Photo

Baltimore fans: over the last eighteen months, what's your favorite game?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

The thread about how losing is easier to write about brought up a great point by Mackus:

How about comparing this year to last year?  Which season did/does everyone enjoy more?

Last year, until about August, I was enjoying the winning record, but always sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop.  They were winning, but in a flukey, unsustainable way.  Once they started kicking ass later in the season, I bought in fully and loved the stretch run and the playoffs.  The Friday night Wild Card round is one of my favorite sports days as a fan ever, probably even above the Ravens Super Bowl wins for me.

I feel like I'm enjoying this season and the high level of play just as much as the end of last season.  It feels awesome to expect to win each night, even if the SP matchup is unfavorable.  Expecting to contend all year long makes the tough losses sting a little more than they would otherwise, but it's totally worth it.

This has been an -excellent- 18 months for the Orioles and Ravens, Ibanez, Lee Evans and Cundiff notwithstanding. The question here is...what's your favorite game over this timeframe?

For me (and where I watched them, for no reference other than my own):

#1: Ravens at Denver, AFC Divisional game (Watched at: Mile High)

#2: Orioles at Texas, Wild Card game (Watched at: Bar in Towson)

#3: New York at Orioles, Divisional game #2 (Watched at: Oriole Park)

#4: Ravens vs Niners, Super Bowl (Watched at: Arcos at Fells)

#5: New York at Orioles, Thursday, September 6th (when Jones, Reynolds and Davis all homered) (Watched at: Home)

#6: Ravens at Patriots, AFC Championship Game (Watched at: Bateman's in Reisterstown)

#7: Ravens vs. Tigers: Dickerson! (Watched at: Home)

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

The thread about how losing is easier to write about brought up a great point by Mackus:

This has been an -excellent- 18 months for the Orioles and Ravens, Ibanez, Lee Evans and Cundiff notwithstanding. The question here is...what's your favorite game over this timeframe?

For me (and where I watched them, for no reference other than my own):

#1: Ravens at Denver, AFC Divisional game (Watched at: Mile High)

#2: Orioles at Texas, Wild Card game (Watched at: Bar in Towson)

#3: New York at Orioles, Divisional game #2 (Watched at: Oriole Park)

#4: Ravens vs Niners, Super Bowl (Watched at: Arcos at Fells)

#5: New York at Orioles, Thursday, September 6th (when Jones, Reynolds and Davis all homered) (Watched at: Home)

#6: Ravens at Patriots, AFC Championship Game (Watched at: Bateman's in Reisterstown)

#7: Ravens vs. Tigers: Dickerson! (Watched at: Home)

Let me just start out by saying as I'm much more of an O's fan than a Ravens game. I'd say given everything being significant underdogs/the beatdown in Baltimore not too far before, I think the Ravens winning in Denver was the "best game."

In terms of my personal level of enjoyment, with the assistance of this list, in this order:

1)ALDS Game 2- I watched at OPACY, so I'm more biased with this game

2)WC Game- watched at my parents place, lived/died with every pitch it seemed. Great to make the "real playoffs."

3)Ravens at Denver Divisional playoffs- still can't believe they won, one of the best NFL games I've ever watched

4)Super Bowl- thought they win, they did.

5)Sept 6- Don't forget it was Cal's statue day as well

6)AFC Champ Game

7)ALDS Game 1- Yes it was a loss, but it quite something to wait out the rain/sit through the cold for the first playoff game in Baltimore in 17

8)September 30- kind of breaking the rules here since it wasn't a game per se. Clinching a playoff spot was great, just wish that they could've celebrated at home instead of in the air.

9)Dickerson

I'm sure there's others I left off the list, just going by what Epic provided. I'm sure more hardcore Ravens fans are going to list playoff game against Indy pretty high, since it was Ray's last home game.

Epic- That's awesome you went to that game at Mile High, I can only imagine what it was like.

@levineps

#3 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Cool topic....

1) Super Bowl.  Watched it from the lower level of the Super Dome.  Just an amazing weekend.

2) AFC Divisional game against Denver.  'Nuff said

3) Wild Card win against Texas.  We watched it outside on my neighbors projector by their pool.  We had a firepit going with Orange Crushes on tap.

4) AFC Champ Game.  The adrenaline rush at that very moment when you realized that the Ravens were heading to the Super Bowl

5) ALDS Game 2. I took my Dad to the game, had a great time

6) ALDS Game 1.  I remember looking at the Jumbotron pregame and just starring at it.  I couldn't believe it said 'ALDS'  I couldn't believe I was there.

7) Dickerson.  That was magic.

@Miller192

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Super Bowl. I mean its kind of obvious but it had drama and we were world champs.

I have to admit two of the greatest games on everyones list I didn't get to see most of live. I was away for most of the O's Sept 6th game. Listened to Strop blow the lead on the radio and got inside the door and turned on the tv just in time to watch Adam hit the HR.

