729 replies to this topic

#81 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,407 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 13 June 2022 - 07:26 PM

I am happy (but a LOT less than I would have been) that the Aussies got in. And its smart managing to switch keepers toward the end of extra time if you have a really great PK keeper. But that buffon they put in for Australia makes me hang my head in shame as a keeper. What a total ass hat. Getting in the shooters head is one that but that was just an abysmal display.

Damn, that's harsh. I'm not as amused by his routine as many seem to be, but hey, it works for him so no biggie.

#82 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:11 PM

I am happy (but a LOT less than I would have been) that the Aussies got in. And its smart managing to switch keepers toward the end of extra time if you have a really great PK keeper. But that buffon they put in for Australia makes me hang my head in shame as a keeper. What a total ass hat. Getting in the shooters head is one that but that was just an abysmal display.

I was going to ask you about that. I've never seen anything like it before. I guess it's allowed because he didn't come off the line.

#83 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:22 PM

I was going to ask you about that. I've never seen anything like it before. I guess it's allowed because he didn't come off the line.

Yeah its technically allowed. But bush league as hell IMO. And it didn't help one iota. The only shot he stopped was just a normal save of a PK. The other miss by Peru went off the post. His antics didn't bother the Peruvian shooters at all. Just made himself and his team look like buffoons. But they they are headed to Qatar so maybe they don't care.

#84 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,407 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:21 AM

So World Cup visitors will get seven years in Qatari prison for hooking up? I guess the no alcohol part greatly reduces the odds of that happening though. Great choice of venue, FIFA. Fun times!

https://www.tmz.com/...rs-behind-bars/

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#85 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:13 AM

So World Cup visitors will get seven years in Qatari prison for hooking up? I guess the no alcohol part greatly reduces the odds of that happening though. Great choice of venue, FIFA. Fun times!

https://www.tmz.com/...rs-behind-bars/

Possessing drugs is punishable by death as well.

And if you’re LGBT, expect years of imprisonment, fines, and punishments up to death.

They are so progressive over there.

Wonder how many companies splattering rainbow pride on their products this month will also be prominently featured sponsors for the WC.
  • Mashed Potatoes and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#86 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,407 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:18 PM

Possessing drugs is punishable by death as well.

And if you’re LGBT, expect years of imprisonment, fines, and punishments up to death.

They are so progressive over there.

Wonder how many companies splattering rainbow pride on their products this month will also be prominently featured sponsors for the WC.

The beer and condom sponsors must really be pleased with their marketing expenditures this cycle.

#87 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 June 2022 - 05:57 PM

Its just so freaking bizarre that FIFA awarded the WC to Qatar. Effed up on so many levels. 

• Don Quixote likes this

#88 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:24 PM

Its just so freaking bizarre that FIFA awarded the WC to Qatar. Effed up on so many levels.

It’s an attempt to normalize countries like Qatar, Russia, Saudi, China, etc… They continue to spend endless supplies of money (cause they have no democracy so no one is going to vote these people out of power when the events return zero profits) to host these grand events (WC, Olympics, F1, makeshift golf super league, WWE dream match events) so that they can trick average Joe viewer into thinking “what a swell, beautiful place.” Because they certainly won’t talk on the telecast about the negatives. They are are just going to show the beautiful parts of the country, fancy cars, show you how the .01% live there, show off the beautiful stadiums but ignore how it all got built.

But wasn’t FIFA bribed in this case by Qatar? Could no one have stepped in when the top of the chain at FIFA was kicked out and move it somewhere else?
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#89 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:36 PM

Silver lining: this normalizing may benefit the US in the near future with where this country is trending.

#90 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:03 PM

Silver lining: this normalizing may benefit the US in the near future with where this country is trending.

We have our problems. But it’s not even close to how those other countries operate. How many people died building Camden Yards? Or any modern stadium in the US for that matter? Did those workers go home to their families every night, or live in a concentration camp until it was complete…or they died and were literally mailed home in a box to be picked up at an airport by the family?

I’d also say there is a giant difference in a business owner who won’t bake a cake for a gay wedding, or a politician even who doesn’t believe in same sex marriage and wants to repeal that, versus a government who would put you in jail, maybe put you through genital mutilation, maybe even put you to death just for being gay.

I’m extremely unhappy with the direction our country is going, but we’re not even close to say, making women dress like beekeepers.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#91 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:22 PM

We have our problems. But it’s not even close to how those other countries operate. How many people died building Camden Yards? Or any modern stadium in the US for that matter? Did those workers go home to their families every night, or live in a concentration camp until it was complete…or they died and were literally mailed home in a box to be picked up at an airport by the family?

