SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

http://mlbbuzz.yardb... ... _post=true

I really hope not...This would be a pretty poor signing.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,718 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

I like Cuddyer, but with the salary and years it would take, it does not make a lot of sense for a player at his age.

In the MLB section I posted a FanGraphs piece looking at why it was good for the Twins to replace Cuddyer with Willingham.

I'd much rather see the O's spend more signing Cespedes, vs. signing Cuddyer.

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

How can you not prefer to see Reimold out there vs Cuddyer?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,718 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

My guess is they like that Cuddyer could also play 1st and possibly 2nd if needed.

Ultimately, I think they want to add 1 bat. If they were to add Cuddyer for LF, they could still use Reimold at DH, and Davis at 1st/3rd.

Maybe with the Twins now seemingly out on Cuddyer, he will come cheaper? Still, why not take any money you would use on him, and really go after the younger player in Cespedes?

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

My guess is they like that Cuddyer could also play 1st and possibly 2nd if needed.

Ultimately, I think they want to add 1 bat. If they were to add Cuddyer for LF, they could still use Reimold at DH, and Davis at 1st/3rd.

Maybe with the Twins now seemingly out on Cuddyer, he will come cheaper? Still, why not take any money you would use on him, and really go after the younger player in Cespedes?

Why would you expect the Orioles to make the proper decision?

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... rsday.html

#7 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

The O's are always looking to replace Reimold. First Pie, then Vlad. For whatever reason they don't seem to think he is the solution.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

According to Roch, the Orioles are still looking for the left handed OFer that can play CF and LF. That tells me that they want a platoon with Reimold.

#9 33rdst

33rdst
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

SG, I agree that the O's are looking for someone to platoon with Reimold. I've always thought that Buck is satisfied with the slg he has in the line up and is looking for a little more speed and OBP to add to the top of the order. It seems Reimold has the speed, OBP and power to fill the bill.

#10 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Explain this please...

What has Reimold done to make you think he can be a quality LF over the course of 162 games?

Yeah, he's younger, cheaper, and has a higher upside.

But if winning games is a priority (which I'm not saying it should be, just saying) you take Cuddyer over Reimold.

At some point, these young guys have to earn their starting job. Not saying Cuddyer is the answer, but Reimold probably isn't either.
@PeterDiLutis

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Explain this please...

What has Reimold done to make you think he can be a quality LF over the course of 162 games?

But if winning games is a priority (which I'm not saying it should be, just saying) you take Cuddyer over Reimold.

At some point, these young guys have to earn their starting job. Not saying Cuddyer is the answer, but Reimold probably isn't either.

In the last 4 years, Cuddyer has had a WAR of 0, 2.8, .8 and 3.1. Obviously, that's very up and down. Since he became an everyday player, he has been worth, on average, 1.8 WAR per season. That is worth about $7.5M, give or take.

He hasn't played LF since 2006. As a RFer, he has been below average in most seasons and in some seasons, well below average.

He is a guy that will give you in the area of an 800 OPS and have a decent OBP and walk rate.

However, that is up until this point in his career. He turns 33 in March and would likely require a 4 year deal to come here and probably 10+ million a year.

So, by doing that, you are saying he will be better well into his 30s than when he was in his prime....that's a pretty poor bet and one you are likely to lose every single time.

He is known to be a great clubhouse guy and teammate...But so what? This team needs real, difference making talent, not a good guy who has little upside and is going to be making a lot of money at an old age.

As for Reimold...I happen to agree with you. 2010 was a disaster but one I am willing to give him a pass for because of his physical and mental issues. This past season was the season he should have done more with.

Now, he ended the season very strong and that was encouraging but still, that was a small sampling of at bats.

What you know about Reimold is that when he is healthy, he has a good approach at the plate, will take a walk and has a lot of power. His upside is higher than Cuddyer's and he won't cost you any money. Reimold is essentially a RH version of Luke Scott, who also got a late start in his career.

Would I prefer to see them obtain a better LFer? Yes, I would. Personally, I believe the LFer on this team should be Adam Jones....but really, I think Jones should be traded.

I would hope that in trades, the Orioles could obtain some younger, cheap OF talent that could be close to ML ready(or ML ready).

But for now, until that oppurtunity arises, Reimold is clearly a better option for where this team is.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

Cuddyer signed with Colorado for 3/31.5.

So glad the Orioles didn't get stupid here.

#13 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Explain this please...

What I like here is the idea that young guys have to earn their starting job. Because a player has a higher upside should not be the defining reason for making a team or starting. Too often young players get this sense of entitlement because they have always been handed things due to their natural talent.

If you want to develop a winning culture, make a player earn the right to wear the Orioles uniform.

I like Reimold and he has shown enough promise that I want him on the team. The next step is up to him. If he prepares well in the off season, shows he has learned from the last couple years and looks good in ST, he can seize LF and never look back.

But I do want the Orioles to have a Plan B if he's not capable of performing well on a consistent basis.
@Tpjs1

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Explain this please...

What I like here is the idea that young guys have to earn their starting job. Because a player has a higher upside should not be the defining reason for making a team or starting. Too often young players get this sense of entitlement because they have always been handed things due to their natural talent.

If you want to develop a winning culture, make a player earn the right to wear the Orioles uniform.

I like Reimold and he has shown enough promise that I want him on the team. The next step is up to him. If he prepares well in the off season, shows he has learned from the last couple years and looks good in ST, he can seize LF and never look back.

But I do want the Orioles to have a Plan B if he's not capable of performing well on a consistent basis.

Exactly...and plan B shouldn't be some kind of Endy Chavez type guy...A journeyman 4th OFer who has limited upside.

Plan B should be a guy that you acquire in a trade that can be ML ready soon or already is ML ready.

A vet player that would have been nice to get was David DeJesus. He is ok offensively but he is excellent defensively. Even if he gives you subpar offense, his defense would have been worth it to us.

The Orioles are on record saying they want a LH hitter who can play LF and CF. I am wondering if Corey Patterson is a guy they are looking at...again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=