Photo

Game of Thrones (Book Discussion With Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1805 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Everything I've read leads me to believe they won't show the Purple Wedding until Season 4 and this makes sense as they still need to cast and introduce the Red Viper  so If I had to guess I would say the PW will be in episode 3 or 4.  But that would be crazy if they opened season 4 with it.  Something else I hope they don't show this season is Lady Stoneheart.

There isn't really a ton of stuff that happens in between the Red Wedding and the Royal wedding.  A bunch of it is filler and everybody finding out about the Red Wedding.  Only the stuff at the Wall is really major action in between.  I think they could do it pretty early in Season 4.  So instead of a major surprise that angers the viewers, we'll get a major surprise that makes us happy.

I think they won't show Lady Stonehear particularly quickly.  I'm thinking she will be the very final scene of Season 4.  We'll see Thoros bring someone back to life (I hope they introduce Berric Dondarrion), and probably hear rumors about Lady Stoneheart in the middle of Season 4, maybe even see Arya's dream of the wolf pulling her body from the river, but I think we won't get an actual good look at her until the very final scene.  I think that'd be an awesome cliffhanger.  Like Season 2 with the Others.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I agree, purple wedding to open season 4, lady stoneheart to close it. Tyrion escaping has to be the big episode 9 next year right? And isn't Tyrion going to be marrying Sansa soon?

#23 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

And isn't Tyrion going to be marrying Sansa soon?

N2OYDIB.gif

• BobPhelan likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

And isn't Tyrion going to be marrying Sansa soon?
Aren't you a TV only? Why are you spoiling yourself haha
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#25 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Aren't you a TV only? Why are you spoiling yourself haha

The Tyrion marrying Sansa comment was actually the first one that made me wonder what the heck I'm doing in this thread.

• BobPhelan likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

I agree, purple wedding to open season 4, lady stoneheart to close it. Tyrion escaping has to be the big episode 9 next year right? And isn't Tyrion going to be marrying Sansa soon?

I think Tyrion escaping and killing his way out of King's Landing will be in the final episode.  Episode 9 for him will probably be when he is judged.  I think we'll get a lot of Dany and Jon and Arya's stuff from Books 4 and 5 moved up into Season 4, as there isn't a ton of stuff that really happens in Westeros in the second half of Book 3.  I don't think they'll spend quite as much time in Dorne as the books do, especially since there really isn't a ton of payoff from that time, at least not yet.  If there needs to be more stuff added to Season 4 instead of just finishing off book 3, I think they can do Dany and Arya since their timelines don't really matter too much to the rest of the story, then can shift them around for the show.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

How'd everyone like last night's episode?  I really enjoyed it.  I think the action will be pretty fast-paced from here on out the remainder of the season.

I've only got a couple minor complaints.  One is that they spent even one second back on the stupid waste of 5-10 minutes screen time last week on Podrick being amazing in bed.  Second, is I feel Mormont's death was a bit undersold.  It's a pretty major thing in the book, for the Night's Watch to be infighting so much that a group of Crows assassinate the Lord Commander, rather than just a spontaneous fight from a couple of starving and angry guys.  I do like that at the very least Mormont got to show at least a little bit of being a badass before the end.  Just wish they had spent a couple minutes showing the guys who were going to attack him plotting to do so, rather than have it be more of a crazy freak thing.

Dany and the Unsullied was great.  One of my favorite storylines from Book 3 and they nailed it.  I also think they did a good job of showing how despondent Jamie is after they take his hand.  The Bran stuff continues to be slow, but I did like the tiny glimpse of Catelyn as a bit crazy in his dream, seemed like a tiny foreshadow of Lady Stoneheart.

Super excited to see Berric Dondarrion and they did a much better job of explaining what the Brotherhood without Banners is about.  We should get a hell of a fight scene between him and his flaming sword against the Hound.

#28 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

How'd everyone like last night's episode?  I really enjoyed it.  I think the action will be pretty fast-paced from here on out the remainder of the season.

I've only got a couple minor complaints.  One is that they spent even one second back on the stupid waste of 5-10 minutes screen time last week on Podrick being amazing in bed.  Second, is I feel Mormont's death was a bit undersold.  It's a pretty major thing in the book, for the Night's Watch to be infighting so much that a group of Crows assassinate the Lord Commander, rather than just a spontaneous fight from a couple of starving and angry guys.  I do like that at the very least Mormont got to show at least a little bit of being a badass before the end.  Just wish they had spent a couple minutes showing the guys who were going to attack him plotting to do so, rather than have it be more of a crazy freak thing.

Dany and the Unsullied was great.  One of my favorite storylines from Book 3 and they nailed it.  I also think they did a good job of showing how despondent Jamie is after they take his hand.  The Bran stuff continues to be slow, but I did like the tiny glimpse of Catelyn as a bit crazy in his dream, seemed like a tiny foreshadow of Lady Stoneheart.

Super excited to see Berric Dondarrion and they did a much better job of explaining what the Brotherhood without Banners is about.  We should get a hell of a fight scene between him and his flaming sword against the Hound.

