2298 replies to this topic

#1401 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:46 AM

That's a hell of a life. Gonna try to watch The Right Stuff soon (I've re-read it recently). Yeager needs to be even more famous than he is.

Chuck Yeager is the very definition of bad ass. RIP sir
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1402 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:48 AM

RIP Dick, he was one of the most feared sluggers in the late 60’s and 70’s. I agree, he should be in the Hall.

His brother Hank was a major league player too, but nowhere near Dick

I loved watching Dick Allen hit. He was an exciting player to watch in the batter's box. I remember his brother from baseball cards. Kind of a utility guy IIRC.

#1403 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:34 AM

That's a hell of a life. Gonna try to watch The Right Stuff soon (I've re-read it recently). Yeager needs to be even more famous than he is.

Absolutely.

#1404 24fps

24fps
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, TN

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:31 AM

NY Times obit for Chuck Yeager:

https://www.nytimes....eager-dead.html

#1405 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:40 AM

Chuck Yeager was a bad-ass....

WWII - Piloting a P-51 Mustang. He had 11.5 kills, 5 came on 1 mission) and of which 1 of them was a ME-262 (German jet for those unaware). He flew 61 mission.

Post-WWII - His high number of flight hours and maintenance experience qualified him to become a functional test pilot of repaired aircraft, He was the 1st person to break the sound barrier on October 14, 1947, flying the X-1 Glamorous Glennis at Mach 1.05 at an altitude of 45,000 feet.

Awards -

This just touches on his many accomplishments.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#1406 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:41 AM

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#1407 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:00 AM

Chuck Yeager was a bad-ass....

WWII - Piloting a P-51 Mustang. He had 11.5 kills, 5 came on 1 mission) and of which 1 of them was a ME-262 (German jet for those unaware). He flew 61 mission.

Post-WWII - His high number of flight hours and maintenance experience qualified him to become a functional test pilot of repaired aircraft, He was the 1st person to break the sound barrier on October 14, 1947, flying the X-1 Glamorous Glennis at Mach 1.05 at an altitude of 45,000 feet.

Awards -

This just touches on his many accomplishments.

a true top gun living legend.

#1408 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:01 PM

Yeager passing hits hard. It's too bad he wasn't let go to space, but he made immense contributions to our ability to get there. Although much of his fame didn't come expressly from what he did in wartime, he may have been the most famous World War II veteran we had left, and his Vietnam service is routinely overlooked in the popular sphere. A man of great work ethic, skill, and contribution, indeed - a true hero and legend.

• russsnyder likes this

#1409 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:18 PM

RIP Ray Perkins, long time coach and also a tough as nails wide receiver for the Baltimore Colts

@mikeghg

#1410 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2020 - 06:20 PM

also RIP Jack Dawson local sports broadcaster for WMAR.

@mikeghg

#1411 24fps

24fps
  • Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, TN

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:46 PM

John Le Carré (born David Cornwell) died today at the age of 89.  Not an athlete, but definitely an Olympic class writer - considered by many to be the greatest spy novelist ever.  Myself included.

RIP John Le Carré

#1412 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:13 PM

CBS Sports: Kevin Greene, Hall of Fame pass rusher who played with four teams in 15 NFL seasons, dies at 58
https://www.cbssport...ons-dies-at-58/

#1413 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 12:33 PM

Hall of Fame Pitcher Phil Niekro.

#1414 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 12:05 AM

Segment, or article, however you choose to consume it, from Sunday Morning:

https://www.cbsnews....e-lost-in-2020/

• russsnyder likes this

#1415 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

Hall of Fame Pitcher Phil Niekro.

The 7th HOF baseball player to pass in 2020.

\RIP Knucksie.

@mikeghg

#1416 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:26 AM

Fashion designer Pierre Cardin, aged 98.

https://www.bbc.com/...europe-55476062

#1417 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:37 PM

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann on 'Gilligan's Island,' dies of Covid-19 complications at 82

https://www.cnn.com/...obit/index.html

And Mary Ann over Ginger...

#1418 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:21 PM

Dawn Wells, Mary Ann on 'Gilligan's Island,' dies of Covid-19 complications at 82

https://www.cnn.com/...obit/index.html

And Mary Ann over Ginger...

RIP Mary Ann.  We saw her in a play years ago. she was a very pretty woman.  I sat through the entire play before I realized it was her.

@mikeghg

#1419 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

Gilligan trivia:

* Everybody had a first name and last name... except Gilligan... nobody knows if it was his first name or last name.

* The intro sequence to episodes of the first season showed a US flag at half mast... they did this because the pilot episode was finished on the same day that JFK got shot.

* During the first season, the US Coast Guard set up a meeting with the producer... to discuss all the mail they were getting from viewers who thought the show was real and were PO'd at the Coast Guard because they didn't sail out to rescue them.
  • russsnyder likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#1420 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:55 AM

Gilligan trivia:

* Everybody had a first name and last name... except Gilligan... nobody knows if it was his first name or last name.

* The intro sequence to episodes of the first season showed a US flag at half mast... they did this because the pilot episode was finished on the same day that JFK got shot.

* During the first season, the US Coast Guard set up a meeting with the producer... to discuss all the mail they were getting from viewers who thought the show was real and were PO'd at the Coast Guard because they didn't sail out to rescue them.

I'll take your word for it, but I thought Gilligan was his last name.

The coast guard stuff is hilarious.

Who knew Gilligan's Island was reality TV?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=