Also, missed most of the Broncos game live too. Ugh. I had it recorded but was reffing youth basketball games at the YMCA. I knew I wasn't going to be able to avoid hearing updates even though I tried. Ended up getting updates on the phone. My last game finished right as the game was headed into overtime. Ended up watching OT in the gym of the Y.

So much drama in all of those Yanks games too. SO much goodness to choose from.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Trying to sort them all out, I'm sure I'm forgetting some:

1.  Wild Card Game - Watched at The Cardinal in Canton with a group of friends

2.  Super Bowl - Watched at my house with a large group of friends, then joined the celebration down on the square after

3.  ALDS Game #2 - Watched from OPACY, a win in the playoffs!!

4.  Divisional Game @ Denver - Watched at a friend's house with a small group, went out celebrating after

5.  ALDS Game #4 - Watched from my house with a few friends

6.  Chris Davis game - Watched at my house, had a BSSC football game so missed the Sox comeback to tie, got back for all the extras

7.  ALDS Game #1 - Watched from OPACY...despite the loss and the long rain delay, was surreal to be at an O's playoff game

8.  AFC Championship - Watched at a friend's house with a small group of friends, out celebrating afterwards

9.  18-innings in Seattle - 4am finish time, watched at home and had the game thread here going strong with a group of us

10.  Hey Diddle Diddle Ray Rice up the Middle - Only regular season game that had anything truly memorable from last year

I was overseas for the Sept 6th game, so I found out about it when I woke up in the morning.  Sad I missed that game.  Also was on vacation at a bachelor party for Dickerson's HR this year.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Trying to sort them all out, I'm sure I'm forgetting some:

1.  Wild Card Game - Watched at The Cardinal in Canton with a group of friends

2.  Super Bowl - Watched at my house with a large group of friends, then joined the celebration down on the square after

3.  ALDS Game #2 - Watched from OPACY, a win in the playoffs!!

4.  Divisional Game @ Denver - Watched at a friend's house with a small group, went out celebrating after

5.  ALDS Game #4 - Watched from my house with a few friends

6.  Chris Davis game - Watched at my house, had a BSSC football game so missed the Sox comeback to tie, got back for all the extras

7.  ALDS Game #1 - Watched from OPACY...despite the loss and the long rain delay, was surreal to be at an O's playoff game

8.  AFC Championship - Watched at a friend's house with a small group of friends, out celebrating afterwards

9.  18-innings in Seattle - 4am finish time, watched at home and had the game thread here going strong with a group of us

10.  Hey Diddle Diddle Ray Rice up the Middle - Only regular season game that had anything truly memorable from last year

I was overseas for the Sept 6th game, so I found out about it when I woke up in the morning.  Sad I missed that game.  Also was on vacation at a bachelor party for Dickerson's HR this year.

Good call on the CD game/18 inning marathon game. I really enjoyed staying up with the diehards on Twitter for that one. I'll probably do a revised list eventually. I'd add the Wilson Betemit walkoff game (I was there) and Teagarden walkoff against Detroit.

@levineps

#7 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

My brain was barely functional for the Seattle game. I remember being on facebook with two other people, and I was just a zombie the next day.

105.7 kept me up, because there were so many groggy people going, "Yeah, I watched the game...ugh."

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Can we get a link to the 18 inning game thread here. Pretty sure I was posting. Know I was def up and saw it. Like a 4:30 AM finish I believe.

#9 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

http://www.baltimore...918-os-seattle/

#10 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yeah, that was awesome. I wasn't super active towards the end, only because it was a serious struggle to summon enough energy to watch the game, let alone type a coherent statement. A great memory from a season that had a lot of them.

@AdamWolff

#12 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

The ALDS Game 2 is definitely tops for me.  It was my first time attending a playoff game, and the atmosphere was just outstanding.  People chanting "Let's Go O's" before the gates even opened.  Walking down the aisle after the last out and literally everyone you passed giving you a high-five or fist bump.  It was just awesome.

The WC game was great, too.  I wanted that game so badly, more than I've ever wanted a game in my life I think.  Even more than the MD NCAA title game.

I'll also mention because I don't think I've seen it yet the "Don't throw it away, don't throw it at all!" game.  Big win over a division rival, with Chris Davis running with McLouth as if he were a javelin after the game winning hit.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

The ALDS Game 2 is definitely tops for me.  It was my first time attending a playoff game, and the atmosphere was just outstanding.  People chanting "Let's Go O's" before the gates even opened.  Walking down the aisle after the last out and literally everyone you passed giving you a high-five or fist bump.  It was just awesome.

The WC game was great, too.  I wanted that game so badly, more than I've ever wanted a game in my life I think.  Even more than the MD NCAA title game.

I'll also mention because I don't think I've seen it yet the "Don't throw it away, don't throw it at all!" game.  Big win over a division rival, with Chris Davis running with McLouth as if he were a javelin after the game winning hit.

