#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:56 PM

Has there ever been a 1 week window? Is it even safe? I feel like a lack of chemistry could lead to more injuries just by the nature of what that does to a team.

#22 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

Ricker - I don't think it increases the injury risk much. The upside of this is that the players will be in prime condition since its during league play. I dont think the lack of cohesion is really a higher injury risk its just less good soccer. I guess we will see?

Mike - I understand your view on Qatar and its valid. I so wish the big federations had pushed this issue in the courts. Several suits were filed but they just didn't have much push behind them. Now that said I would strongly be against boycotting WC2022 just like I was avidly against boycotting the Olympics in 1980. It sounds right on paper but the problem is that nothing changes because of it. What happened in 1980 is that a whole host of athletes around the world lost out on their chance to participate in their dream. And having known some athletes at this level its a really tough pill to swallow.

The problem with boycotting the WC from a players perspective is two fold.

1. They may get injured down the road and never return to that level of play and miss out on their opportunity. Look no further than the injuries. Charlie Davies got seriously hurt in a car crash and missed the 2010 WC. His return from injury never got him back to the level he had been at. 

2. Players countries may not qualify again during a given players peak performance. 

Now IF a bunch of countries had formally announced a boycott when the bid was awarded then perhaps FIFA could have been forced to make a change. But again what they should have done is to stand fast with their lawsuits that the bid was illegal in the first place which it was.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#23 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 01:24 PM

Everything about this tournament has been a goddamned sham; why would this be any different? Heartily agree that a multitude of national/international bodies should have done more about this (host selection) from the off, and maintained the pressure. There having been such established ineptitude and corruption around selection with numerous Olympics/World Cups, especially in the last generation or so, it's hard to be surprised by much.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#24 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 02:44 PM

Ricker - I don't think it increases the injury risk much. The upside of this is that the players will be in prime condition since its during league play. I dont think the lack of cohesion is really a higher injury risk its just less good soccer. I guess we will see?

Mike - I understand your view on Qatar and its valid. I so wish the big federations had pushed this issue in the courts. Several suits were filed but they just didn't have much push behind them. Now that said I would strongly be against boycotting WC2022 just like I was avidly against boycotting the Olympics in 1980. It sounds right on paper but the problem is that nothing changes because of it. What happened in 1980 is that a whole host of athletes around the world lost out on their chance to participate in their dream. And having known some athletes at this level its a really tough pill to swallow.

The problem with boycotting the WC from a players perspective is two fold.
1. They may get injured down the road and never return to that level of play and miss out on their opportunity. Look no further than the injuries. Charlie Davies got seriously hurt in a car crash and missed the 2010 WC. His return from injury never got him back to the level he had been at.
2. Players countries may not qualify again during a given players peak performance.

Now IF a bunch of countries had formally announced a boycott when the bid was awarded then perhaps FIFA could have been forced to make a change. But again what they should have done is to stand fast with their lawsuits that the bid was illegal in the first place which it was.

I get that. The bid should have been revoked, but it wasn’t. But countries have known for many years now how this event is being built. As well as what Qatar’s thoughts are on the most basic of human rights.
@BSLMikeRandall

#25 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:11 PM

I think I'm gonna have a heart attack and die from not surprise.

https://apnews.com/a...eb3553d402da7d1

#26 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:19 PM

Unreal but no surprise.

• Don Quixote likes this

#27 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 November 2021 - 07:08 PM

https://www.uefa.com...-play-off-draw/

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:45 AM

CBS Sports: Italy to miss World Cup after shocking loss to North Macedonia

https://www.cbssport...rtugal-advance/

#29 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 March 2022 - 03:41 PM

FYI

FS1 has picked up the WC draw. Friday at 1130 eastern time. WOOT!!!

Pray we draw Qatar as our Pot 1 opponent!!!

• You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:39 AM

ESPN: World Cup finals draw in Qatar puts spotlight on a tournament like no other

https://www.espn.com...t-like-no-other

2022 World Cup finals bracket and fixtures schedule

https://www.espn.com...xtures-schedule

#31 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:02 AM

FYI

FS1 has picked up the WC draw. Friday at 1130 eastern time. WOOT!!!

Pray we draw Qatar as our Pot 1 opponent!!!

What the fudge am I watching?

Spare me your propaganda and give me the groups!

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:07 AM

Why do they need to do something akin to Olympic opening ceremonies for the freaking draw?

And how many migrant workers died to build that stage?

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:14 AM

“You’re trying to accommodate the entire world, not just American sensibilities.”

Yeah, Im betting people watching in Senegal and South Korea are just as annoyed right now.

#34 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:14 AM

Stringer!

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:17 AM

You’ve lost me FIFA, I’ll just look up the draw later. I have a life to get on with.

#36 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:42 AM

You’ve lost me FIFA, I’ll just look up the draw later. I have a life to get on with.

I should have went and ran my errand first, would have been back in time.  

#37 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:54 AM

Umm that was weird how he pronounced H

#38 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:56 AM

USA in B with England

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#39 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2022 - 11:57 AM

USA will play on Monday November 21st, Friday November 25th and Tuesday November 29th.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#40 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:00 PM

England is a middle of the road Pot 1. We could have done worse for sure. What really matters is the Pot 3 and 4 teams we get.

• DuffMan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=