Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Horse named after Orioles’ Nick Markakis wins in first career start

Nick Markakis got on his horse to rob Allen Craig of extra bases in the Orioles’ 10-6 win over the Red Sox on Wednesday at Fenway Park. A few hours later, jockey Horacio Karamanos got on Markakis to win the final race at Laurel Park. There’s a horse, you see, named after the Orioles right fielder.

Markakis the horse is a two-year-old who made his first career start on Wednesday. He outlasted runner-up Caboppo by a length and a quarter over the 5 1/2 furlong turf course and paid $28.40.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#402 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

MASN: Buck on Nick: "He really turned the bat loose."
http://www.masnsport...er-5-4-win.html

#403 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

Nick ended up not having that great of a year, but he had two hits yesterday to move out of a tie with Ryne Sandberg into sole possession of 127th place all-time, with 2,388.  Next up is Stuffy McInnes, then Tejada, Sosa, and Mantle.

He also finished the season with 514 doubles, tied for 54th all-time with Edgar Martinez.  Joe Cronin is next.

He's still in 8th place all-time in games played in RF with 2,074, 18 behind Dwight Evans.  Clemente is #1, with 2,305.

It will be interesting to see if Nick can get a starting job next season.  Hopefully he has a good postseason and convinces people he can still play.

• Mike in STL likes this

#404 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

Nick ended up not having that great of a year, but he had two hits yesterday to move out of a tie with Ryne Sandberg into sole possession of 127th place all-time, with 2,388. Next up is Stuffy McInnes, then Tejada, Sosa, and Mantle.

He also finished the season with 514 doubles, tied for 54th all-time with Edgar Martinez. Joe Cronin is next.

He's still in 8th place all-time in games played in RF with 2,074, 18 behind Dwight Evans. Clemente is #1, with 2,305.

It will be interesting to see if Nick can get a starting job next season. Hopefully he has a good postseason and convinces people he can still play.

Ill be surprised if he finds a starting gig. Maybe Atl brings him back as a bench bat.

#405 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

Ill be surprised if he finds a starting gig. Maybe Atl brings him back as a bench bat.

I agree, unfortunately.

#406 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

I agree, unfortunately.

I think if he wants to keep playing. He might get a ST invite and show if he still has something left in the tank.

I can see him as a 4th COF off the bench, its not like there is an abundance of COF in the MLB.

• Mike B likes this

#407 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

I'm a little biased because he's my favorite Oriole post-Ripken era. He can still play. 

Consider this year a small sample size of only 37 games. Without over analyzing him, It's a sad day for baseball if you can't get a job when you bat .297 and .285 the previous two years, and other than two wrist injuries from HBPs in 2012 and 2019, he never goes on the IL and you can count on him for 162 games if you desire. He's not a platoon player, and while he was shuffled down the lineup in the SSS he played in 2020, he's hit the heart of some pretty stacked batting orders here, and in ATL. He would be batting leadoff or second if he was an Oriole today. 

Guys that quietly go about their business never get the respect they deserve. Like how Marvin Harrison is never talked about among the NFLs best WRs. Maybe if he stood out more by being a jerk he would be. (Not saying Markakis is a top 10 OF all-time, but you get the point). 

• Mike B and Old Man like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#408 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

I'm a little biased because he's my favorite Oriole post-Ripken era. He can still play. 

Consider this year a small sample size of only 37 games. Without over analyzing him, It's a sad day for baseball if you can't get a job when you bat .297 and .285 the previous two years, and other than two wrist injuries from HBPs in 2012 and 2019, he never goes on the IL and you can count on him for 162 games if you desire. He's not a platoon player, and while he was shuffled down the lineup in the SSS he played in 2020, he's hit the heart of some pretty stacked batting orders here, and in ATL. He would be batting leadoff or second if he was an Oriole today. 

Guys that quietly go about their business never get the respect they deserve. Like how Marvin Harrison is never talked about among the NFLs best WRs. Maybe if he stood out more by being a jerk he would be. (Not saying Markakis is a top 10 OF all-time, but you get the point). 

I agree totally.

Harrison reminds me of Art Monk, guys who came to play, and did everything ask, blocking, decoys, they didnt have to be the "man", but when it was 3rd and long, they didnt mind, catching the ball and doing what it took to get first down.

• Mike in STL likes this

#409 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:49 AM

Great Post...Nick has had a terrific career.  He has been a class act at every stop.  I think he will have a job, if he wants it next year.  He will have to play for a low number, but he can still help a team.

@mikeghg

#410 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:28 PM

Great Post...Nick has had a terrific career.  He has been a class act at every stop.  I think he will have a job, if he wants it next year.  He will have to play for a low number, but he can still help a team.

I hope Nick can find a job in a place he wants to play.  I could be wrong, but I think Nick might be picky about where he chooses to play...  hopefully that lines up with available jobs.

#411 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:35 PM

I hope Nick can find a job in a place he wants to play.  I could be wrong, but I think Nick might be picky about where he chooses to play...  hopefully that lines up with available jobs.

Didnt he sign with the Braves, as he wanted to relocate his family there and this was going to be his retirement home? Or maybe I am getting him confused with another ex-oriole.

#412 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:40 PM

Didnt he sign with the Braves, as he wanted to relocate his family there and this was going to be his retirement home? Or maybe I am getting him confused with another ex-oriole.

I'm not sure, but he's from Georgia, so it sounds right.

#413 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure, but he's from Georgia, so it sounds right.

According to wiki, his parents relocated to Woodstock when Nick was 10, and going back to Georgia was a home coming.

#414 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

I believe Nick still lives in Monkton, Maryland.

we were in a restuarant about a year or 2 ago and he and his wife, were there.  The waitress said they still live in the neighborhood.

@mikeghg

#415 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

I'm still convinced we beat the Yankees in the '12 playoffs if he hadn't got hurt.

• Mike B and Mike in STL like this

#416 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:10 AM

Nick announced his retirement.  I'd always hoped that he'd return to the Orioles at some point, like Eddie Murray did.

Nick Markakis retiring from baseball after 15 seasons – The Athletic

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#417 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:17 AM

I hate baseball. Just cause he doesn't strikeout 200 times while hitting 30 homers there isn't a market for him. The game is in a sad state when no one can find room on their roster for a guy likely to get on base at a .350 clip. 

• Mike B, BSLSteveBirrer and Old Man like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#418 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:21 AM

I hate baseball. Just cause he doesn't strikeout 200 times while hitting 30 homers there isn't a market for him. The game is in a sad state when no one can find room on their roster for a guy likely to get on base at a .350 clip. 

Agreed.  The new generation of front office types have become so locked in on their analytic approach, that I can not help but think they are missing guys who are just good ball players.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#419 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:26 AM

According to the Athletic article, the Braves might have been interested in keeping him if the NL had kept the DH.  But without the DH, Ozuna has to play LF and there's no room for Nick.

#420 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:50 AM

The Orioles could DH him and he’d bat leadoff. But I imagine $3M is way too rich for them, and they may actually win some more games than they are trying to.

It’s cute when players sign a one day deal to retire with a former team. If I were Nick though I wouldn’t give the O’s the satisfaction or positive publicity. They turned him away quibbling over one year on a deal, his age, trying to pin a future neck injury on him that never happened.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=