91 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

He's probably the greatest Olympian ever. Why wouldn't you try to add to that legacy if you are capable. Just keep piling the medals up.

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

He's probably the greatest Olympian ever. Why wouldn't you try to add to that legacy if you are capable. Just keep piling the medals up.

Because you don't want to hurt your legacy either? Getting out on top. It's always hard to do exactly that.

@levineps

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Because you don't want to hurt your legacy either? Getting out on top. It's always hard to do exactly that.

Yeah, well he'll know by 2015 if he's still got it. It's not like he's walking right back into the Olympics. It's also a lock that his program will be that much more reduced from '12. He'll probably just do butterfly,200 free and relays

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

I hope he comes back.

He can't hurt his legacy...only improve it.

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

I hope he comes back.

He can't hurt his legacy...only improve it.

If he finished outside the medals that wouldn't hurt his legacy?

@levineps

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

He better not hurt his legacy since he's on my Baltimore Mount Sportsmore!
  • Russ likes this

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

He better not hurt his legacy since he's on my Baltimore Mount Sportsmore!

I don't think that's changing no matter how he does, I do think he could hurt legacy somewhat if he didn't do as well in Rio as we're used to with him.

@levineps

#28 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

I don't think Phelps very much cares about his legacy.  And good for him for that.  He just strikes me as a guy who enjoys competing.

I think depending on how he performs leading up to the Games he'll probably go on a very limited program. 

#29 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I think he just wants an excuse to go to Brazil and hook up with some Brazilian chicks :lol:

• Oriole85 likes this

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

I think he just wants an excuse to go to Brazil and hook up with some Brazilian chicks :lol:

I've heard the whacky tobacky down there is pretty good. ;)

• DuffMan likes this

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yeah, well he'll know by 2015 if he's still got it. It's not like he's walking right back into the Olympics. It's also a lock that his program will be that much more reduced from '12. He'll probably just do butterfly,200 free and relays

BNick:  swimming expert.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

If he finished outside the medals that wouldn't hurt his legacy?

No...he hasn't been competing and is older.

He has almost all the records...not winning a medal at this point shouldn't hurt his legacy.

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

BNick:  swimming expert.

Far from it. I just know/remember Phelps programs from the Olympics and his best events.

Edit: Oh what the hell. I'll take the swimming expert label. (prays no one exposes me :oops: )

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

No...he hasn't been competing and is older.

He has almost all the records...not winning a medal at this point shouldn't hurt his legacy.

I disagree with this, I think there's something to going out on top. I don't think this playing with house money. If he struggled, people would remember it.

@levineps

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

I disagree with this, I think there's something to going out on top. I don't think this playing with house money. If he struggled, people would remember it.

I'm not sure this is true when it comes to Olympians though. It's once every 4 years. It's not like a guy stayed around for 4-5 more years of playing 80 or 160 games a year in another sport and were terrible. Is a few days worth of competitions, 4 years apart, going to be a lasting memory for anyone?

I don't really think so, but that's just my opinion. I get what you're saying.

I think the upside is far greater than the downside with this. If he loses, people will have somewhat expected it given his age at that point. But if he wins, it just adds to his legacy in an even bigger way.

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

I'm not sure this is true when it comes to Olympians though. It's once every 4 years. It's not like a guy stayed around for 4-5 more years of playing 80 or 160 games a year in another sport and were terrible. Is a few days worth of competitions, 4 years apart, going to be a lasting memory for anyone?

I don't really think so, but that's just my opinion. I get what you're saying.

I think the upside is far greater than the downside with this. If he loses, people will have somewhat expected it given his age at that point. But if he wins, it just adds to his legacy in an even bigger way.

Likewise, I get what you are saying here and you definitely have a point. You probably only wear out your welcome by an Olympics instead of by a few years. I'd also say though Olympians are judged by fewer competitions and easier to remember specific ones.

In terms of the upside, sure. I do think he can embarrass himself however. Likely his legacy will stay intact and possibly even improve.

@levineps

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

People remembering it and it effecting his legacy are 2 different things.

No one in their right mind should say, well maybe he isn't as good as we thought he was.

#38 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

People remembering it and it effecting his legacy are 2 different things.

No one in their right mind should say, well maybe he isn't as good as we thought he was.

I disagree with the first part, no one is going to say the 2nd part. When MJ was with the Wizards, he obviously wasn't as good, but nobody was saying that maybe he isn't as good as we thought. If athletes wanted to they could go until they are forced out the door and sometimes they do, but many don't want that.

@levineps

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

I disagree with the first part, no one is going to say the 2nd part. When MJ was with the Wizards, he obviously wasn't as good, but nobody was saying that maybe he isn't as good as we thought. If athletes wanted to they could go until they are forced out the door and sometimes they do, but many don't want that.

So, you think his legacy is effected even if people don't think worse of him as a swimmer?

That doesn't make sense.

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

So, you think his legacy is effected even if people don't think worse of him as a swimmer?

That doesn't make sense.

I think people will think he made a mistake coming back if he embarasses himself in the Olympics and that will affect his legacy. That's my opinion here!

@levineps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=