430 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: http://brittghiroli....rom-camp-day-6/

*Nick Markakis (abdominal surgery) took part in practice, although he said he won’t be able to go 100 percent for a few weeks. Markakis has been in camp for a while working on his rehab and he did take some swings in outdoor batting practice today. Markakis said he’s in no pain swinging but in fielding right now going side-to-side is a little “iffy”. The goal remains to be ready for Opening Day and given that Markakis isn’t a guy who needs a lot of Spring Training work to be ready, he estimated getting 4-5 games would be enough.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

If you consider that offense has dropped league wise from 2008, then the drop in Markakis’ offensive production is less than what appears at first glance. Still, Markakis signed a large extension after an absolute monster 2008 season. During that year, Markakis had a .897 OPS, with 69 xbh’s, and superior defense. During '11 Markakis had a .756 OPS, with 47 xbh’s. While I think he is as good defensively as any RF in the American League, the metrics say he is slightly below average. Markakis deserves credit for rebounding from a very poor start (.561 OPS in April, .708 OPS in May) with a .806 OPS after the All-Star break. I just think there is more there. If he is not going to hit 25 to 30 homers, I want to see the guy many have thought is capable of a batting title. Like Jones, Markakis is part of the solution as opposed to part of the problem, but at this point you have to consider him a ancillary piece as opposed to a star.

I'm still assuming Roberts will not come North. If that occurs, I'd like to see Markakis lead-off.

Your thoughts on Markakis in '12?

#3 @greg_emb

@greg_emb
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Not encouraged. Unfortunately,I expect to see more of the same of what we saw in 2011 from Markakis.
@greg_emb

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

I've mentioned this before, but with Markakis+B-Rob getting married(and in Markakis having kids), might have changed their priorities? Yes, I know B-Rob had his share of injuries, one self-inflicted. Is this far-fetched?
@levineps

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

While I think he is as good defensively as any RF in the American League, the metrics say he is slightly below average.

I don't think he as bad as some bloggers do, but he's definitely overrated. If were all going to discount Jeter's '10 gold glove, we need to hold Markakis accountable as well. Clearly the range isn't there and his arm isn't as strong. Once he gets to the ball, he has no trouble catching it hence the no errors last year. But I believe the "no errors" is deceiving since the balls he doesn't get too doesn't account for that. Nonetheless, he's a solid RF, just not what were paying him for on the defensive end and definitely not on the offensive end.
@levineps

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

I don't think he as bad as some bloggers do, but he's definitely overrated. If were all going to discount Jeter's '10 gold glove, we need to hold Markakis accountable as well. Clearly the range isn't there and his arm isn't as strong. Once he gets to the ball, he has no trouble catching it hence the no errors last year. But I believe the "no errors" is deceiving since the balls he doesn't get too doesn't account for that. Nonetheless, he's a solid RF, just not what were paying him for on the defensive end and definitely not on the offensive end.

Markakis covers a lot of ground to the line, and his arm remains strong and accurate. There was a lot of discussion last year that his arm 'was not what it was' after he made two poor flat-footed throws in end game scenarios.

We've seen that Markakis' defensive metrics are better away from OPACY, which indicates to me he is being judged unfairly/harshly at home.

I do think his range going to his right towards CF could be better, and don't think he always takes great routes in that direction. I would guess part of that is mental, playing next to Jones, and wanting to defer to the CF.

#7 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

Markakis covers a lot of ground to the line, and his arm remains strong and accurate. There was a lot of discussion last year that his arm 'was not what it was' after he made two poor flat-footed throws in end game scenarios.

We've seen that Markakis' defensive metrics are better away from OPACY, which indicates to me he is being judged unfairly/harshly at home.

I do think his range going to his right towards CF could be better, and don't think he always takes great routes in that direction. I would guess part of that is mental, playing next to Jones, and wanting to defer to the CF.

Not to mention, he lets a lot of shallow pop ups fall in front or he will let the 2B make the catch. That is my biggest pet peeve of him. Take control of the pop up, charge in hard and call off the 2B. Its a much easier play for the RF, but he has a hard time calling them off.
@lmaciolek

#8 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Markakis is reaching the point of "so overrated he's underrated" on these boards. With OPACY's weird UZR numbers it's hard to put much faith in the metrics. The guy is good. That said, he may have won his GG on his overall career defense and not just 2011.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Camden Crazies: http://www.camdencra...lli-chavez.html

Nick Markakis (RF):

650 PA, .289/.366/.422, -3 fielding, 2.7 WAR

"Good but not great player, and I'm not holding out hope any longer that Nick can be much more than that. The ability to hit for average and get on base probably keeps him as the team's best hitter, even without the power, but that isn't very impressive from a corner outfielder."

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...-0-victory.html

Good to hear that Markakis is progressing. Have not yet heard anything to suggest he will not be ready for ST.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

FanGraphs: Positional Power Rankings: RF
http://www.fangraphs...gs-right-field/

The O's, and essentially Markakis, come in at 16th overall. I continue to think you have to look at '08 (as the high) and '11 (as the low) as extremes, with his '09, and '10 being his expected levels.

I also continue to think that there is more there. That even if you should not expect his '08 production, that capability remains. Sure would be great to see him put together another complete season of elite play.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Markakis confirming on the MASN telecast that he expects to DH Wednesday.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Been talking about wanting to see Markakis get off to a good start. Good signs from him today, have to love the opposite field shot.

I thought it was interesting hearing Bordick and Palmer relaying Markakis comments that the injury might have 'helped' him, because he spent more time lifting and getting stronger.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

"I'd like to see myself be more consistent with my stance. I don't want to have 30,000 different stances during the season. I want to have one stance and build on that.

THANK YOU NICK! Now, actually stick to this idea.

Nick has always been better with his lower and feet spread apart in a little bit of a crouch.

He tinkers so much with it and gets away from what works.

I remember like 3 years ago, he talked about how when his hands are lower, he gets the bat through the zone quicker. He doesn't have that other motion of dropping his hands down(when they are high) and then swinging.

If he can stick with this and work with Brady on his strength, Nick could get back to that 850+ OPS guy he showed before.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Been talking about wanting to see Markakis get off to a good start. Good signs from him today, have to love the opposite field shot.

I thought it was interesting hearing Bordick and Palmer relaying Markakis comments that the injury might have 'helped' him, because he spent more time lifting and getting stronger.

Did they talk about this more in depth? I missed this on the broadcast.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Did they talk about this more in depth? I missed this on the broadcast.

They just said (relaying Markakis' comments) that basically because he was able to do less other things (which I assumed was baseball related activities/preparation) that he had used that time to lift more.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

They just said (relaying Markakis' comments) that basically because he was able to do less other things (which I assumed was baseball related activities/preparation) that he had used that time to lift more.

I am kind of surprised that he could lift with that injury.

But I am glad he did!

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Another homer tonight and good game overall. Nick looks really, really good at the plate right now.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

ANother homer tonight and good game overall. Nick looks really, really good at the plate right now.

He's well on his way to eclipsing his .561 OPS that he posted last April.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Markakis entering Chicago, 2 for his last 25.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=