Lived and died with every pitch of the WC Game. I know many think it should be a multi-game format, too much to chance for one game -- I don't think it's the same intensity of best of three. I always find it less tense watching the games at the stadium than on TV for whatever reason.

@levineps

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

1.) AFC Divisional @ Denver - I just don't think I'll ever see my favorite team win a more epic game. It can't be topped, though I suppose it could be matched at some point. Watched this game at a good friend's house, and was recorded reacting when Tucker's kick sailed through the up rights... that video is on YouTube, and embarrassing as all get out.

2.) AL WC win vs. Texas - Watched at home.

3.) September 6th Cal game vs. the Yankees... amazing atmosphere - Section 344.

4.) Super Bowl

5.) ALDS game 2

6.) AFCCG over the Pats - Revenge achieved!

7.) Chris Davis - Boston Marathon Game

8.) Hey Diddle Diddle 

9.) T. Smith beats the Pats at home

It's ashame it's been more than 18 months, but the season ending game vs. the Red Sox to close out the 2011 campaign would be #3 on my list if it were within the timeline.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

1.) AFC Divisional @ Denver - I just don't think I'll ever see my favorite team win a more epic game. It can't be topped, though I suppose it could be matched at some point. Watched this game at a good friend's house, and was recorded reacting when Tucker's kick sailed through the up rights... that video is on YouTube, and embarrassing as all get out.

2.) AL WC win vs. Texas - Watched at home.

3.) September 6th Cal game vs. the Yankees... amazing atmosphere - Section 344.

4.) Super Bowl

5.) ALDS game 2

6.) AFCCG over the Pats - Revenge achieved!

7.) Chris Davis - Boston Marathon Game

8.) Hey Diddle Diddle 

9.) T. Smith beats the Pats at home

It's ashame it's been more than 18 months, but the season ending game vs. the Red Sox to close out the 2011 campaign would be #3 on my list if it were within the timeline.

I'm surprised you put the Cal Game over the ALDS Game 2. I can't really judge since I wasn't there, must've been really something. If there's one regret I have last season, it's not going to that game -- knowing that he was being honored before the game. He's the only one I can really relate to of the honorees since even Eddie was traded before I could really start following the O's. The rest of the games, you can't really predict if it's going to be good or not.

I was thinking myself to put Game 162 of 2011 as a honorable mention. You could aruge that kind of start this run.

I haven't seen anyone mention beating Duke, either time, Fair to put that in there? I know it wasn't the most exciting season for MD basketball.

@levineps

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm surprised you put the Cal Game over the ALDS Game 2. I can't really judge since I wasn't there, must've been really something. If there's one regret I have last season, it's not going to that game -- knowing that he was being honored before the game. He's the only one I can really relate to of the honorees since even Eddie was traded before I could really start following the O's. The rest of the games, you can't really predict if it's going to be good or not.

I was thinking myself to put Game 162 of 2011 as a honorable mention. You could aruge that kind of start this run.

I haven't seen anyone mention beating Duke, either time, Fair to put that in there? I know it wasn't the most exciting season for MD basketball.

I was at the Cal game, but wasn't at the ALDS game... so that is really what it comes down to. When the atmosphere is that insane, you know how much of a difference it is being there soaking it all in vs. watching it on TV. You can still get a sense of the vibe on TV, but it's just not the same.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

I was only thinking Orioles and Ravens here.  I was at the game in CP, was a great win and a crazy game.  I still don't know if I'd put it above any of the O's or Ravens games mentioned.  It's always phenomenal to beat Duke, but it doesn't quite have the meaning it did back when the team was truly great.  It's sort of a tiny bit bittersweet when a win over Duke is more important than every other game combined because of how mediocre the team is otherwise.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I was at the Cal game, but wasn't at the ALDS game... so that is really what it comes down to. When the atmosphere is that insane, you know how much of a difference it is being there soaking it all in vs. watching it on TV. You can still get a sense of the vibe on TV, but it's just not the same.

No doubt about it, I'm sure if I'm at the Super Bowl that goes to #1 on my list. Heck, if I somehow had gotten to the Wild Card Game, I'm sure I put that ahead of ALDS Game 2, better yet if I could somehow get a clubhouse pass. The games you attend, the better they are, the better your seats, etc definitely clouds it.

@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

I was only thinking Orioles and Ravens here.  I was at the game in CP, was a great win and a crazy game.  I still don't know if I'd put it above any of the O's or Ravens games mentioned.  It's always phenomenal to beat Duke, but it doesn't quite have the meaning it did back when the team was truly great.  It's sort of a tiny bit bittersweet when a win over Duke is more important than every other game combined because of how mediocre the team is otherwise.

Fair enough, I also get the sense that the O's/Ravens are the clear top two teams of many on here with the Terps being a distant third.

@levineps

#20 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, I definitely thought of a few of the MD games, but like you said it's just not that great when the team is mediocre otherwise.  If anything, it would just tick me off even more to watch them beat a team like Duke, then go lay an egg against BC or someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=