35 replies to this topic

#21 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Here here. They have a maple bacon donut that will ruin you for all time.

Muy interesante....

Now that cinnamon/Boston creme combo sounds really nice.

I certainly appreciate the Colossal Donuts from Shoppers. Been awhile since I've had one, as I haven't had occasion to go to a Shoppers, really. The Waldorf location got...interesting...then there wasn't one around me again for years. Until now it had been over five years since I lived near one (the Fredericksburg one closed up right after we moved into town - Wegmans ran it and the nearest Giant out of business), and probably 10 since I wanted to go to a nearby one. When we shopped the Waldorf location regularly (junior high/high school?), the donuts were a must. All traditional glazed or mix it up, whatever. Great deal for a dozen at that time.

Also agree with a place's Boston creme being a barometer of sorts.

#22 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:04 AM

http://www.yelp.com/...ts-philadelphia This place is responsible for my transition from A to B cup tits.

@fuzydunlop

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Wow...does that have a filling?

I don't think it did, but I didn't care. Wifey had a conference in Portland in the fall and brought me a pink box of donuts all the way home. It was awesome.

@JeremyMStrain

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I don't think it did, but I didn't care. Wifey had a conference in Portland in the fall and brought me a pink box of donuts all the way home. It was awesome.

That's correct, no filling. Still like eating waffles with a side of bacon....only better. Voodoo has one of the most eclectic varieties of donuts you'll find anywhere. As evidenced by their signature donut.

voodoo-doll-doughnut.jpg

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

That's correct, no filling. Still like eating waffles with a side of bacon....only better. Voodoo has one of the most eclectic varieties of donuts you'll find anywhere. As evidenced by their signature donut.

voodoo-doll-doughnut.jpg

Yeah Tara got that one right there. I wasn't allowed to eat it since I got the Maple Bacon though. Had a Boston Creme which was good too. Between that place and all the breweries she had the best trip ever.

@JeremyMStrain

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yeah Tara got that one right there. I wasn't allowed to eat it since I got the Maple Bacon though. Had a Boston Creme which was good too. Between that place and all the breweries she had the best trip ever.

If you ever get out yourself, shoot for the last weekend in July. The Oregon Brewer's Festival is a must see.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Bel Air Bakery has some good donuts.

We used to get some good ones up in Lancaster at Willow Valley (including a maple-bacon donut with a thick-cut slice of bacon that covered the whole top), but that place is gone now.

@DJ_McCann

#28 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

If you ever get out yourself, shoot for the last weekend in July. The Oregon Brewer's Festival is a must see.

I've seen it mentioned a few times but I don't get all the VooDoo hype.  Each time I've been there I've always come away with more of a "meh" feeling.  Don't get me wrong, I mean the doughuts are good (great?  I dunno) and yeah they got all kinds of cooky-combinations but it's kinda the trendy/touristy place in Portland to get donuts thanks to Food Network and Travel Channel and I think that hype makes people say (kinda in a subconscious way) that the doughnuts are better than they really are.

On a side note, anyone going to Portland needs to go to a Timbers game.  Those fans make soccer games exceptional.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

I've seen it mentioned a few times but I don't get all the VooDoo hype.  Each time I've been there I've always come away with more of a "meh" feeling.  Don't get me wrong, I mean the doughuts are good (great?  I dunno) and yeah they got all kinds of cooky-combinations but it's kinda the trendy/touristy place in Portland to get donuts thanks to Food Network and Travel Channel and I think that hype makes people say (kinda in a subconscious way) that the doughnuts are better than they really are.

On a side note, anyone going to Portland needs to go to a Timbers game.  Those fans make soccer games exceptional.

And for those who live or visit Denver, Voodoo just announced they are expanding there.

I never really paid attention to the hype. The bacon-maple just has some kind of power over me. But a lot of the commenters in the article seem to agree with you. I really try to limit my donut intake, and since Voodoo is convenient to where I often work, that's just where I always go.

I found this part of the article to be ironic...

Back in Portland, [Voodoo owners] Shannon and Cat Daddy are gearing up for the original store's 10th-anniversary bash, a "thank you Portland" party with live music, T-shirt giveaways and two golden tickets granting free Voodoo doughnuts for life. Check back for more details about that event next week.

I'm thinking that won't be a very long life if the winners really try to take advantage of that.

#30 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Today we were finally around Arundel Donuts when it was open, as it was time for an irregular weekday morning stop at the laundromat (not the laundromat that's right by there, though). We didn't roll through until about 10:45, though, so most stuff was gone already. My wife had a regular chocolate glazed/iced, while I had a plain cruller. Enjoyment was had. The cruller was very nice, with just that little bit of moisture that to me makes a good cruller. Hopefully I'll again have occasion to stop by so I can try some other standards.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

Fractured Prune... 

http://fracturedprune.com/

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:01 PM

Duck donuts. Not just OBX anymore.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
@JeremyMStrain

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

Yep. Fractured prune, and it's not even close.
@BSLMikeRandall

#34 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

Just had a fractured prune donut. Down here at the beach. Yup. Nothing better.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#35 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

B Doughnut hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's ignorant. http://www.bdoughnut.com/

@DaKittenz

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:01 PM

Ok, it's been 3 years since I posted in this thread, so keep that in mind. If you visit Portland, you should still check out Voodoo Doughnuts. You can't come to Portland and not do it. But....just know all those people you'll be standing in line with are also tourists. After you've had the bacon maple, and you're ready to go where the locals go, head over to Blue Star on SW Washington and 13th Ave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=