• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

The show is hosted by Rob Shields, and Mike Weber.

Topics: Mike and Rob finish their series on the best athletes of their lifetime (1979 – ). After ranking the Top 20 of individual sports, the focus here was on the best of the best overall (Numbers 10-1). Additionally, they discuss John Wall, NFL Injuries, and the Orioles.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://baltimorespor...ars-episode-29/

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

We talked about the deadline quite a bit as it relates to the O's. That took up the most time.

Best athlete? Jordan, Gretzky, Rice, or Bonds?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

Guys....you have to stop having 2 hour podcasts.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

Yea, we know.

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Guys....you have to stop having 2 hour podcasts.

Yeah, but what did you expect with Rob talking about the trade deadline? ;)

#7 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

What about having two hour podcasts but splitting them up in different categories?  You can still do all the recordings in one sitting but you may have 2-3 segments?

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm fine with the show going as long as it goes. People listening to it, don't have to listen to the entire show in one sitting.

• You Play to Win the Game and KWebz like this

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm fine with the show going as long as it goes. People listening to it, don't have to listen to the entire show in one sitting.

And there we have it, an official endorsement from the owner. Rob and Mike, sleep easy, not getting canned anytime soon! ;)

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

I think we should probably aim for 60-70 minutes, with 90 being the limit.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Agree with Mike on the length we should aim for.

However, we were usually in within that time frame in the past but the greatest athlete series and having guests tends to make it make it longer.

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

A few things on Tiger. Obviously, he deserves to be on this list. Probably in the 10-15 range for me at the moment.

Now, some bones to pick with Rob on Tiger. He argued Tiger has a claim to #1 over Jack already. Its a fair argument to have for sure. However, first and foremost people are going to look at the majors. Its the #1 criteria. Just cant get around that. Now, Tiger may have faced deeper fields but I would argue Nicklaus had a tougher cream of the crop to beat. He had all time legends like Palmer, Player,and Watson and Trevino. Arguably 4 of the Top 10 golfers of all time. Not to mention guys like Ray Floyd and Billy Casper who were without a doubt upper echelon HOFers.

Tiger has had to deal with arguably only 1 other all time great during his era and that is Phil. Vijay and Ernie are HOFers but nobody is mistaking them as Top 15-20 all timers.

Now, the argument with all time wins. A great achievement no doubt. We'll see how many Tigers ends with. If he is clear of everyone by 10+ wins that is impressive. However, Tiger has been one to really pick on a lot of particular tournaments and courses. In particular, he has won the Bridgestone 8 times now, hes won the Cadilac Championship 7 times, Bay Hill 8 times, Buick Invitational at Torrey 7 times, and the Memorial 5 times.

I don't know if Jack dominated single tournaments and courses like that but Im guessing he was more diversified. The majority of Tigers total wins have come on 6 or 7  courses.

Finally, the last thing, and its one of the smaller things in the grand scheme. TIger is not a chaser. He doesn't come from behind to win very often, and never in the Majors. We all know the stories of Jack making his final day moves.

IMO, Tiger is still pretty firmly #2. You can certainly make the argument for #1 already, but Im not buying and neither are the majority of people. .

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

The Tiger come from behind stuff in majors is such a poor argument but I have already gone over that...btw, this weekend they were discussing it and McCord said basically what I said, word for word.

Secondly, most guys dominate several courses..that's not new. Snead, the guy he is chasing, won on a course 8 times.

The thing is, Tiger only plays the bigger events...if he played the crappier tourneys, he would have 100 wins by now. So, he goes out and plays he best tourneys and beats the best fields every time he wins an event.

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

It is what it is in regards to coming from behind. Ultimately, you either win or you lose the tournament. Thats all that matters. However, failing to come from behind is a real stigma that people think about and consider. Some more than others. Just because you and McCord and whoever else don't factor it al all doesn't mean that a lot of other people, including "experts" don't factor it.

As I said above, for me its not a huge deal. If Tiger wins 4 more Majors and finishes tied with jack and wins 100 overall tournaments and they are all from the lead he'll go down as the unquestionable GOAT. Its one of the smaller things. You know a nitpicking thing. A word you mentioned numerous times when doing this series.

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

What do you need to have to make a podcast?  I want a podcast.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

You should do it. If your posting style carries over I think you'd be pretty entertaining.

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Skype, a mic, and a recording program.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

It is what it is in regards to coming from behind. Ultimately, you either win or you lose the tournament. Thats all that matters. However, failing to come from behind is a real stigma that people think about and consider. Some more than others. Just because you and McCord and whoever else don't factor it al all doesn't mean that a lot of other people, including "experts" don't factor it.

As I said above, for me its not a huge deal. If Tiger wins 4 more Majors and finishes tied with jack and wins 100 overall tournaments and they are all from the lead he'll go down as the unquestionable GOAT. Its one of the smaller things. You know a nitpicking thing. A word you mentioned numerous times when doing this series.

I never said McCord didn't factor it in...I said his reasoning for why he hasn't done it is the same as mine. It makes sense.

He is going to easily beat the record by 10 wins by the way.

He is only 3 away from tying it right now, with several events left that he is always in contention for.

He is likely to get to 100 wins...maybe more.

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Through 63 majors, Jack had 14 majors...Exact same as Tiger.

Jack's 64th major was the PGA.

Just saw this on ESPN..funny coincidence.

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Who do I have to send the check to get on the NFL preview episode.

Would love to do an over/under on win totals for all the teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=