I’d also say there is a giant difference in a business owner who won’t bake a cake for a gay wedding, or a politician even who doesn’t believe in same sex marriage and wants to repeal that, versus a government who would put you in jail, maybe put you through genital mutilation, maybe even put you to death just for being gay.

I’m extremely unhappy with the direction our country is going, but we’re not even close to say, making women dress like beekeepers.

I said the way we're trending, which is toward an undemocratic country with substantial diminishment of rights for many. I'm not saying that our current situation stacks up to a greatest hits of human rights atrocities.

#92 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:36 AM

Just to refresh some points I have made in the past.

1. Yes FIFA was bribed. Reports as much as almost $1B to members to vote for Qatar. That there were bribes made is not in question. Even FIFA posed some lifetime bans on some members. US DOJ indicted FIFA vice president Jack Warner and a host of others.

BUT

2. None of that should have mattered. The FIFA bid process required countries to bid on a normal summer World Cup. Which Qatar did making some outlandish technical claims about how they could deal with the stadiums to control the heat. In the technical evaluation it was shown that their approach was smoke and mirrors and not technically possible. So the bid should have been thrown out. The vote should have been irrelevant. Their bid should have been tossed and a revote taken amongst the remaining acceptable bids. But instead FIFA decided it was ok to have a winter World Cup. And not club football and fans will pay the price.

#93 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 10:54 PM

I can't wait to not watch this abject travesty. Just chillin' from about November 12 until Boxing Day.

#94 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2022 - 09:37 AM

I can't wait to not watch this abject travesty. Just chillin' from about November 12 until Boxing Day.

Then don't.

I will watch damn near every freaking match and for sure 100% of every minute of every US match. Sure Qatar is hosed up but its the WC and when it comes around only once every 4 years I only have so many left....lol

• DuffMan likes this

#95 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:24 AM

Then don't.

I will watch damn near every freaking match and for sure 100% of every minute of every US match. Sure Qatar is hosed up but its the WC and when it comes around only once every 4 years I only have so many left....lol

This.   Should they have been awarded hosts, no absolutely not, did they cheat to get to be the hosts, yes, is it wrong to have this tournament when they are instead of in the Summer, of course.   Will I still watch, 100%

Like Steve I will be watching every minute of the U.S. play.  I am really looking forward to the first week of the tournament as it coincides with Thanksgiving.  I will have extra free/down time and plan on watching as much as I can!   On a related note my oldest is 12 now and has really leveled up her fandom/knowledge , and she may be more excited than me.  I'm looking forward to watching these games with her.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#96 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2022 - 11:01 AM

This.   Should they have been awarded hosts, no absolutely not, did they cheat to get to be the hosts, yes, is it wrong to have this tournament when they are instead of in the Summer, of course.   Will I still watch, 100%

Like Steve I will be watching every minute of the U.S. play.  I am really looking forward to the first week of the tournament as it coincides with Thanksgiving.  I will have extra free/down time and plan on watching as much as I can!   On a related note my oldest is 12 now and has really leveled up her fandom/knowledge , and she may be more excited than me.  I'm looking forward to watching these games with her.

For the first time in about 4 WCs I will have my whole family together for all the US matches. So stoked!

• DuffMan likes this

#97 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 August 2022 - 11:03 AM

Mine likes to loosely follow, but she's starting to get more into it. I blame it on being a Keeper, they tend to be kind of aloof from the rest of the team, like they are their own island.

She did go to her first Spirit game like 2 weeks ago, and she's been trying to get me to get tix to the National Team game when they come in Sept.

@JeremyMStrain

#98 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2022 - 11:59 AM

Mine likes to loosely follow, but she's starting to get more into it. I blame it on being a Keeper, they tend to be kind of aloof from the rest of the team, like they are their own island.

She did go to her first Spirit game like 2 weeks ago, and she's been trying to get me to get tix to the National Team game when they come in Sept.

Tell her to take charge. Keepers should be one of the most vocal players on the team. They play the most important position after all.....lol

#99 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:01 PM

Tell her to take charge. Keepers should be one of the most vocal players on the team. They play the most important position after all.....lol

My middle son is a pretty decent athlete.  Has played travel ball all the way up, played ODP this year, and is playing for a pretty high level club team now.  Always played forward, led the team in goals and assists every year, etc.

He's in 9th grade and trying out for HS this year.  I show up to open fields a few weeks back and he's got goalie gloves on.  They had no one coming out for goalie so they asked him if he'd consider being at least a part time keeper.  I think it's a compliment to him?  I told him to say "Yes sir...I'll do anything I can to help the ball club...take it one day at a time" etc. haha.  So we'll see how this goes.  I suspect not well.  He thinks he was put on this earth to score goals, not prevent them lol.

#100 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:03 PM

Unfortunately won’t see a lot of this as it will conflict with a lot of football. But will def try to see the USA matches.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=