2297 replies to this topic

#1501 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 10:15 PM

Chick Corea, 79... from "a rare form of cancer"....

https://www.theguard...z-musician-dies

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1502 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:18 PM

Rush Limbaugh, 70, from cancer

she/her

#1503 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

At least he held on long enough to see the first woman of color sworn in as vice president.

God speed, Rush Limbaugh. 

#1504 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:03 AM

Carman Licciardello (known as just Carman) died yesterday at 65.  I would imagine most here haven't heard of him, but he was one of the pioneers of contemporary Christian music.  A lot of his music hasn't aged all that well but he was the man back in the late 80's / early 90's.

#1505 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:35 PM

RIP Ted Patterson, long time Baltimore sportscaster and nice guy passes away at 74

@mikeghg

#1506 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

Carman Licciardello (known as just Carman) died yesterday at 65. I would imagine most here haven't heard of him, but he was one of the pioneers of contemporary Christian music. A lot of his music hasn't aged all that well but he was the man back in the late 80's / early 90's.

I've seen him live many times. Big favorite of our families growing up. Sad to hear this. Way too young.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#1507 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:07 PM

I've seen him live many times. Big favorite of our families growing up. Sad to hear this. Way too young.

Yeah, I saw him once at the arena, probably around '96-ish or so.  He put on a good show.

#1508 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, I saw him once at the arena, probably around '96-ish or so. He put on a good show.

As the worship leader at our church growing up, many of his hits were in our rotation.

#1509 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:17 PM

As the worship leader at our church growing up, many of his hits were in our rotation.

That's awesome.  I know you've shared in the past that you've largely moved away from such things.  I run the youth ministry puppet team at my home church, and "Sunday School Rock" is still a very popular part of the rotation.  The kids love it.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1510 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:20 PM

Vi Ripken

#1511 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:58 PM

Irv Cross, 81, former Eagles and Rams CB, and later co-host of the NFL Today with Brent Musberger and Phyllis George (who passed just last year). Cross was the trailblazer for former African American athletes who went into broadcasting. He was also one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet....my college roommate and I got a pair of Eagles tix from him through my roommate’s dad, who knew Irv.

#1512 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:23 AM

RIP Joe Altobelli, the manager the last time the Orioles won a World Series.

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

#1513 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:17 AM

Prince Philip is supposed to be on his death bed. Prince Harry being advise to hurry and say his goodbyes

#1514 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 12:45 AM

Boxing legend, former middleweight champion, “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler. 66

#1515 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:39 AM

Boxing legend, former middleweight champion, “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler. 66

A true champion.  I don't watch boxing anymore, mainly because IMO, it does not match up to the Hagler and the guys of his era.

RIP Champ.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#1516 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:03 AM

A true champion. I don't watch boxing anymore, mainly because IMO, it does not match up to the Hagler and the guys of his era.

RIP Champ.

He was truly " Marvelous."

RIP
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1517 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:19 AM

A true champion.  I don't watch boxing anymore, mainly because IMO, it does not match up to the Hagler and the guys of his era.

RIP Champ.

That Hagler-Hearns fight.

#1518 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:13 AM

Murray Walker, 97... died due to, well, being 97...

If you're not an F1 fan, never mind.

If you are an F1 fan and don't know about him, you need to find some youtube vid's of 1980's and 1990's races and discover him (ideally, when he partnered with former F1 champ and notorious fast-living James Hunt).   Murray Walker was Vin Scully on steroids... except for rain delays and red flags, no time for casual stories, before teaming with Hunt he did it all by himself... including running his stop watch to tell you the gaps... 2 hours of non stop frantic race-calling.  Amazing guy... people around the world loved him, mistakes and all.  His natural exuberance and love of the sport was contagious, and a couple generations of people around the globe got sucked into being F1 fans due to his coverage of it on BBC TV for ages and then on ITV (UK's 1st non gov't channel... with commercials).

p.s. One favorite moment... during a rain delay at the German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring, he looked out at the Eiffel mountains as seen from the window in the commentary box, suddenly pointed to a particular place and said, "I remember driving a tank over there."   And he did... as a 22-yr-old Captain in the Royal Army, commanding a platoon of Sherman's into Germany...

• 24fps, DuffMan and russsnyder like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1519 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

I was a Tommy Hearns fan, we share a Birthday and I am REALLY dorky about dumb stuff like that to this day, even moreso in 1985 at 14 years old. 

Anyhow, I really wanted to go see the Hagler/Hearns fight on Closed Circuit TV at the Towson Center, and my father said he'd take me if I got a good grade in Algebra (which I was terrible at). Long story short, I did enough to get to go, and while it didn't turn out well for "my guy", it was the greatest fight I've ever seen, albeit a short one. 

Really good memories of those 4 insanely good fighters and their rivalries, Hagler, Leonard, Duran, and Hearns. RIP Marvelous. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@beginthebegin71

#1520 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 12:05 PM

Murray Walker, 97... died due to, well, being 97...

If you're not an F1 fan, never mind.

If you are an F1 fan and don't know about him, you need to find some youtube vid's of 1980's and 1990's races and discover him (ideally, when he partnered with former F1 champ and notorious fast-living James Hunt). Murray Walker was Vin Scully on steroids... except for rain delays and red flags, no time for casual stories, before teaming with Hunt he did it all by himself... including running his stop watch to tell you the gaps... 2 hours of non stop frantic race-calling. Amazing guy... people around the world loved him, mistakes and all. His natural exuberance and love of the sport was contagious, and a couple generations of people around the globe got sucked into being F1 fans due to his coverage of it on BBC TV.

p.s. One favorite moment... during a rain delay at the German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring, he looked out at the Eiffel mountains as seen from the window in the commentary box, suddenly pointed to a particular place and said, "I remember driving a tank over there." And he did... as a 22-yr-old Captain in the Royal Army, commanding a platoon of Sherman's into Germany...

Never heard of him before this post.

Really good stuff.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=