#4261 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Showtime is going to be adapting one of my favorite book series, The Kingkiller Chronicles, to TV here soon. If they execute half as well as HBO did with A Song of Ice and Fire, I'll be thrilled.

#4262 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

Most great shows end poorly. It’s tough to end them correctly.

I think people are way off on the Sopranos ending being “bad”. It was brilliant from start to finish, even when it went black.

Still, I wouldn’t argue against the idea that they overthought things with that and could have just as easily ended it without that.

I’ll say this...everyone agrees that The wire was great but the final season was mostly garbage.

Garbage?

It was not as good as the previous seasons but still very good.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4263 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:16 PM

Garbage?

Yep

#4264 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Garbage?

It wasn’t very good. The plot line was pretty awful.

The whole ribbon/homeless guy thing was just stupid.

It was still fine but it pales in comparison to the other 4 seasons.

#4265 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

I wonder how many people disliked the finale because of critical reasons or just because it didn’t go the way they wanted it to.

For example, you love Jon Snow and wanted him on the iron throne. It didn’t happen so you hated it.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4266 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:34 PM

Btw this is a show that, when it was at its best, pissed its audience off.

Sorta fitting that so many are mad about it at the end.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#4267 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:36 PM

I wonder how many people disliked the finale because of critical reasons or just because it didn’t go the way they wanted it to.

For example, you love Jon Snow and wanted him on the iron throne. It didn’t happen so you hated it.

I dunno. I don't mind the ending at all. I just didn't like that they jumped from point A to point B getting there. Just made it feel like a plot device to get to the pre determined ending and broke the whole story part. Completely cool if that's how you wanna end things, but build it up so it's believable and doesn't feel like it's against everything they've built up for 8 years.

• Chris B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4268 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

Showtime is going to be adapting one of my favorite book series, The Kingkiller Chronicles, to TV here soon. If they execute half as well as HBO did with A Song of Ice and Fire, I'll be thrilled.

You are not going to like my opinions on this... :)

#4269 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:44 PM

I think more people hated the ending because social media is telling them to dislike it.

In other words, I think a lot of people fail to have an opinion that is actually their own.

#4270 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,542 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

I will say I am getting further and further on board with the idea that they needed more episodes. A full season 7 and 8 could have really fleshed out a lot of the plot points that seem rushed
  • NewMarketSean likes this

@bopper33

#4271 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

I think more people hated the ending because social media is telling them to dislike it.

In other words, I think a lot of people fail to have an opinion that is actually their own.

The bandwagoners.

@JeremyMStrain

#4272 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

I will say I am getting further and further on board with the idea that they needed more episodes. A full season 7 and 8 could have really fleshed out a lot of the plot points that seem rushed

RIGHT? I don't mind any of the stuff they did and decisions they made. It was just the delivery. I felt like I DVR'd the last two seasons, and only watched every 3rd one to clear it out when I needed room.

@JeremyMStrain

#4273 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

If you are Disney, do you have doubt about handing these guys Star Wars?

#4274 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

I would have been fine with the way things happened if they had been given a proper build up and character motivation.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4275 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

Maybe. But for me personally I am not on social media. I form my own opinions and was bashed on here for it after the BoW episode.

The show was absolutely rushed in its final 2 seasons. 7 extra episodes in the last 2 seasons would have made a world of difference.

#4276 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

Different bit.

Not.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#4277 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

If you are Disney, do you have doubt about handing these guys Star Wars?

Yes. Being that they booted Colin Treverrow from Episode 9 after Jurassic World backlash -- even after it had the second biggest opening of all time or something -- they should absolutely be considering whether letting D&D play in the SW sandbox.

The difference is, this will be their own thing, an original SW trilogy and not a part of the main Skywalker saga -- so maybe that allows them more benefit of the doubt.

#4278 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:21 PM

Maybe. But for me personally I am not on social media. I form my own opinions and was bashed on here for it after the BoW episode.

The show was absolutely rushed in its final 2 seasons. 7 extra episodes in the last 2 seasons would have made a world of difference.

I don’t include the people on here in the group I’m talking about.

#4279 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

You are not going to like my opinions on this... :)

Do tell. 

#4280 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

I don’t include the people on here in the group I’m talking about.

I think much of it is confirmation bias, or something similar. If you're enjoying the season and you start to hear about how and why it sucks, the negativity creeps in and you start looking for stuff to complain about.

For me, it was the BoW episode. About 20-30 mins in, I was feeling nothing. No suspense, no thrills, nothing, And I couldn't see half of the episode. That was when GoT just became "another show" for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=