#101 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:36 PM

My middle son is a pretty decent athlete.  Has played travel ball all the way up, played ODP this year, and is playing for a pretty high level club team now.  Always played forward, led the team in goals and assists every year, etc.

He's in 9th grade and trying out for HS this year.  I show up to open fields a few weeks back and he's got goalie gloves on.  They had no one coming out for goalie so they asked him if he'd consider being at least a part time keeper.  I think it's a compliment to him?  I told him to say "Yes sir...I'll do anything I can to help the ball club...take it one day at a time" etc. haha.  So we'll see how this goes.  I suspect not well.  He thinks he was put on this earth to score goals, not prevent them lol.

When I was playing in college our coach (in training and games) had us backup keepers playing forward. Stuck with me and I did likewise my entire coaching career. Point was that a forward knows what needs to be done with the ball in a given attacking circumstance to result in goals. Terrific training to put a keeper in the goal scorers position to see the attack developing from that perspective. Being a goal scorer your son understands what needs to happen to achieve a threat on goal. That makes them also understand when standing between the posts what the attackers are thinking and where the danger is likely to come from...and hence how to defend it.

Best of luck to him and keep us posted on how he does whichever end of the pitch he ends up on!

• JeremyStrain likes this

#102 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:31 PM

Wish they could do something to combat the sports washing. Countries like Qatar, Saudi, Russia, China want to appear “normal” by hosting major international events. But of course, they aren’t.

Maybe during commercial breaks between halves or games they could run ads showing the horrific ways these events were made possible. Or run a ticker during games of names of the hundreds of workers who died building the facilities.

Hard to fault the players for not boycotting when they get maybe 3 chances at a World Cup in their lives. Or an Olympian who maybe has a once in a lifetime shot at gold. Hard to ask hardcore fans to boycott when it’s only every four years. Those parties know what’s up. But the casual fan who doesn’t pay attention otherwise shouldn’t be walking away being like “Qatar is really swell. I think I’d like to travel there.”

And I’d be fine when the Olympics comes to LA that some of the ad time is devoted to the homeless epidemic out there. Ask people to donate money. Let the world know there is this issue. Don’t just be like “Olympics go Hollywood!! Heyooooooo!! Glamorous City of Angels!!! Here’s Simone Biles on the red carpet!!”
@BSLMikeRandall

#103 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:30 PM

Wish they could do something to combat the sports washing. Countries like Qatar, Saudi, Russia, China want to appear “normal” by hosting major international events. But of course, they aren’t.

Maybe during commercial breaks between halves or games they could run ads showing the horrific ways these events were made possible. Or run a ticker during games of names of the hundreds of workers who died building the facilities.

Hard to fault the players for not boycotting when they get maybe 3 chances at a World Cup in their lives. Or an Olympian who maybe has a once in a lifetime shot at gold. Hard to ask hardcore fans to boycott when it’s only every four years. Those parties know what’s up. But the casual fan who doesn’t pay attention otherwise shouldn’t be walking away being like “Qatar is really swell. I think I’d like to travel there.”

And I’d be fine when the Olympics comes to LA that some of the ad time is devoted to the homeless epidemic out there. Ask people to donate money. Let the world know there is this issue. Don’t just be like “Olympics go Hollywood!! Heyooooooo!! Glamorous City of Angels!!! Here’s Simone Biles on the red carpet!!”

Understand your thought process Mike but I have very mixed feelings on this. When I turn on sports I want to focus on the game and nothing else. Guess I am old school but if I want social and political messages I can turn on the news....24/7

And for the sport there is a definite downside. Casual or even moreso a new potential fan turns on the WC to see what all the excitement is about. See the real behind the scenes crap about Qatar, as an example, and they simply say well not watching or supporting that garbage and turn it off. Instead of building a fanbase its one more potential you just lost.

#104 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:01 PM

My middle son is a pretty decent athlete. Has played travel ball all the way up, played ODP this year, and is playing for a pretty high level club team now. Always played forward, led the team in goals and assists every year, etc.

He's in 9th grade and trying out for HS this year. I show up to open fields a few weeks back and he's got goalie gloves on. They had no one coming out for goalie so they asked him if he'd consider being at least a part time keeper. I think it's a compliment to him? I told him to say "Yes sir...I'll do anything I can to help the ball club...take it one day at a time" etc. haha. So we'll see how this goes. I suspect not well. He thinks he was put on this earth to score goals, not prevent them lol.

Mine got invited to ODP last year but I was worried about the commuting for practice and it being her first full year playing keeper. She just moved to a much higher level club this year, playing Premier 2 so we will see.

