#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

I hear next FIFA plans to get involved in a land war in Asia.

@DJ_McCann

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

“If this World Cup is to become a party for the people..."

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*gasps for breath*hahahahahahahahaha! :lol:

@DJ_McCann

#4 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, because no one else knew it was a blatant mistake from the first rumblings...oh, FIFA....

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

Baltimore Sun: Qatar organizers considering a 48-team World Cup for 2022

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

I think more teams would be a good thing. However you still have the same amount of teams in the elim stage.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

I think more teams would be a good thing. However you still have the same amount of teams in the elim stage.

The problem is financial. As proposed, and they acknowledge its an issue, is the potential to have one game and go home. Just like when international friendlies are scheduled. You just don't see teams schedule an overseas single match. Its too expensive for the limited value of a single match.

Now my bottom line reasoning is simple. Every country in the world that registers with FIFA is eligible for the World Cup. They all get to play in the exact same qualification processes (each Federation sets its own qualifying methods to pare down to the number of spots they are allocated). We don't need more teams at the final tournament. You want to get there? Great, get better and qualify.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

And for the record the award to Qatar was actually illegal. The Request for Proposal from FIFA was to bid on a summer tournament. Qatar did so albeit with a absolute joke as to how they were going to deal with the extreme temperatures. Their bid should have been tossed as technically infeasible. But they awarded it anyway. And we know that money changed hands to buy votes.

Then Qatar and FIFA decided that indeed the suggested approach to keeping temperatures in the stadiums was not feasible so they agreed to move the tournament to the winter. Right in the middle of the big five UEFA leagues seasons.  So here are the issues with that.

1. It takes an absolute minimum of two weeks (and really three weeks) for national teams to have their training camps and several friendlies to prepare. There is a reason why top clubs play better soccer than national teams. The club teams players are all on the same page daily. When they get to the national team they are coming from many different systems and in many cases even play different positions and they are not in tune with their teammates.

2. The tournament takes a month with a minimum of two weeks for every team. How long of a break do the European leagues take? With the money involved I am not sure you can shut down the leagues for any less than 6 weeks. Some could argue that you could shut down for two weeks for camps, two weeks for the group stage, and one week for rest. That's five weeks. But I am sure bigger clubs would scream that you can't start the leagues back up when their key players are still at the WC. So if they do it right they should shut down for 8 weeks. Just how do the leagues handle such a long shutdown? Play into June for their season?  Shorten the number of games?

3. Much like any other sport played at the international level. There is increased injury risk for the players playing all these extra games right in the middle of their season. A season for a club who is paying them a butt load of money and they don't want to risk that money.

And none of these issues even begin to talk about the actual construction issues occurring. 

Qatar holding the WC is a joke. Lets not make it an even bigger joke. Now at the end of the day they'll host the WC. It will be fun, well because its the WC. But when some stud gets hurt and misses club time....well FIFA we told you so.

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

And for the record the award to Qatar was actually illegal. The Request for Proposal from FIFA was to bid on a summer tournament. Qatar did so albeit with a absolute joke as to how they were going to deal with the extreme temperatures. Their bid should have been tossed as technically infeasible. But they awarded it anyway. And we know that money changed hands to buy votes.

Then Qatar and FIFA decided that indeed the suggested approach to keeping temperatures in the stadiums was not feasible so they agreed to move the tournament to the winter. Right in the middle of the big five UEFA leagues seasons.  So here are the issues with that.

1. It takes an absolute minimum of two weeks (and really three weeks) for national teams to have their training camps and several friendlies to prepare. There is a reason why top clubs play better soccer than national teams. The club teams players are all on the same page daily. When they get to the national team they are coming from many different systems and in many cases even play different positions and they are not in tune with their teammates.

2. The tournament takes a month with a minimum of two weeks for every team. How long of a break do the European leagues take? With the money involved I am not sure you can shut down the leagues for any less than 6 weeks. Some could argue that you could shut down for two weeks for camps, two weeks for the group stage, and one week for rest. That's five weeks. But I am sure bigger clubs would scream that you can't start the leagues back up when their key players are still at the WC. So if they do it right they should shut down for 8 weeks. Just how do the leagues handle such a long shutdown? Play into June for their season?  Shorten the number of games?

3. Much like any other sport played at the international level. There is increased injury risk for the players playing all these extra games right in the middle of their season. A season for a club who is paying them a butt load of money and they don't want to risk that money.

And none of these issues even begin to talk about the actual construction issues occurring. 

