#83 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Apparently they are filming the RW right now! 8-)

#84 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Watching the first 2 seasons again to prepare for season 3.

The first episode is SO much better the second time through.

#85 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

S2 is like a highlight reel for me. They get most of the big stuff right but really don't handle the rest that well. I love the 9th episode and the very end of the 10th plus there's so much to work with in seasons 3 and 4 so I'm optimistic.

#86 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

S2 is like a highlight reel for me. They get most of the big stuff right but really don't handle the rest that well. I love the 9th episode and the very end of the 10th plus there's so much to work with in seasons 3 and 4 so I'm optimistic.

I agree with you, although S2 was still so good relative to other books turned to shows.
I have been really impressed with this entire process, considering how difficult it often is for shows to add in the crazy amounts of detail often in books (especially GOT)

#87 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

2 more episodes till I am done S2. I'm glad I started watching it.

It is very "Rome-like".

#88 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

2 more episodes till I am done S2. I'm glad I started watching it.

It is very "Rome-like".

I miss Rome :(
@JeremyMStrain

#89 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Rome was such a great show. I busted out the series over a long weekend, if I remember correctly.

#90 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I agree with you, although S2 was still so good relative to other books turned to shows.
I have been really impressed with this entire process, considering how difficult it often is for shows to add in the crazy amounts of detail often in books (especially GOT)

I think them having Martin on the staff as a consultant (and he usually writes one episode each season, so far the best ones of each season, IMO) is helping them a lot. There are still some things that I don't know why they've changed or left out or added, but most of the changes make sense to the over-arching story. And I feel like if they leave anything out, they must've gotten at least some tacit word from Martin that it doesn't eventually become important.

#91 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I like this show but it really is all over the place. I mean, its Braveheart at some points and then its all fantasy, black magic, etc...at other points.

#92 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I like this show but it really is all over the place. I mean, its Braveheart at some points and then its all fantasy, black magic, etc...at other points.

The fantasy aspects of it ramp up as time goes on. It never becomes Harry Potter, but it does add in more fantasy elements. Basically, the fantastical is pretty much gone from Westerors at the start and Martin has spent 5 books now slowly moving it back towards Westeros from pretty much all angles.

Don't worry if you're not a fan of fantasy though, it never really (or at least hasn't yet) completely takes over the story. It does become more and more important, at least in terms of who holds power in Westeros and the lands beyond. And in how seriously of a threat you consider different people to be. At first, red priestesses and dragon eggs seem like non-factors, but the more things go on, the more likely it seems that these seemingly unbelievable things actually hold real power. And that's what the series is really about, a struggle for power.

#93 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

The fantasy aspects of it ramp up as time goes on. It never becomes Harry Potter, but it does add in more fantasy elements. Basically, the fantastical is pretty much gone from Westerors at the start and Martin has spent 5 books now slowly moving it back towards Westeros from pretty much all angles.

Don't worry if you're not a fan of fantasy though, it never really (or at least hasn't yet) completely takes over the story. It does become more and more important, at least in terms of who holds power in Westeros and the lands beyond. And in how seriously of a threat you consider different people to be. At first, red priestesses and dragon eggs seem like non-factors, but the more things go on, the more likely it seems that these seemingly unbelievable things actually hold real power. And that's what the series is really about, a struggle for power.

Yea but its too much of that and it starts to take away from the better aspects of the show IMO.

Its just all over the place. One scene are two normal families struggling over the power, the next scene is magic and dragons. It should have a better flow.

#94 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yea but its too much of that and it starts to take away from the better aspects of the show IMO.

Its just all over the place. One scene are two normal families struggling over the power, the next scene is magic and dragons. It should have a better flow.

I think it flows as good as it really can to cover everything they need to cover. I have some minor complaints (usually why they chose to delete/change a scene or small storyline from the book and replace it with a scene that wasn't on the page). It's a huge world they are trying to depict and you've gotta spend some time with the expansive parts to make them relevant when it comes time for them to play their part. And just because one aspect of the show seems like the best part now, doesn't mean it remains the best part, or a part at all, going forward.

The world definitely doesn't get any smaller, nor the books any shorter, as the series goes on. It'll be interesting to see how the show handles that. I know they are splitting Book 3 into the next two seasons of the show, which is a really smart decision. Book 3 is the best in the series in most fans' opinions, and it'll divide up nicely into two seasons of the show. I think they could squeeze books 4 and 5 (which in the timeline that world, take place essentially simultaneously) into three, or maybe even two, seasons. That would then buy them some time for Martin to actually write books 6 and 7. Some of the kid stars may age too quickly for that to seem believable. I suppose if that's an issue they could recast some roles. Some of the roles end up getting eliminated.

#95 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Who are your favorite characters, SG? Jon Snow and Stannis are mine. Daenyrys ranks up there for another reason altogether. ;)

I'm guessing you hate Joffrey's guts. LOL
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#96 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Who are your favorite characters, SG? Jon Snow and Stannis are mine. Daenyrys ranks up there for another reason altogether. ;)

I'm guessing you hate Joffrey's guts. LOL

Yea, Joffrey dying(and his mom) are definitely two I want gone. LOL

The blonde chick is really hot, so I hope she stays around.

My favorite character is the Imp. He is great.

#97 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I was bitching about this on Facebook recently. This dude just does not look like Mance Rayder to me.

Posted Image

There's a playfulness to Mance in the books that... well, I'm just not seeing reflected in that image. Bart (i.e., The Wedge) and I were talking about this recently, and he feels quite the opposite. I suppose we'll find out in March.
@ChaosLex

#98 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Perfect casting for the Reeds though, IMO.

Posted Image
@ChaosLex

#99 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ditto Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully (i.e., Catelyn Stark's uncle):

Posted Image
@ChaosLex

#100 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Tyrion is easily my favorite character. Followed by his henchman Bronn. That dude just has that IDGAF mentality lol.

I also think Jon Snow is up there for me as well.

I agree Mance Rayder just doesn't look like a good fit based on the pic, but I'll withhold judgment for now.

I think my favorite aspect of the show is that they made me hate Joffrey even more. I didn't think that was possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=