Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Has to be Dany.  Unless she decides to stay in the East and be Queen over there for some reason.

Jon and Dany get married and rule together.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Is it a given that there will still be throne left when this is done???

As far as the show goes this past weeks episode strayed pretty far from the source material and most of this was for the worse.

#43 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I think Gendry is a darkhorse. He could wed Sansa, finally bringing to fruition the dream of both their fathers.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Is it a given that there will still be throne left when this is done???

As far as the show goes this past weeks episode strayed pretty far from the source material and most of this was for the worse.

Yeah I could see a truce happening that splits the realm into different lands for Stannis, Jon and Dany too.

Like Lex said, Gendry and Sansa could get together, which could make things interesting too. I think in the end it's going to come down to who has the most to do with a war against the White Walkers, cause let's not forget, they are the real threat.

As far as the show, my friend and I were talking last night, because the 4th book does what it does, they are going to have to change stuff around timeline-wise in the show, and they have to start now to make it happen. There's NO CHANCE they will do a season without Jon, Dany or Tyrion, so they will have to figure out how to alter and move around storylines to keep them all in each season. I think splitting the 3rd book that they may just end up spraying the 4th book into the 2nd half of the 3rd season and the 5th season. So it might start getting a little convoluted.

It's the same thing they did with True Blood, so I have a feeling they follow the same formula. Pretty soon stuff will happen from the books but it won't be anywhere near the same timeline from the books in the show.

@JeremyMStrain

#45 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just got the books today! I'm excited to be joining this thread after the summer.

• JeremyStrain and BobPhelan like this

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

As far as the show, my friend and I were talking last night, because the 4th book does what it does, they are going to have to change stuff around timeline-wise in the show, and they have to start now to make it happen. There's NO CHANCE they will do a season without Jon, Dany or Tyrion, so they will have to figure out how to alter and move around storylines to keep them all in each season. I think splitting the 3rd book that they may just end up spraying the 4th book into the 2nd half of the 3rd season and the 5th season. So it might start getting a little convoluted.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I expect that they treat the 4th and 5th books as one giant tome, and just do the timeline sequentially, rather than in the order it's written.  So you'll get chapters from early in the 4th book and early in the 5th book happening in the same episode.  I agree that they certainly won't go an entire season without any of Dany, Jon, and Tyrion.

#47 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

If Martin takes his sweet old time, I guess we'll get a bunch of filler episodes. Maybe Jon Snow will attempt a waterski jump over some sharks. ;):D

Seriously though, I'm guessing it would go on an extended hiatus ala The Sopranos. That would suck.

@ChaosLex

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

If Martin takes his sweet old time, I guess we'll get a bunch of filler episodes. Maybe Jon Snow will attempt a waterski jump over some sharks. ;) :D

Seriously though, I'm guessing it would go on an extended hiatus ala The Sopranos. That would suck.

He's got what, two books left to write?  One of which is already begun and the last one might not take as long since he knows the ending, just has to get there.  If he takes 5 years between each one, then yeah, we'll get a delay.  I wouldn't be surprised if HBO gives him a bonus for finishing the source material earlier than that.  If he's got a 2-3 year break in between books, then that gets both finished by 2016 or 2017.  Season 4 will be the back half of Book 3 will be in 2014.  I think they can split Books 4 and 5 into three seasons of the show, so that's seasons 5-7 which run from 2015-2017.  Then Book 6 should have been out long enough to get Season 8 written up and filmed, maybe that's Season 9 as well.  Then you're right in the time frame of having the final book come out right around when you'd expect the final season to air.  i'm sure the producers will know the story before the book is released, as well.

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I expect that they treat the 4th and 5th books as one giant tome, and just do the timeline sequentially, rather than in the order it's written.  So you'll get chapters from early in the 4th book and early in the 5th book happening in the same episode.  I agree that they certainly won't go an entire season without any of Dany, Jon, and Tyrion.

