35 replies to this topic

#1 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Although I'm sure they will contribute to my tragic and untimely demise (despite the fact I keep consumption at a minimum), I do enjoy good doughnuts...donuts...whichever...so I wondered...who has the best around?

I've been to Donut Shack in Severna Park several times, and they've always been good in variety and quality, although I never feel like I'm getting quite the best of the place, as most of the time a trip is in the 9:00-11:00 p.m. hours (the place never closes). I guess if I actually had a job I'd roll through and get a donut at a respectable hour when it's a little fresher, but hey. If you get your goods to go, they'll give you a discount that essentially amounts to waiving the tax (a donut will be the true $1 instead of $1.06, and so on). Avoid their coffee in any case, though, as it's thin and watery. Bring your cash - they don't do cards. Donut Shack is on Ritchie Hwy. (NB MD 2) just north of Robinson Rd./Leelyn Dr., next to Chris' Restaurant. Another word to the wise - if you're coming from the north on B&A (648), just make the left on Asbury Dr. and go in the back way so you don't have to hit 2. Make a right just past the funeral home into the really old paved lot, and go around the right side of the building, ascending the incline. Donut Shack will be the first place on the left.

I've wanted to go to Arundel Donuts, which is a tiny shack (unlike Donut Shack, which is in a multi-tenant building) on southbound B&A just north of Mountain Rd. near McDonald's, across from the Sun Valley Shopping Center (the one with Geresbeck's [Box 'n Save]). Always hearing good things about them, but they're only open 5:30-11:30 a.m., and supposedly a lot of the donuts sell by the halfway mark. I haven't had the motivation to get up that early to go get a donut. One day.... Have heard great stuff about Carlson's, too.

So, what say you?

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

Dunkin. Yea it's a chain, but one of their glazed with a large coffee on a cold winter morning is heaven.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Keller's Bakery in Linthicum on Camp Meade Rd. has really good donuts. They are not open late, in fact, when they sell out for the day, they're done, usually 10-11am.
  • DuffMan likes this
@MKlein76

#4 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

Keller's Bakery in Linthicum on Camp Meade Rd. has really good donuts. They are not open late, in fact, when they sell out for the day, they're done, usually 10-11am.

Yeah Keller's is amazing.  Their Marshmellow donuts are full of win and marshmellow!

#5 KRL224

KRL224
  • Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

I don't eat donuts often.  Generally the only time I indulge is on trips to the farmers market.  Migues Magnificent Mini Donuts, made fresh with powdered sugar, great way to start the morning.

@KRL224

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Fractured Prune.

I know they may have over-saturated themselves in the last few years like The Greene Turtle (another OC institution) Five Guys or Krispy Kreme, but their donuts are amazing.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Artifact Coffee, the new little place run by Woodberry Kitchen folks in the Union Mill development has a rotating set of 2 doughnuts daily. They're always awesome (and pricey).

@DaKittenz

#8 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Dunkin. Yea it's a chain, but one of their glazed with a large coffee on a cold winter morning is heaven.

When I was at SU, we'd have donuts some mornings in the Commons. They had to have made them, or someone that worked for SU knew exactly how to make their donuts. Vanilla frosted - mm-hmm.

As far as chains go, yeah, they're great, but as for a single item I have to go with a Krispy Kreme Original Glazed, hot off the line. I had had them from one of the boxes you get at the grocery store, but never off the line until I was in Fredericksburg, since they have a location there (Central Park Shopping Center). The trifecta of being in the mood for a donut, having the spare dollar, and seeing that "HOT NOW" sign...good times.

I'll probably drop by Fractured Prune the next time I'm in Salisbury, as it's probably the first location I'll be close to when traveling (unless I get one of the jobs at UMBC that I'm applying for, in which case, hello, Halethorpe). I'm not sure that they've over-saturated themselves yet - outside of OC the only locations they have are Salisbury, the couple in the Baltimore metro, a couple of other beach ones (Rehoboth and the other Ocean City), Frederick, and Lancaster. It's an understandable concern, though, since they franchise.

Now that it's been mentioned, I've heard about Keller's as well. The thing about the small shops that open and close early is that they open and close early. Hopefully if I ever get motivated enough to drop by one of those places, it'll be well worth it.

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

When I was at SU, we'd have donuts some mornings in the Commons. They had to have made them, or someone that worked for SU knew exactly how to make their donuts. Vanilla frosted - mm-hmm.

When did you graduated from SU?  I graduated from there in 04 and I don't remember the donuts that much (now the make your own Sundae bar, that was amazing).  Then again I never went to commons much for breakfast.  I only had a 10 meal plan and would use them for lunch and dinner.  Only time I would go there for breakfast would be maybe on Sunday so maybe that's why I don't remember them that much.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Voodoo Donuts. A Portland institution. There is no better.

#11 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I've never met a powdered covered peanut butter cream filled donut that I didn't like.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#12 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

When did you graduated from SU?  I graduated from there in 04 and I don't remember the donuts that much (now the make your own Sundae bar, that was amazing).  Then again I never went to commons much for breakfast.  I only had a 10 meal plan and would use them for lunch and dinner.  Only time I would go there for breakfast would be maybe on Sunday so maybe that's why I don't remember them that much.

I graduated in '09 (should have in '03, but being poor and not really able to properly afford college protracted everything...just enough to graduate college with the worst timing ever). I think the donuts were more of a weekday item, though sometimes they popped up on the weekends as well. They definitely didn't have them every day, though. I miss the hell out of the Commons - ate there all the time except if I missed an early close on the weekend. Well, since I was a transfer, I didn't spend enough time at the place as a whole....

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Voodoo Donuts. A Portland institution. There is no better.

Here here. They have a maple bacon donut that will ruin you for all time.

@JeremyMStrain

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

My wife graduated from there in 02, she and her sorority sisters still talk about the donuts.

@JeremyMStrain

#15 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

The answer is the bakery at Shoppers Food Warehouse. Thank me later.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Absolutely. As crazy as it sounds.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Absolutely. As crazy as it sounds.

They are huge and fantastic. I judge donut places based on their boston creme.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Every year, at Hannakuh time, there is a bakery in Pikesville that does special donuts for that holiday.

My business partner always picks them up.

They are fresh and you can get them with a caramel filling or a Boston cream...they also have a powered donut with cinnamon and Boston cream in it....truly amazing.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

voodoo-doughnut.jpghomer-drooling-animated-gif-i15.JPG

• SportsGuy likes this

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

voodoo-doughnut.jpghomer-drooling-animated-gif-i15.JPG

Wow...does that have a filling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=