#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Not sure why not. He's blown a DP and got saved by Reynolds on a couple others with poor throws and they he almost blew a simple play with another bad throw and another save in the 9th against the Sox on Sunday. For a guy who doesn't hit, his defense is not outstanding. It's average and he makes too many mistakes. As far as the other poster not sure about making changes if it works, hitting Flaherty against RHP is working. I'm pretty close to wanting him in there gainst LHP as well. Can't be worse than Andino has been. Any hit for Andino is a big hit because it's so unexpected.

Agreed. Andino isn't really that good over there. He doesn't have an accurate arm at all. UZR has him at average...which I think is generous although is range does seem to be good enough.

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Not sure why not.

Didn't say he never screwed up.... just said he doesn't make me nervous, and he doesn't.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Didn't say he never screwed up.... just said he doesn't make me nervous, and he doesn't.

J.J. Hardy doesn't make me nervous. Robert Andino is certainly a capable 2B but I don't assume an out when a ball gets hit to him or he's turning a DP.

#24 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

J.J. Hardy doesn't make me nervous. Robert Andino is certainly a capable 2B but I don't assume an out when a ball gets hit to him or he's turning a DP.

Maybe we're using different standards. Hardy is better than not making me nervous, Hardy is about as automatic as anybody can get.

The main guy who makes me nervous these days is Davis in RF... and it's not because I think he won't catch it, I think he will catch it... but I swear to God, he somehow makes catching even a normal flyball look iffy...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#25 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Wait..I thought Quint was going to be our second baseman in 2013? ;)

Wha - ? I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 8-)

Besides - it was a nice "what if" scenario with Q. But now I know the only Q good enough to do anything of importance is Q from James Bond. Learned my lesson.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Wha - ? I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 8-)

Besides - it was a nice "what if" scenario with Q. But now I know the only Q good enough to do anything of importance is Q from James Bond. Learned my lesson.

I will say this about Q...his MiL stats show you someone who should be better than he is...but obviously, his game just doesn't translate to the majors. We have seen enough of a sample size to realize that.

#27 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

I will say this about Q...his MiL stats show you someone who should be better than he is...but obviously, his game just doesn't translate to the majors. We have seen enough of a sample size to realize that.

Yeah, which is really unfortunate but it is what is it. He was someone who got hot for about a month and is now swinging through everything or not swinging at anything.

#28 aurelius

aurelius
  • Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Don't know much about RF defensively, but I would be happy to see him get the majority of time at 2B, with RA getting the starts against lefties for the time being. Still a lot of question marks so obviously it won't play itself out until 2013.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Not sure why not. He's blown a DP and got saved by Reynolds on a couple others with poor throws and they he almost blew a simple play with another bad throw and another save in the 9th against the Sox on Sunday. For a guy who doesn't hit, his defense is not outstanding. It's average and he makes too many mistakes. As far as the other poster not sure about making changes if it works, hitting Flaherty against RHP is working. I'm pretty close to wanting him in there gainst LHP as well. Can't be worse than Andino has been. Any hit for Andino is a big hit because it's so unexpected.

This, all of this. From Andino's defense to the point where I'm also just about ready to see Flaherty over Andino against LHP.

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I really like how Flaherty has looked at the plate of late. I think he should be the starter.

#31 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Keep in mind that Flaherty has done his damage against pitchers that probably should not be in the majors right now or are just reaching the point of becoming relevant. The Aaron Cook GS was great and all, but probably has more to do with Cook being toast.
The 6 pitchers:
Zach McAllister 1
Derek Lowe 1
Colby Lewis 1
Henderson Alvarez 1
Aaron Cook 1
Garrett Richards 1

Obviously the HR's are not the only thing you look at, but that is Flaherty's biggest asset. He has some pop.
Flaherty still has a long ways to go before he becomes a MLB caliber player. There has certainly been progression this season, and anyone whom has watched can tell so. His plate discipline has certainly improved, but he still struggles with recognition of secondary pitches like the change. He is whiffing on 22.7% of change ups and they are pounding him away with the change.
Posted Image

I have no problem with the platoon currently going on. Andino is clearly better against LHP compared to RHP. It makes sense and keeps both guys fresh.
  • mweb08 likes this

#32 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm not sure you can say Flaherty is ready or not ready. The only way to find out is to play him. When he played towards the end of the season he looked pretty darn good. To say that none of his 6 homers came off of a stopper or another team's ace doesn't mean a whole lot. If he hit's 20 homers and they are all off of #4 and #5 starters, I'm okay with that. At 2B, I'm looking for at least average defense and someone who can turn the DP well. Flaherty's power there is intriguing. Towards the end of the season he seemed better at working counts and waiting for his pitch. Sure, he was still succeptible to swinging at the low breaking pitch but so are Adam Jones and Chris Davis. After watching Flaherty in September, I'd give him the job to lose in ST. Nothing wrong with signing a cheap alternative along with Andino as a backup plan in a worst case (Flaherty isn't ready) scenario.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Agree with RZ... he OPS'd 848 in September/October, and 818 in the playoffs (SSS alert, I know). I trusted that the organization saw something in him they liked to keep him stashed all year, and I think it's going to payoff.

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

There's a good chance that Roberts will be healthy for Spring Training right?

If he's healthy, he'll be given every opportunity to win the job.

I do think Flaherty has some potential, but I question how well he'll hit secondary pitches.

#35 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

He will definitely have the opportunity to earn a spot in ST (as of now at least).
I just do not see entirely much value in a guy that may hit 20 HR, but not contribute in other aspects. I think he will be exposed if given the opportunity to play more next season (With his current mold and no progression). More reps are definitely going to help, but I am not sure the Orioles should let him get them at the MLB level.

I do see what you guys are saying, and definitely agree with some aspects.

I am not sure how many people will agree with this...but I do not think he is a good 2nd basemen right now on the defensive side. He is slow at making transitions and has a lesser step than others. I would say he is a little below average right now. That is just my opinion though.

Regardless of how all that sounded, I am glad they kept onto him all year and DO think he can improve.

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

There's a good chance that Roberts will be healthy for Spring Training right?

If he's healthy, he'll be given every opportunity to win the job.

I do think Flaherty has some potential, but I question how well he'll hit secondary pitches.

Well, if he's given the opportunity to "win" the job, that would mean he'd have he opportunity to "lose" the job as well... which I would fully expect him to do. He's done. I have no faith at all in Roberts being remotely capable of being our full-time 2B next year. I do agree he'll be given the opportunity though... there's 10 million reasons why.

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Well, if he's given the opportunity to "win" the job, that would mean he'd have he opportunity to "lose" the job as well... which I would fully expect him to do. He's done. I have no faith at all in Roberts being remotely capable of being our full-time 2B next year. I do agree he'll be given the opportunity though... there's 10 million reasons why.

If he's healthy, he'd have to be really bad in ST to lose out to Flaherty or Andino imo. I doubt he'll be good next year, but I think he likely won't be bad enough to miss out on getting a chance to play.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

If he's healthy, he'd have to be really bad in ST to lose out to Flaherty or Andino imo. I doubt he'll be good next year, but I think he likely won't be bad enough to miss out on getting a chance to play.

I don't disagree. I hope I'm wrong.

#39 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

If he hit like he did this year that would be really bad, wouldn't it?

#40 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

I could see a scenario where BRob and Flaherty get into a platoon kind of situation next season if BRob's healthy. Not your usual lefty/righty platoon but one where Roberts gets the day off every third or fourth game and Flaherty steps in.

Andino would just rotate around the infield (3B/SS).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=