#2101 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 January 2023 - 04:36 PM

I'd be shocked, young athletic and good at runs up the flank, but his crossing and passing accuracy leaves something to be desired.

I also like that he gets 90+ almost every time out for Fullham where he can continue to work on these areas that need improving.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#2102 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 January 2023 - 08:00 AM

I also like that he gets 90+ almost every time out for Fullham where he can continue to work on these areas that need improving.

This is probably the thinking of City. They certainly can afford him. He is an absolute freak athlete with a motor that goes forever. And he's a terror down the wing. Now his crossing and passing clearly need work but here's the key. He has the physical tools and mental makeup to be a beast on the wing. Its very hard to "teach' those things. But with solid coaching and training you can teach and improve crossing and passing. Jedi's biggest issue in those areas isn't one of technique its more about controlling his adrenaline. His footwork isn't bad its that he has a hard time finding that sweet spot between touch and pace. 

#2103 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 January 2023 - 08:42 AM

If you want to know why the EPL is the top soccer league in the world, as in most things, follow the money. As of this season the EPL has 11 clubs in the top 20 in revenue across the big 5 (EPL, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, and La Liga). And 16 of the EPL's 20 teams are in the top 30 in revenue. The article questions how long it will be before all 20 EPL teams will be in the top 30 and the point being that the EPL is just going to dominate Euro football more and more if this revenue trend continues.

And its hard to argue with that. Certainly each player has their own long term goals of where they want to play, much based upon their heritage, but in general the goal of the majority of young soccer players has always been to play in the EPL. After all its the birthplace of the sport and most popular league out there. And with it also having the most money its pretty easy to see it being the runaway place to play.

Now the counter argument is then how come EPL teams don't win UCL most every year. Here are the winners this century:

Real Madrid - 6

Barcelona - 4

Bayern Munich - 3

AC Milan - 3

Liverpool - 2

Chelsea - 2

Man U -1

FC Porto - 1

Now lets look at how those same clubs rank revenue wise in their respective leagues:

Real Madrid - 1

Barcelona -2

Bayern Munich - 1

AC Milan - 3

Liverpool - 2

Chelsea - 4

Man U- 3

FC Porto - 4

Bottom line is that money does buy championships. There are really no outliers in the last 20 years. One of the key reasons why the EPL doesn't win more often is that during league play they are competing against a bunch of other top flight clubs. Clubs always have to balance their lineups based on who they are facing and who they have coming up. Its much harder for EPL teams to play a lot of subs in a league match prior to a UCL window as they still have to put out a strong lineup. A team like Bayern, that has so many more resources than most Bundesliga clubs can play a "b team" lineup and still fare well domestically while ensuring their "a team" is rested for UCL.

Anyway thought some of you might be interested in this data.

• glenn__davis likes this

#2104 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:25 PM

How crazy is this!!!

323871073_4315228595268007_2966418399825

• glenn__davis likes this

#2105 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 February 2023 - 03:07 PM

Bigger shock today: Gunners losing to Everton 1-0 or Liverpool getting spanked by the Wolves 3-0?
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#2106 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 07:19 PM

Bigger shock today: Gunners losing to Everton 1-0 or Liverpool getting spanked by the Wolves 3-0?

Soccer is a stupid sport and I hate it
  • ivanbalt likes this
@DaKittenz

#2107 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2023 - 07:27 PM

Liverpool is in a bad way. Getting kind of crazy. Their fans are livid.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#2108 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 February 2023 - 11:37 PM

McNulty sent me a nude after arsenal lost.

Weird guy.
  • McNulty likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2109 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 07:17 PM

Liverpool is in a bad way. Getting kind of crazy. Their fans are livid.

I don't understand how our entire team's form fell off a cliff at the same time.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@DaKittenz

#2110 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 07:49 AM

I don't understand how our entire team's form fell off a cliff at the same time.

Outside of winning Champions League, Liverpool will be getting a break from Europe next season.

#2111 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:56 AM

Man City charged by Premier League for multiple financial fair play breaches

#2112 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:56 AM

Marsch out at Leeds

#2113 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 February 2023 - 07:43 AM

Marsch out at Leeds

Apparently most of the current staff have left as well. So there is a chance that they will have an interim manager for their next match who happens to be another American. Chris Armas just joined their staff 2 weeks ago and is still there. No way he gets an interim job but it would be cool if he was the manager for a game.

#2114 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 04:50 PM

I wanted Marsch to succeed and some of the underlying numbers showed Leeds results being unlucky relative to their performances, but at the end of the day he was a one trick pony who didn't really have a Plan B when Plan A failed.
  • DuffMan likes this
@DaKittenz

#2115 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 February 2023 - 07:38 AM

I wanted Marsch to succeed and some of the underlying numbers showed Leeds results being unlucky relative to their performances, but at the end of the day he was a one trick pony who didn't really have a Plan B when Plan A failed.

I mean I'm not shocked it happened, but I kind of thought they would give him another week or two with the reinforcements that were brought in.  Shame they didn't get at least a Draw against NF on Sunday.  So many quality chances in the first half of that game that they couldn't finish (big part of that was due to the NF keeper)

#2116 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 February 2023 - 09:09 AM

Its official. Chris Armas will manage Leeds match against Man U today!

#2117 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 February 2023 - 05:57 PM

Chris Armas just became the only American to have an undefeated EPL coaching career.....lol

#2118 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 February 2023 - 08:38 PM

Question of the day:

When we wake up tomorrow morning will Marsch be back in the EPL as a manager?

#2119 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 February 2023 - 06:15 PM

Man C has beaten Arsenal and has caught them in the standings, in fact, by virtue of goal differential, they are in first. Now Arsenal has a game in hand but I think Man C is just gonna go on a tear and win the crown. The Gunners are still in the thick of things but 2-1-2 in their last 5 isn't going to win it, not when Man C made up 5 points in the last 5 matches.

#2120 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 08:25 AM

City with only 37% possession that game, I cannot remember another game in the Pep era where City has had under 50% possession.
@DaKittenz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=