#2 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Worst idea ever if you want to see the best talent possible play in MLB. Once the teams close up the academies and the Buscones quit because the money has dried up the vibrant fields of talent in Latin America will wither and die.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Worst idea ever if you want to see the best talent possible play in MLB. Once the teams close up the academies and the Buscones quit because the money has dried up the vibrant fields of talent in Latin America will wither and die.

I actually think you'll see more academies, and teams holding more "workouts" as it will become part of the draft procedure. They are going to shift the legwork and money to MLB teams and away from Buscones and whatever random fields they can find.
@JeremyMStrain

#4 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

I actually think you'll see more academies, and teams holding more "workouts" as it will become part of the draft procedure. They are going to shift the legwork and money to MLB teams and away from Buscones and whatever random fields they can find.

Why would the Dodgers run an academy if the Giants will just draft the kids that go there?

We have seen the future if this comes to fruition, it is called Puerto Rico. Since MLB included Puerto Rican players in the draft the supply has dwindled.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Why would the Dodgers run an academy if the Giants will just draft the kids that go there?

We have seen the future if this comes to fruition, it is called Puerto Rico. Since MLB included Puerto Rican players in the draft the supply has dwindled.

Because it will be a private academy by and for each team. Hence why there will be more of them. It will be the only way to get scouting looks at kids wipl be by working them out yourself. They will have camps and use them as scouting tools.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Because it will be a private academy by and for each team. Hence why there will be more of them. It will be the only way to get scouting looks at kids wipl be by working them out yourself. They will have camps and use them as scouting tools.

Then why didn't this happen in Puerto Rico?

I think you might be off in your mental picture of the Academies.

http://mlbreports.co...inicanbaseball/

The amount of money that goes into building these factories for building baseball players is crazy. Back in 2008, San Diego spent $8 million on building one of san-pedro-de-macoris-hotels-mapthe nicest academies on the island. Just this winter, the Mariners have announced plans to spend $7 million on a new facility in the D.R. The amount of money that is poured into the Dominican is ridiculous, but somehow MLB teams still get some of the best teenage baseball players in the world for discount prices. Perhaps that is the main reason that keeps convincing teams to allocate their money to Latin America.

There will be little incentive to continue that level of spending if an international draft is implemented.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Agreed. But probably better for the Orioles. I can't imagine us being comparatively worse at an International Draft than we are at the current system.

#8 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Agreed. But probably better for the Orioles. I can't imagine us being comparatively worse at an International Draft than we are at the current system.

Sorry I can't be happy about a change like this even if it makes the O's slightly more competitive.

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Then why didn't this happen in Puerto Rico?

I think you might be off in your mental picture of the Academies.

http://mlbreports.co...inicanbaseball/

There will be little incentive to continue that level of spending if an international draft is implemented.

Don't get caught up in the semantics of academies and what they have been previously. They will be something entirely different in the future. Puerto rico doesn't have enough talent to make it worthwhile. DR has a much larger talent base.

These won't be huge dormed training grounds they will be smaller bases for workouts and local scouting. They will let local teams use their fields so that they can watch players play.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Don't get caught up in the semantics of academies and what they have been previously. They will be something entirely different in the future. Puerto rico doesn't have enough talent to make it worthwhile. DR has a much larger talent base.

These won't be huge dormed training grounds they will be smaller bases for workouts and local scouting. They will let local teams use their fields so that they can watch players play.

Right so instead of places where the kids can live in something less then object poverty, while going to better schools then would be otherwise available to them there will be a workout field.

Sounds like progress to me.

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Right so instead of places where the kids can live in something less then object poverty, while going to better schools then would be otherwise available to them there will be a workout field.

Sounds like progress to me.

This is about baseball not improving a 3rd world country.
@JeremyMStrain

#12 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

This is about baseball not improving a 3rd world country.

And you don't think the washout rate of Latin players will go up if they are malnourished, don't speak English and have the equivalent of a fourth grade education?

#13 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

And you don't think the washout rate of Latin players will go up if they are malnourished, don't speak English and have the equivalent of a fourth grade education?

