#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

I love the NHL Playoffs. Seriously, it's epic, it never disappoints.

But, 16 teams and 2 months of playoffs is just too damn much.

For as physical as the game is, I can't believe they play as many as 28 more games, on top of the 82 they already play.

Could any of you see the NHL shortening it's playoffs at some point? Honestly, I don't see it happening, but if it did happen, it'd probably be a concussion type issue, which is going to eventually change the sports landscape universally at some point.

What I'd like to see is a 12 team playoffs with the first round being the wild card teams and being a best of 3. The 2nd round should be a best of 5, and the conference finals and Stanley Cup Finals best of 7.

Again, I realize it will never happen. Just thought it'd still be fun for discussion purposes.

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hawks win 2-1 and go up 1-0... Bruins dominate the Penguins 3-0 and also go up 1-0.

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I love the NHL Playoffs. Seriously, it's epic, it never disappoints.

But, 16 teams and 2 months of playoffs is just too damn much.

For as physical as the game is, I can't believe they play as many as 28 more games, on top of the 82 they already play.

Could any of you see the NHL shortening it's playoffs at some point? Honestly, I don't see it happening, but if it did happen, it'd probably be a concussion type issue, which is going to eventually change the sports landscape universally at some point.

What I'd like to see is a 12 team playoffs with the first round being the wild card teams and being a best of 3. The 2nd round should be a best of 5, and the conference finals and Stanley Cup Finals best of 7.

Again, I realize it will never happen. Just thought it'd still be fun for discussion purposes.

I'd like that as well, like you said it won't happen especially in hockey because they know how much bigger the playoffs are compared to the regular season for the casual fan. Many don't even start watching until the playoffs.

I'm not so sure, I'd shorten the series as much as you, aside from maybe the first round, but I like the idea of making it more exclusive.

I know many like the upsets, but why not make the regular season more relevant? 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@levineps

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Bruins lead the Pens 5-1 with 4 mins left in game 2, about to take a 2-0 series lead before heading back to Boston. What the hell?

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Boston completes the sweep of the Penguins. Crazy. Didn't see Boston having much of a chance, much less to come and sweep Pittsburgh. They just completely stymied the Pens attack, and the Pens defense crapped the beds the first 2 games of the series... which being at home, was pretty much all she wrote.

Lots of Pens fans think Bylsma is on the hot seat... and may even be gone this week. 

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

I mean, Boston goes from being down 4-1 in the 3rd period of game 7 of the 1st round vs. the Maple Leafs, to the Stanley Cup Finals vs. Chicago or LAK (probably Chicago). That's just crazy. 

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I mean, Boston goes from being down 4-1 in the 3rd period of game 7 of the 1st round vs. the Maple Leafs, to the Stanley Cup Finals vs. Chicago or LAK (probably Chicago). That's just crazy. 

Not a Bruins fan at all, but this is reason #10879779 why I love sports. I remember when their obituary was being read, now pretty close to winning it all.

@levineps

#30 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Just glad the Pens are out. 

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Grantland: How disappointing was your team's NHL's team playoff run this year?
http://www.grantland...f-run-this-year

• DuffMan likes this

#32 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Saw an amazing stat last night on the ticker.  Jarmoir Jagr makes a return to the Cup Finals last night for the first time in 21 years.  This is the largest gap in finals apperances by a player in all 4 major sports.

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Saw an amazing stat last night on the ticker.  Jarmoir Jagr makes a return to the Cup Finals last night for the first time in 21 years.  This is the largest gap in finals apperances by a player in all 4 major sports.

And the Ray Lewis gap seemed like a lot. That is a great stat. Seems like almost every player of my childhood is now retired. Not sure if I really count Moyer since he wasn't exactly a superstar, when Ken Griffey retired it was the end of an era.

@levineps

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

No one wants to talk about the 3 OT hockey game... that was something. I thought the Bruins deserved to lose, they had more than enough chances (not that the Blackhawks didn't have some earlier).

@levineps

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Jaramir Jagr is not allowed to retire. He must continue to play, being that of all the stars of the era I became truly aware of sports (1992, give or take) he is--best as I can tell--the last one standing.

Keep going, Jagr! Keep me from feeling too old!

@DJ_McCann

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

This has been an amazing series so far... 3 of the first 4 games have gone to OT, with the series tied 2-2. Some epic come backs in the 3rd periods of games 1 and 4 to take the game to OT as well. 

So it's knotted at 2, effectively making this a best of 3 with 2 of those games coming in Chicago.

Who ya got?

I'm going to go with the Blackhawks.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

So Bruins win the next game to force a Game 7?

@levineps

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

So that was an exciting 17 seconds!

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Oh my God! The Blackhawks just scored two goals in 17 seconds, and with under a minute left may have won the Cup!

@DJ_McCann

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

The Blackhawks win!

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic