fields -- thereby keeping Shipley as is -- and telling the football and lacrosse teams to practice at Byrd?

@BSLLukeJackson

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Oh BTW, I totally forgot that Cole probably isn't feasible for a major indoor football facility. That part of campus is on a really steep hill. I can't imagine something like this http://bit.ly/19G6x6w being built there. Thinking through it a little more, the current Shipley site makes too much sense not to do that.

Cole is already built into the hill, so it may not be that much of an issue.

Instead of tearing down Cole, could they do a major renovation that puts a multi-purpose field and adjustable stands in that space by taking out the permanent seating?

@DJ_McCann

#26 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Don't know if this has been discussed on the board, but this is from August... http://articles.balt...-golf-teams-loh

COLLEGE PARK — A prominent developer has met with Maryland President Wallace D. Loh to gauge interest in a proposal costing more than $100million to add a large, mixed-use development on land now occupied by the school's golf course and to provide a direct link to the campus from Interstate 95.

This would be interesting.

@BSLLukeJackson

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Don't know if this has been discussed on the board, but this is from August... http://articles.balt...-golf-teams-loh

This would be interesting.

Another route to campus in addition to US1 and New Hampshire/Adelphi would sure be convenient. But if I'm not mistaken some of that land they are taking about for the road is federal-owned. Not sure how that would work.

#28 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Question: Would they consider just building an indoor facility on the current practice fields -- thereby keeping Shipley as is -- and telling the football and lacrosse teams to practice at Byrd?

Personally, I don't see any real problem with moving Shipley. For one thing, if it was rebuilt elsewhere, they could probably handle the drainage issues a lot better (and either make it all-turf or all-grass ... pick one). If it was closer to the edge of campus, it would probably be easier for off-campus folks to attend games. It could have brand new locker rooms and facilities, which there's little space to build in its current position. It could be given more of a southwest-to-northeast alignment (see Camden Yards, where the left field line is basically a straight north-south line, as is the Terps' softball field).

Also, if they moved the ballfield, they could reorganize the roads and walkways around the Union to help create a better pathway for students, helping to make North Campus better connected with the rest of the campus. It sounds like that might be part of the plan, since one of the renderings in the pictures taken at Gossett including something called "Terrapin Walk," which appeared to be a pedestrian walkway of some kind.

I also read somewhere (and I apologize but I can't remember where) that some of the football operations stuff in Gossett would be moved into the new building, and Gossett would then be better utilized for Byrd, e.g. better locker rooms. Given that one of the renderings was titled "Football Operations Entry" and it appeared to be east of the "Terrapin Walk," this sounds like a logical possibility.

And a large pedestrian pathway from North Campus to the rest of the campus would be really, really nice and benefit everyone.

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Another route to campus in addition to US1 and New Hampshire/Adelphi would sure be convenient. But if I'm not mistaken some of that land they are taking about for the road is federal-owned. Not sure how that would work.

It would probably be on the right-of-way originally planned for I-95 into DC, at least to Adelphi. If it is part of the golf course redevelopment, it likely would turn behind Archives II and come in at the entrance to campus in front of Byrd.

@DJ_McCann

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Have there been any updates here, that I've missed?

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Under Armour CEO Plank sells 94,500 shares

Under Armour founder and CEO Kevin A. Plank sold 94,500 shares of company stock in a transaction reported late Thursday for a total value of $7,670,407.

Food for thought.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

IMS: Edsall drops hint on Maryland Indoor Facility

http://maryland.247s...cility-32259179

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

IMS: Edsall drops hint on Maryland Indoor Facility

http://maryland.247s...cility-32259179

This is obviously a necessary step for the program, but one that was previously impossible with the debt of the athletic department. President Loh is right, the money for this should have to be fundraised. Hopefully they're able to get this done sooner rather than later.

@BSLZackKiesel

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:44 PM

IMS: MD set to convert Cole...

http://maryland.247s...cility-32687976

#35 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

IMS: MD set to convert Cole...

http://maryland.247s...cility-32687976

Good move. They've been trying to renovate it for years. Thought they were going to convert it into a classroom building, but this makes more sense. Nice and close to Byrd, too.

@BSLZackKiesel

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Good move. They've been trying to renovate it for years. Thought they were going to convert it into a classroom building, but this makes more sense. Nice and close to Byrd, too.

Going to need to read more about this.  Part of why you want such a facility, is to have something gaudy to sell to recruits. Not sure refurbishing Cole will do that.  OTOH, probably cheaper, you mentioned the proximity, and obviously Cole means a lot to MD.

#37 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Going to need to read more about this.  Part of why you want such a facility, is to have something gaudy to sell to recruits. Not sure refurbishing Cole will do that.  OTOH, probably cheaper, you mentioned the proximity, and obviously Cole means a lot to MD.

They can make it as nice as they want inside... as for the outside, I think it's kinda nice that the facade fits into the red brick motif... although that could be classic-ed up a bit... 

They should paint the roof to look like a turtle shell....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:42 AM

Like Chris said, I'll need to see more info on this. Just on the face of it, I'm not really a fan, considering those renderings we saw before.

#39 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:28 AM

Testudo Times: What Maryland football's rumored indoor practice facility means for the program's future

http://www.testudoti...cruiting-impact

It signals a step into the next tier for Maryland, one that could take the Terps into the kind of success they've been pining for -- if everything else goes right, that is. Building a fancy indoor facility doesn't count for any wins on the field, but it can certainly help you get there.

@BSLZackKiesel

#40 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

Maryland has formally requested that the Board of Regents approve a plan to convert Cole Field House into new indoor football facility.

Roman Stubbs @romanstubbs

Estimated cost is $155 million. Also would house academic and research facility. Pending BOR approval, construction would begin in Dec. 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=