This episode bleepin broung it from start to finish!  I'd have to think about it more but a little more but it's probably in my top 3 (no worse than top 5) favorite episodes.  Having said that I'm with you on the Podrick discussion, the scene from last week wasn't needed but if they wanted to include to inject some humor with Bronn and Tyrion that's fine.  Having said that no need to revisit it this week,  I'm not a big fan of Ros character so having her waste time talking about a meaningless scene  is just going to annoy me. 

Building off of that,  that's some extrat time that could've been spent with Mormont and company up at Krasters.  As far as the scene at Krasters goes I thought it went well,  I agree that it's a big deal in the book but I also feel like in the book it came off as chaotic which I thought they did a great job of showing.

It was also great seeing Varys and I love his line about LF "He would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes."

I'm a big Beric fan so it was nice finally seeing him.

The whole Dracarsy scene was great, Dany really looked like a badass when that was going down! On a related note I guess they are cutting out the Jorah has the hots for Dany scene?

ZhkjWK7.gif

The Ramsay/Theon stuff was great too,  already getting an idea of how f'd up Ramsay really is.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I thought the Podrick stuff was only thrown in to explain why Varys was alone talking to Ros at all. He's always got some smooth reason to be somewhere at the right time to talk to someone, it'd make no sense for him just to happen to pop into a room with Ros to talk about Sansa. Then you wonder if it's Varys manipulating things or Ros looking out for the Stark kid.

@JeremyMStrain

#30 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

I doubt they do it, but I kinda hope Joffrey is assassinated in the last episode of THIS season, especially given the events of episode 9. Tyrion being taken prisoner would be a great setup for Season 4, IMO.

I think Tyrion escaping and killing his way out of King's Landing will be in the final episode.  Episode 9 for him will probably be when he is judged.  I think we'll get a lot of Dany and Jon and Arya's stuff from Books 4 and 5 moved up into Season 4, as there isn't a ton of stuff that really happens in Westeros in the second half of Book 3.  I don't think they'll spend quite as much time in Dorne as the books do, especially since there really isn't a ton of payoff from that time, at least not yet.  If there needs to be more stuff added to Season 4 instead of just finishing off book 3, I think they can do Dany and Arya since their timelines don't really matter too much to the rest of the story, then can shift them around for the show.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

I doubt they do it, but I kinda hope Joffrey is assassinated in the last episode of THIS season, especially given the events of episode 9. Tyrion being taken prisoner would be a great setup for Season 4, IMO.

The only reason I think they may have Joffrey's death in the finale of this season would be to appease some of the viewers who may say "I'm done with this show" after the Red Wedding.  They'll want some sort of vengeance.  I think that could also be a transition to Tywin as the main bad guy in King's Landing, as he'll be revealed to have set up the Red Wedding with the Frey's and then Joffrey gets poisoned, Tyrion arrested for it, and then Littlefinger will escape with Sansa and reveal that he's the one who set up the death of Joffrey with the Tyrells.

Just tons and tons of awesome stuff coming up over the remaining 6 episodes.

#32 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Appears as though Arya will be traveling with the Brotherhood for awhile, which is different from the books.

It kinda makes sense though. After Robb and Catelyn die at the Red Wedding, if Arya is still traveling with them, the Brotherhood can be right there to revive the latter.

BTW, the dude playing Beric is killing the role. I love his voice. 

@ChaosLex

#33 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

If you needed more proof that the no name guy on the show is Ramsay, he keeps strapping Theon to that "X" torture device, which looks awfully similar to the banner the Boltons are using in the show.

im4Uuu.jpg

• BobPhelan likes this

#34 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

If you needed more proof that the no name guy on the show is Ramsay, he keeps strapping Theon to that "X" torture device, which looks awfully similar to the banner the Boltons are using in the show.

im4Uuu.jpg

And based on the preview for this weeks episode looks like we might be getting some Flaying action.  Sucks to be Theon.

#35 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I don't think they'll spend quite as much time in Dorne as the books do, especially since there really isn't a ton of payoff from that time, at least not yet.  

This is my biggest complaint with Martin's writing. He has created a wonderfully intricate world and has obviously compiled a ton of details but his editing skills, frankly, suck.  He has so much information and subplots that he feels needs to be in the books that it clouds the overall advancement of the story.  The whole Dorne piece, while certainly enlightening, really does nothing to advance the story.  The whole Quentyn Martell saga and being burned to death by Rhaegal is really out of place , IMO.  I just think Martin's publisher really needs to real him in on staying focused as the what the overall plot is, have less subplots and eliminate unecessary story threads that have nothing to do with advancing the plot.  

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Interesting. I love Dorne and the Quentin Martell plot line.

#37 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Interesting. I love Dorne and the Quentin Martell plot line.

Don't misunderstand, it is well written and detailed but what does it do, overall to advance the story? I mean if it is cut out entirely form the book you don't miss anything. Now hopefully it has some significance in future books but I get the feeling it doesn't.

#38 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Doran Martell is a very significant piece of the puzzle, he won't be happy with what happened. I have a feeling it'll fit in. I'm not the right guy to say though. I could read 2000 pages of 'nothing' and enjoy every word. Just love the world he built.

#39 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

When the series finally ends, who do you think will sit the Iron Throne?

@ChaosLex

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Has to be Dany.  Unless she decides to stay in the East and be Queen over there for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=