#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

Poor Doc. He's pretty torn up about all this for sure. I'm not sure why he went there though, given the owners history with racism. I mean this shouldn't surprise any one. Not that people shouldn't be upset, but still, this is not shocking news at all.

Doc after the game: "we're headed home which would normally be our safe haven, but I'm not even sure if that's the case now."

#62 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

This could cause the Clippers to lose.

GS is the real deal. I still think LA rallies around this, as a team, and wins...but part of them doesn't want to win a title for him I'm sure.

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

It's not like the LA fans aren't going to have your back.

This was always going to be a tight series anyway.

#64 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

I know people are going to take this the wrong way, but that's dirty what the woman and whoever put her up to it did to Sterling. Just bait, bait, bait. You could tell Sterling wanted to just drop it and move on. She just kept throwing the bait.

Chris move this to the Clips thread. Thought that's where I was posting.

#65 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

I know people are going to take this the wrong way, but that's dirty what the woman and whoever put her up to it did to Sterling. Just bait, bait, bait. You could tell Sterling wanted to just drop it and move on. She just kept throwing the bait.
Chris move this to the Clips thread. Thought that's where I was posting.

So what?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#66 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:37 AM

You're having what you believe is a personal conversation in what I assume was probably a private place. Maybe his home.

It's dirty. It's a complete set up, and it's not like he was just sitting there ranting on his own. She was pulling teeth.

How many people could honestly say they've never had a private, personal conversation and said something that others could take offense to.

Listen, by all accounts, evev before this, Sterling is an ass. He's definitely been a horrible owner. No one is going to lose sleep if he is forced to sell. Imo, the ends don't justify the means here.

#67 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

You're having what you believe is a personal conversation in what I assume was probably a private place. Maybe his home.

It's dirty. It's a complete set up, and it's not like he was just sitting there ranting on his own. She was pulling teeth.

How many people could honestly say they've never had a private, personal conversation and said something that others could take offense to.

Listen, by all accounts, evev before this, Sterling is an ass. He's definitely been a horrible owner. No one is going to lose sleep if he is forced to sell. Imo, the ends don't justify the means here.

Unless you think that she completely goaded him into a racial debate out of the blue, chances are that this was not the first of these conversations that the two of them had. She just chose to record this one, and even if there was some pushing on her part it's obvious that it was more of a nudge than a shove.

Take that, add it to the pile of other events in Sterling's history, and this isn't something that can be washed away with "private conversation" or "isolated incident" or "bitch set me up".

He should have been pushed out a long time ago, and David Stern had plenty of chances to do it quietly. Now Silver has to do it publicly, and I hope he leaves a frozen pile of crap on Stern's front stoop.

@DJ_McCann

#68 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Just because it was a private conversation in his home doesn't make the remarks right, or change his feelings.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#69 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Of course not. The point is, you could do this to any owner in any sport. Any person in the world for that matter. Not necessarily a racist remark, but something that would some would take issue with.

#70 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

Of course not. The point is, you could do this to any owner in any sport. Any person in the world for that matter. Not necessarily a racist remark, but something that would some would take issue with.

But those guys don't have a very public history of racist remarks (and, more importantly, actions). The comparison here, as many have suggested, isn't Mark Cuban, but Marge Schott.

@DJ_McCann

#71 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

I think Bnick's point is valid. It doesn't make Sterling look any better or what he said any less offensive and wrong, but you could pretty much coax anyone in the world, in what they think is a private conversation with someone close, into saying something that would be embarrassing if broadcast to the world.

That said, I hope Silver is extreme in his handling of this. A good chance for him to put his stamp on something and giving a racist old man what he deserves is as good an opportunity as any.

@AdamWolff

#72 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

His history is irrelevant to this act. Its not like he has done anything illegal or is discussing anything illegal. I don't like how it went down.

Like I said, you could do this to anyone and eventually youre gonna get something.

As Herm Edwards said this morning, there is a history there. Eventually, Sterling was likely to burn himself again. He didn't need to be set up and baited in a personal conversation.

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

@NBCSports Magic Johnson has strong interest in buying the Clippers, a source tells @WojYahooNBA.

@levineps

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

@NBCSports Magic Johnson has strong interest in buying the Clippers, a source tells @WojYahooNBA.

But if that happened, a black man would actually be putting clothes on Sterlings back, a roof over his head, etc. That's not the way of the world, according to Sterling.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#75 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

His history is irrelevant to this act. Its not like he has done anything illegal or is discussing anything illegal. I don't like how it went down.

Like I said, you could do this to anyone and eventually youre gonna get something.

As Herm Edwards said this morning, there is a history there. Eventually, Sterling was likely to burn himself again. He didn't need to be set up and baited in a personal conversation.

You're right that you would eventually get something.

This is that something.

@DJ_McCann

#76 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I think Bnick's point is valid. It doesn't make Sterling look any better or what he said any less offensive and wrong, but you could pretty much coax anyone in the world, in what they think is a private conversation with someone close, into saying something that would be embarrassing if broadcast to the world.

If Mark Cuban got cut off in traffic while he was doing a phone interview and muttered under his breath, "F---ing *insert slur here*," that would be bad, and he would be deservedly punished. However, I think most people would understand the context and the fact that there is no history to show that he actually has racist views, so he would be forgiven.

Sterling has an entire, documented history of statements and actions that show this to be part of a pattern of behavior, not an isolated incident. That's the difference.

@DJ_McCann

#77 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Sterling shouldn't own an NBA team and I thought that before this recording was released.

#78 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Can someone give me a quick synopsis of this whole thing?

I haven't been following sports much at all this past weekend.

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Odd that after essentially being at the center of Sterling's rant, that Magic would then want to give him hundreds of millions of dollars.

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,360 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Odd that after essentially being at the center of Sterling's rant, that Magic would then want to give him hundreds of millions of dollars.

Well if not him, then someone else, so does it really matter much?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=