It’s funny though the best ones are either the ones that just know they are keepers from jump and own it or the ones that get converted from forward, I think it’s because they know what scorers are thinking when they come in on them and they react just that tiny bit faster for it.

Good luck to your kid!
  • glenn__davis and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@JeremyMStrain

#105 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:43 PM

Understand your thought process Mike but I have very mixed feelings on this. When I turn on sports I want to focus on the game and nothing else. Guess I am old school but if I want social and political messages I can turn on the news....24/7

And for the sport there is a definite downside. Casual or even moreso a new potential fan turns on the WC to see what all the excitement is about. See the real behind the scenes crap about Qatar, as an example, and they simply say well not watching or supporting that garbage and turn it off. Instead of building a fanbase its one more potential you just lost.

I felt the same way some time ago, stick to sports, but then realized it doesn’t affect me. Every NFL game in big bold letters right on the field, and on the back of most helmets, “End Racism”. Great. I agree. Doesn’t affect my viewing or enjoyment of the game. If I didn’t agree with that message, a football game would the least of my problems.

On the bright side, with the World Cup, if you hate the message, you can root for Qatar :). In the NFL if you hate the message, well, there are no all white football teams.

Not 100% sure, but FIFA knows it messed up, right, and ousted the guy who took bribes to give it to Qatar? At a minimum since they are going forward with it, and they won’t say anything negative about how the WC was built, then don’t show anything positive either. The broadcast should in no way show off how “awesome” Qatar is. Whatever the Qatar equivalent is of the clips of the Chesapeake Bay/Inner Harbor/steamed crabs/crab cakes that you see during home Ravens games is, don’t show any of that. Other than signs or patches that say “Qatar 2022”, I wouldn’t acknowledge the place.

You can have I guess a great viewing experience focused on the games and players without the sports washing of constantly showing Qatar off as some normal, amazing, beautiful, waterfront paradise where dreams come true. When it’s you know….not. Even if you don’t want the other extreme of constant reminders of enslaved Nepalese people who died for a three week spectacle where all the brand new stadiums will then lie dormant for eternity.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#106 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 01:49 PM

When I was playing in college our coach (in training and games) had us backup keepers playing forward. Stuck with me and I did likewise my entire coaching career. Point was that a forward knows what needs to be done with the ball in a given attacking circumstance to result in goals. Terrific training to put a keeper in the goal scorers position to see the attack developing from that perspective. Being a goal scorer your son understands what needs to happen to achieve a threat on goal. That makes them also understand when standing between the posts what the attackers are thinking and where the danger is likely to come from...and hence how to defend it.

Best of luck to him and keep us posted on how he does whichever end of the pitch he ends up on!

Not to hijack this thread about my own kid which most I'm sure don't care about but just to tell a fun story...

His 1st scrimmage in goal, he let up a goal in 7 seconds (he has the video and we timed it haha).  Other team started with the ball, played it back, played a long ball over the top, they beat our defenders, he hesitated to come out and once he didn't he had no chance.  Was a tough one to read, big bounce right outside the box.  He made a few nice saves after that and was able to smile afterwards.  Learning experience haha.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#107 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2022 - 04:44 PM

Not to hijack this thread about my own kid which most I'm sure don't care about but just to tell a fun story...

His 1st scrimmage in goal, he let up a goal in 7 seconds (he has the video and we timed it haha).  Other team started with the ball, played it back, played a long ball over the top, they beat our defenders, he hesitated to come out and once he didn't he had no chance.  Was a tough one to read, big bounce right outside the box.  He made a few nice saves after that and was able to smile afterwards.  Learning experience haha.

Tell your kid the most important piece of advice I ever got. Came from a keeper way long time ago who was a keeper for the Baltimore Bays. Told me in no uncertain terms. "There is only one shot you give a damn about. The next one. Period."

Went on to explain that it doesn't matter if you have made 10 saves so far in a game or just gave up your third goal. There will be time when the game is over to think back over and analyze what you did right and what you could have done better on. But during the game you dang well better be thinking about nothing but where is that next shot coming from and what do I need to do to prevent it from happening or for making the save. Thats it.

• JeremyStrain and glenn__davis like this

#108 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 August 2022 - 08:54 AM

Yup, I know exactly what you mean. That's the biggest thing I've worked with mine on, that first step reaction. If it's back to the goal line or you freeze for a min, it's already over, they are going to score. SO much of being a keeper is being aggressive and controlling the angles. We walked out to the goal one day and I showed her exactly what the shooter sees based on where she moves, from there it was just a matter of building the reflex, but she got a lot better at it. Her lateral diving is kind of ridiculous though, at least 2-3 saves a game with those. Her only problem right now is she's 5'0 even and playing in 11v11 goals. Every goal she's given up has been right at the crossbar...just not much she can do on those yet.

