• Please log in to reply
421 replies to this topic

#361 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Interesting note about Tarpley from today's Keith Law chat.

I'd love to know the scoop there. At another AHEM...site today, I saw there were rantings of a madman about Appel's makeup. I get part of it, I didn't like that he left that much money on the table and didn't sign, BUT he doubled his money by going back and got a degree from Stanford, and ended up with a much worse team. I can't hate too much. Not to mention I've heard from some other players that he's a really good dude, and I tend to trust them more than others.

@JeremyMStrain

#362 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Travis Seabrooke LPH from Ontario. Has signed a LOI with Boston College. 6'5 200 lbs. Upper 80's fb. 

Sounds like he impressed some scouts with the Canada National Junior team's tour through the DR. 

BA had him ranked as the #4 prospect in Canada, and 441 overall. 

And Bobby Wahl goes just a couple picks later.

@JeremyMStrain

#363 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Alex Murphy C from Calvert Hall. 

#364 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Where are they going to play all these catchers?

• JeremyStrain likes this

@fuzydunlop

#365 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Anyone else really want to see Wieters face as he sees all these C taken and is thinking about an extension?

@JeremyMStrain

#366 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'd love to know the scoop there. At another AHEM...site today, I saw there were rantings of a madman about Appel's makeup. I get part of it, I didn't like that he left that much money on the table and didn't sign, BUT he doubled his money by going back and got a degree from Stanford, and ended up with a much worse team. I can't hate too much. Not to mention I've heard from some other players that he's a really good dude, and I tend to trust them more than others.

I thought Appel was making a mistake, rolling the dice last year but the gamble paid off. Credit where it's due.

@levineps

#367 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Anyone else really want to see Wieters face as he sees all these C taken and is thinking about an extension?

Not sure if you'd know this Jeremy, but do major league players even care about what their team does in the draft?

Obviously it's a much bigger deal in the NFL/NBA where drafted guys can be impact players and starters, whereas it's usually at least 2 years before a drafted baseball player makes the big leagues.

#368 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned, someone like him will have him strong demand as long as he can stay healthy and keep playing catcher. They'll be lucky if they get someone who can become a servicable backup MLB pitcher, anything beyond is a bonus. But just like the lottery, the more times you enter, the more likely you'll win.

@levineps

#369 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

I thought Appel was making a mistake, rolling the dice last year but the gamble paid off. Credit where it's due.

Yeah I did too, I didn't like it, especially since PIT was an up and coming team, but a mutual friend convinced me it wasn't a greed thing or a team thing. He really wanted to graduate and had a number in mind it would take him to leave school, they didn't meet it and he stuck to it.

@JeremyMStrain

#370 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Updated with C Alex Murphy, #189 overall.  From Calvert Hall High School.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLKevinEbert

#371 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Not sure if you'd know this Jeremy, but do major league players even care about what their team does in the draft?

Obviously it's a much bigger deal in the NFL/NBA where drafted guys can be impact players and starters, whereas it's usually at least 2 years before a drafted baseball player makes the big leagues.

Generally, no because there are so many players in the org. Most of them don't even pay attention, but when a team drafts 3 at a position like that there is kind of an underlying thing. It's not that he should be worried but the team is guarding and increasing depth for a couple years down the road in case he does leave. I was just being off the cuff about it, but they are definitely covering their bases (no pun intended). Just surprised they are taking so many so close together this high. Especially when they passed on some of the better 3 when they had chances.

@JeremyMStrain

#372 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

Like any other business, you're always looking to cut costs to get maximum value. So unless you really set yourself apart, I doubt MLBers are too happy when someone is coming for their job. Assuming the Orioles continue on their trajectory upwards, I'd imagine players would like to keep playing here.

@levineps

#373 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Oh and by the way my other mid-round target Jimmy Reed from MD was ALSO taken by STL today (in the 6th) so either I'm getting really good at this, or STL is stalking me ;)

@JeremyMStrain

#374 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

The Orioles C depth in the lower minors is absolutely putrid. There is PLENTY of room for 3 Catchers.

Also, Murphy might not be athletic enough to play C from what I have been told today.

• Oriole85 likes this

#375 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

The Orioles C depth in the lower minors is absolutely putrid. There is PLENTY of room for 3 Catchers.

Also, Murphy might not be athletic enough to play C from what I have been told today.

I was curious if one of them would be moved. Don't know much about them though.
@JeremyMStrain

#376 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Updated with 3B Drew Dosch, #219 overall out of Youngstown St.

First college guy

#377 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

3B or LF?

#378 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

3B or LF?

I have no clue. Maybe 1B, but I know nothing about him so I don't want to guess haha

#379 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I have no clue. Maybe 1B, but I know nothing about him so I don't want to guess haha

Haha understandable. Think I read somewhere that he could slot in as either of those. Which is why I was asking. 

#380 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Updated with 1B Trey Mancini, #249 overall out of Notre Dame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors