414 replies to this topic

#381 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

That's a fair point, though I'd still go with internal options (Britton? Hammel?) before acquiring someone like K-Rod.

Looks to me like you're picking 2 random pitchers and just assuming that they'd be good bullpen arms. Why, I have no idea. 

@PeterDiLutis

#382 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Looks to me like you're picking 2 random pitchers and just assuming that they'd be good bullpen arms. Why, I have no idea. 

Because starters that get moved to the bullpen historically have success. For just one late, obvious example, see: Hunter, Tommy.

@DJ_McCann

#383 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Because starters that get moved to the bullpen historically have success. For just one late, obvious example, see: Hunter, Tommy.

That's interesting. I guess there's no need to get bullpen arms then. We'll just move every failed starter with a 5 ERA to the 'pen and go to battle. 

@PeterDiLutis

#384 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have no issue with that assumption...but here's the thing..we can still make those moves if needs be.

We won't be able to get KRod in August.

#385 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

I have no issue with that assumption...but here's the thing..we can still make those moves if needs be.

We won't be able to get KRod in August.

I'm not saying Hammel shouldn't be moved to the pen, or that he wouldn't be effective. All I'm saying is that if the organization feels they need another BP arm, that moving Hammel to the bullpen to save a prospect and "hope" that he pitches well out of the bullpen for the first time in his career isn't the winning way to go about it. That's the losing, cheap, half assed, lazy way to go about filling a perceived need.

@PeterDiLutis

#386 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

That's interesting. I guess there's no need to get bullpen arms then. We'll just move every failed starter with a 5 ERA to the 'pen and go to battle. 

You would do pretty well. And that way instead of having relievers you feel forced to keep due to cost in money or prospects, if they don't work you can drop them whenever you want.

@DJ_McCann

#387 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm not saying Hammel shouldn't be moved to the pen, or that he wouldn't be effective. All I'm saying is that if the organization feels they need another BP arm, that moving Hammel to the bullpen to save a prospect and "hope" that he pitches well out of the bullpen for the first time in his career isn't the winning way to go about it. That's the losing, cheap, half assed, lazy way to go about filling a perceived need.

Yeah, only the cheap teams who are stuck in decades of losing would do something like that. :P

@DJ_McCann

#388 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

@NorfolkTides To make room on the their roster for Francisco Rodriguez, the #orioles have optioned INF Danny Valencia to Norfolk

@levineps

#389 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

This is that condescension I was talking about...

@JeffLongBP

#390 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

This is that condescension I was talking about...

It doesn't seem condescending to me at all. Note: I'm not saying Peter is right or wrong here. I just take it as he's saying you are picking two starters and expecting them to be good in the 'pen. I think you should counter with two players who wouldn't be good choices.

@levineps

#391 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

Anyone think it's a coincidence that a flyball pitcher gave up a HR in his first appearance with the team? Obviously it doesn't mean much considering it was a 6-1 game and the O's offense looked dreadful but the long ball is something a lot of the people against the trade have brought up with him. Chances are he's going to start giving them up.

#392 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

Anyone think it's a coincidence that a flyball pitcher gave up a HR in his first appearance with the team? Obviously it doesn't mean much considering it was a 6-1 game and the O's offense looked dreadful but the long ball is something a lot of the people against the trade have brought up with him. Chances are he's going to start giving them up.

Sure....but how many? He may give up a couple, which is all it would take to normalize his HR rate but that doesn't mean it will be detrimental either, like last night.

It is a worry though.

#393 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

All I know is that is Nicky Delmonico was pitching he would give up a lot of homeruns. KRod is a far better pitcher.

#394 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

All I know is that is Nicky Delmonico was pitching he would give up a lot of homeruns. KRod is a far better pitcher.

To go even further Nicky carried a 6.49 era in school with 1 win and 1 loss he gave up 4 homers in 11 innings pitched!  He did have 10 k's though.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#395 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

It doesn't seem condescending to me at all. Note: I'm not saying Peter is right or wrong here. I just take it as he's saying you are picking two starters and expecting them to be good in the 'pen. I think you should counter with two players who wouldn't be good choices.

I was referring to the "Why, I have no idea" part. Post would've been perfectly fine without tacking on that subtle dig at the end IMO. Either way I'm done talking about it.

@JeffLongBP

#396 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I was referring to the "Why, I have no idea" part. Post would've been perfectly fine without tacking on that subtle dig at the end IMO. Either way I'm done talking about it.

I think you're reading too much into it. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt here. Internet speech is harder to tell sometimes. I'll never forget an email I got back in college from an administrator in a department who told me as such. She told me that she realized I didn't mean to come across as overly aggressive, but it did when reading an email, As a result, I try to word things very carefully in emails, on message boards, on Twitter, etc. I probably still make plenty of mistakes with this.

Anyways, back to the issue at hand, I think Peter doesn't understand why you chose those two at random. And just in case, you think I'm defending Peter for no reason here, I've criticized his opinions, both publicly and privately, just calling it as a see it.

@levineps

#397 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Good to get it out of his system now. Not really too concerned, he came in garbage time. I'd like to see how he does in a "real situation."

@levineps

#398 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

Garbage time.

Which is where his presence will most be felt.

#399 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Garbage time.

Which is where his presence will most be felt.

You've made your feelings known on this issue. I take it you'd be opposed to getting Miguel Cabrera since he's had multiple off-the-field issues including domestic violence. Or would you take exception there with how good he is?

Ideally, every player would be clean cut, but every team is going to have their shady cast of characters, some teams moreso than others.

@levineps

#400 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Miguel Cabrera would be incredibly overpaid as a garbage time pitcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=