• glenn__davis, Mashed Potatoes and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@JeremyMStrain

#109 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:37 AM

Was Nike drunk when they designed the kits for the teams participating in the WC this year?  So many bad ones, I thought the USA away one was awful until I saw England's home kit.  Terrible

#110 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 September 2022 - 01:06 PM

Well my take on the kits is way different than most. Its probably an age thing. I think ours are fine. Nothing good or bad. But I really don't give two shits. The WC to me is all about the play on the field. When it comes to kits its all much ado about nothing.

But I guess its the way of sports the last 10 years. How many uni combinations can a team come up with and all the odd ball colors.....green Red Sox....lol.

#111 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 October 2022 - 07:24 AM

Less than a month to go!!!

#112 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:25 AM

I am going to do 2 articles prior to the WC.

1. Focused article on just the USMNT and what to expect in each of our 3 group stage matches.

2. Overall article on the WC. What's different this time around and my projections for each of the 8 groups.

Knock on wood but right now we are just about as healthy as we have been in a long time. We really need Chris Richards to get back on the field for a match or two before our camp.

• DuffMan likes this

#113 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:53 AM

I am going to do 2 articles prior to the WC.

1. Focused article on just the USMNT and what to expect in each of our 3 group stage matches.

2. Overall article on the WC. What's different this time around and my projections for each of the 8 groups.

Knock on wood but right now we are just about as healthy as we have been in a long time. We really need Chris Richards to get back on the field for a match or two before our camp.

Please don't put out the article on the USMNT until after all league play is done prior so as to not jinx it and someone gets hurt.

#114 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 October 2022 - 10:34 AM

Please don't put out the article on the USMNT until after all league play is done prior so as to not jinx it and someone gets hurt.

LOL, that's the plan!

#115 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 12:17 PM

I saw Carnival has sent like 12 cruise ships to act as hotel rooms as there isnt enough hotel beds for the WC.

#116 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 October 2022 - 05:32 PM

I saw Carnival has sent like 12 cruise ships to act as hotel rooms as there isnt enough hotel beds for the WC.

This past spring my son and I briefly looked into going. The problem (besides getting tickets to the US games) were two fold.

1. There were almost zero rooms available in Doha. The cheapest when we looked in March was $1000/night. There were some much cheaper options via VRBO type arrangements but they didn't look all above board. I have talked to some guys that got some crazy expensive rooms but then are going to cramp 6-10 guys in there on the floor. Yuk.

So many fans are opting to stay outside Qatar and fly in for games.

2. This option is somewhat doable but you are at the mercy of the airlines.

a. Do you risk flying in several hours before the match and then trying to fly back to wherever right after the match?

b. We looked at the flights and its doable IF they run on time. If you wanted to fly reasonably early and long enough after the matches its was kinda doable but then you'd have some long down time. What do you do in Doha after a game then gets over say at midnight and your flight isn't till noon? Get a hotel? Oh wait that's why you aren't staying there in the first place.

c. The flights aren't that cheap so if you have say 3 matches to go to that's another large expense.

So there was one last option and that was to book a package trip via one of the airlines (Qatar). You can still get a package deal that has RT air from Atlanta. 7 nights in a hotel in Doha. Tickets to the US - Wales, US - England, and one other unspecified match. The cost of that package is $9K. If you wanted to go to all 3 US matches and a fourth unspecified match you got 13 nights hotel all for something like $14K.

#117 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

2026 will arrive before you know it, and there are matches in Seattle and Vancouver, about a 3 and 6 hour drive away from me, respectively. I can wait.

• BSLSteveBirrer and Old Man like this

#118 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:32 AM

LOL, that's the plan!

Even hinting at it was a bad idea apparently.  Turner was dealing with a groin injury and missed his Europa league game yesterday, oof.

#119 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,199 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 October 2022 - 09:04 AM

Even hinting at it was a bad idea apparently.  Turner was dealing with a groin injury and missed his Europa league game yesterday, oof.

The official word from Arsenal is that it was precautionary to make sure he didn't suffer a worse injury.

The unofficial word is that they really wanted to beat PSV so started Ramsdale.

If the unofficial version is at least partly correct I would have one question for Arsenal - Hey how did that work out for you?  LOL

• DuffMan likes this

#120 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 October 2022 - 10:33 AM

McKennie dealing with a quad issue.  15 days recovery time is the estimate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=