Qatar holding the WC is a joke. Lets not make it an even bigger joke. Now at the end of the day they'll host the WC. It will be fun, well because its the WC. But when some stud gets hurt and misses club time....well FIFA we told you so.

IIRC, wasn't a major part of their bid that they were going to rely on air conditioning technology that wasn't even invented (and of course still isn't) yet?

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

IIRC, wasn't a major part of their bid that they were going to rely on air conditioning technology that wasn't even invented (and of course still isn't) yet?

Yes, that's correct. Being an engineer, albeit chemical, I had some background in this. At the end of my career I was our companies energy manager which required me to take some classes in energy management and of course HVAC was a big part of that. I asked some our our HVAC experts about this and the general comment was along these lines.

In order to keep the playing surface around 75 degrees when the ambient air was 110 would require an insane amount of air turnover. Now we didn't think you could even build that big a system but for the sake of discussion we said ok lets just assume you could build it (cost not being a consideration).

The result would be that the air turnover would have to be so high that the wind velocity in the stadium would have been north of 40mph. Anybody that has ever played a soccer game in winds even close to that will tell you that is not playable.

• Chris B likes this

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:47 PM

Here's the next reason to hate FIFA for going with the Qatar bid for 2022.  They just announced the window by which teams have to release their players for the WC.

Remember that this will take place right during the playing season for every European league. If you have read anything I have said about national team play and its quality you have heard me say that one of the major problems with national teams and having superior performance is that they simply don't get to train together on a routine basis like they do for their club teams.

Historically, for summer WCs national teams trained for about 3 weeks before the WC and have a friendly or two to prepare. Ain't happening next year. The official release window is ONE week before matches start. Now everybody is going to have the same problem but don't look for very good play until well until the end of the group stage. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:05 PM

Well, silver lining...maybe that will be somewhat of an equalizer for an unexpected team to do well.

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:53 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but why is choosing Qatar the reason they announced the window will be so small?

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:50 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but why is choosing Qatar the reason they announced the window will be so small?

Due to extreme heat there in the summer they have to play in late fall. That's right in the middle of club season, and FIFA was probably under pressure, due to their own greed/incompetence, to interrupt as little of it as possible.

Of course the Qataris guaranteed us a miracle way to cool the stadiums when they were first awarded the WC. Guess how that worked out?

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:00 PM

The WC is always held in the summer (June/July) when the vast majority of soccer leagues around the world are in their off season. So most countries that have qualified will hold a camp several weeks long. Additionally, countries that are not qualified will also hold camps. Then there will be several friendlies between countries that are going to the WC and those who are not. This is a win win for everybody. Teams headed to the WC get an excellent window to prepare and outside countries get some excellent matches for their players.

Now fast forward to WC 2022. Its being held from November 21 to December 18th. Right smack dab in the midst of the regular season for most leagues world wide. So to facilitate the WC those leagues as well as Champions League and Europa League will shut down for the this period. So to minimize this disruption FIFA is only opening up the official window for one week prior to matches beginning.

This just means that the first few matches during the group stage are really going to be a bit of a learning experience and getting a team in synch since there won't be any friendlies. The second part which could be a disaster is for clubs whose players sustain an injury. Lets take say Harry Kane as an example. In previous World Cups if a Harry Kane were to be injured in June/July there would still be over a month for them to recover before their club play started. In this case the Tottenham Spurs would be without their best player for the first month of the EPL returning to play.

Its a disaster that was easily avoided. If you want to read my thoughts on this go up and read Post #8. The short version is having it in Qatar in absolute bull shit.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:02 PM

Well, silver lining...maybe that will be somewhat of an equalizer for an unexpected team to do well.

Perhaps, Mike. I tend to think it actually really screws the lesser teams. When a team is not playing well as a unit the result often times just ends up boiling down to who had the most talent. The way lesser teams could historically surprise people was by being 100% in synch with each other.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:03 PM

Thanks guys. I don't think you're being dramatic when you call it a disaster. Why would they be willing to let the World Cup product suffer this much? I would think the World Cup is probably the biggest opportunity to expand the fan base of the game, and it'll probably be sloppy as all get out the first few matches.

#18 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:12 PM

The WC2022 award to Qatar was fixed. Simple as that.

https://en.wikipedia...p_controversies

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, I do remember that stuff. Pretty crazy.

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:52 PM

I feel like countries should boycott this WC. Unless you’re cool with slave labor among other things.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=