Yeah that's pretty much what I mean, but in addition I think they'll move some stuff that doesn't apply strictly to that timeline into the 3rd season (the Theon stuff for example) because the 4th and 5th together would be pretty crammed as it is. So basically the 3rd book is the 3rd and 4th season of the show, and then the 4th and 5th books would be seasons 5 and 6.

@JeremyMStrain

#50 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

He's got what, two books left to write?  One of which is already begun and the last one might not take as long since he knows the ending, just has to get there.  If he takes 5 years between each one, then yeah, we'll get a delay.  I wouldn't be surprised if HBO gives him a bonus for finishing the source material earlier than that.  If he's got a 2-3 year break in between books, then that gets both finished by 2016 or 2017.  Season 4 will be the back half of Book 3 will be in 2014.  I think they can split Books 4 and 5 into three seasons of the show, so that's seasons 5-7 which run from 2015-2017.  Then Book 6 should have been out long enough to get Season 8 written up and filmed, maybe that's Season 9 as well.  Then you're right in the time frame of having the final book come out right around when you'd expect the final season to air.  i'm sure the producers will know the story before the book is released, as well.

Yeah, there will be plenty of time to get there. You've got what 3 years at least 2014-2016 with what he already has, so you are looking at 2017 before you need new material.

@JeremyMStrain

#51 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Martin doesn't usually go the obvious route so I don't think it'll be Dany at the end but probably someone associated with her. I'll go with Tyrion.

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Martin doesn't usually go the obvious route so I don't think it'll be Dany at the end but probably someone associated with her. I'll go with Tyrion.

Thought this too, I just have a hard time seeing anyone overtaking the 3 dragons, and I feel like they are going to eliminate Frosty the Snow Zombies.

Maybe Dany and Tyrion end up getting together...that would rock.

@JeremyMStrain

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

That was my thinking and then Dany dies in battle or something. Maybe she has a baby somehow before then to carry on the name.

#54 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

I see Tyrion as Hand.

@ChaosLex

#55 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Dany ends up Queen, not sure if married. Jon ends up a Stark and Lord of Winterfell. The Nightswatch is no longer needed. Sansa, marries Aegon. Gendry and Alya take over the Erie with Tyrion becomes Lord of Casterly Rock and Jamie back in the Kings/Queens Guard.

#56 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I think it's kind of funny that there are show only watchers that don't want things spoiled from the books and now we might be seeing it turned around where the show spoils the book.  For example they've thrown in this made up scene with Mel and Arya and at the end of their scene Mel says she will see Arya again.  Is this alluding to something that may happen in one of the next books?

I also  didn't like that they turned to the BWB and specifaclly Beric into a bunch of sellouts.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I think it's kind of funny that there are show only watchers that don't want things spoiled from the books and now we might be seeing it turned around where the show spoils the book.  For example they've thrown in this made up scene with Mel and Arya and at the end of their scene Mel says she will see Arya again.  Is this alluding to something that may happen in one of the next books?

I also  didn't like that they turned to the BWB and specifaclly Beric into a bunch of sellouts.

I got the vibe it's setting them up for redemption. Like we have to see how far they have fallen, even though they have the best intentions, and they will come around and do the right thing soon enough.

@JeremyMStrain

#58 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think it's kind of funny that there are show only watchers that don't want things spoiled from the books and now we might be seeing it turned around where the show spoils the book. For example they've thrown in this made up scene with Mel and Arya and at the end of their scene Mel says she will see Arya again. Is this alluding to something that may happen in one of the next books?

Couldn't that have been referring to the fake Arya Ramsay marries?

#59 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Couldn't that have been referring to the fake Arya Ramsay marries?

Possibly, but she hasn't even had the vision in the fires yet so how could she be making that statement already?

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Maybe it happened off camera? I don't know. They're probably just hedging their bets. I doubt Martin would want spoilers coming out in the show. At least I hope not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=