As far as playing baseball? No I don't. If they have talent and keep playing baseball down there, it's not going to change their skill level and tools to be deprived like that.

Is it worse off for them as human beings? Of course, but that is a sociological argument not a baseball argument.
@JeremyMStrain

#14 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

How are they going to learn? Playing street ball? Under the proposed new system there is close to zero incentive for anyone to develop these raw kids into players.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

How are they going to learn? Playing street ball? Under the proposed new system there is close to zero incentive for anyone to develop these raw kids into players.

Playing pickup games is how the Buscones are finding them already, and I think you are overestimating just how much they are "developing" these kids. They might work with them some, but they mostly pimp them out to get them seen by MLB teams and discovered and then take a cut of their bonus. They aren't running development camps or anything (which you will see MLB probably do under the proposed changes).

This isn't going to change the level of tools or talent down there, MLB teams will know where the talent is, and will know they have to go find it and not just sit around and wait for someone to bring it to them, so you will see teams invest in smaller individual scouting bases down there. Probably won't see it happen in many other countries, but the DR is so deep it's worth the investment.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Well first off you appear to be content with baseball in places like Curacao going the way of PR, I would rather that not happen.

Secondly I think you are greatly overestimating the "ready to play" level of these kids. Do you realize there are 24 MLB sponsored Dominican Summer League teams currently? That is going to go away if this goes through. These kids do not have the equivalent of High School prep schools and all star tours. A lot of potentially great players will fall through the cracks.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

Well first off you appear to be content with baseball in places like Curacao going the way of PR, I would rather that not happen.

Secondly I think you are greatly overestimating the "ready to play" level of these kids. Do you realize there are 24 MLB sponsored Dominican Summer League teams currently? That is going to go away if this goes through. These kids do not have the equivalent of High School prep schools and all star tours. A lot of potentially great players will fall through the cracks.

No, you just seem convinced that baseball teams aren't going to put in the work themselves to dig around these countries. You kinda touched it in your second point though, there aren't school teams and all star tours to use to scout players. I think where the disconnect is, is that that is only a very generalized idea of how scouting works. You have to put in leg work to find players...it's always been like that. There has just been a lazy way to do that with Buscones laying around because they did most of that leg work. Buscones are just going to be pimping kids out to individual teams (like "advisors" with american HS kids) instead of hosting giant buffets of players and inviting multiple teams for all they can sign. Yes they need developed, NONE of these players are far along, but that's what scouting is about, seeing a kid throw on a back field somewhere and seeing, ok, he's got a live arm and solid control, let's see more of him. Or seeing a kid having BP on a sandlot and launching 450 ft bombs and knowing you need to see someone throw him some live pitches and offspeed stuff to see the pitch recognition and contact tool.

There is baseball in those countries. People aren't over there seeing kids playing in dirt roads and signing them. Teams will still have scouts in these countries, just more of them to cover more ground, and will go to where the games are. You will probably see more Dominican Leagues formed/played that will be made up of prospects and potential players at various skill levels. Whether MLB organizes these or the countries themselves do, who knows. Things will change a little, but not to the degree you seem to think it will.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Money will depart the system and the island will have to figure out some sort of little league that does not exist and will be less efficient.  The current system flushes cash for trainers to teach 12-13-14 year old kids skills to be signed.  Without the trainer system, these kids will have to learn on their own or with pro bono coaches.  The quality of coaching will drop a great deal as signing bonuses through the draft with crater.

The international draft will do one thing well...reduce money spent on amateurs.  It will not make things more competitive.

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

@PeteAbe Selig hopes the international draft is worked into the next CBA.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@levineps

#20 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

It's impossible to say what will happen in the context of an international draft without having figures as to how much can and will be spent in signing players through an international draft.

Having buscones hide players and teams agreeing to handshake deals with 14 year olds is not the way to run things if you can help it.

That's not even taking into account that teams are sneaking these kids into the states and working them out privately. Free market isn't the right course of action -- the kids don't have the standing to benefit from the system.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@NickJFaleris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=