You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Luke Jones had a little blurb on Bundy today:

In other news, pitching prospect Dylan Bundy has a followup appointment with Dr. James Andrews regarding his right forearm and elbow. Bundy received a platelet-rich plasma injection a month ago and has a full range of motion with the elbow after rest. Showalter told reporters the 20-year-old pitcher hasn’t experienced any pain in the last week, signs indicating he could begin throwing very soon.

“I think that’s the final thing for [Dr. Andrews] to sign off on,” Showalter said.

• BobPhelan likes this

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

NBC Sports / Hardball Talk: Bundy cleared to resume throwing
http://hardballtalk....r-elbow-injury/

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Great news!

#44 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Whoa, was just about to post that..Our fearless beat me to it.

@beginthebegin71

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Great news...now, lets hope nothing happens.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

CSN Baltimore: Orioles hope to see Bundy on mound soon
http://www.csnbaltim...undy-mound-soon

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Another annoying aspect of Bundy's health issues this year, are that he obviously won't be ratcheted up to be able to go at a full work load in 2014. Since we'll still have hopes of contending, my hope is the O's to start Bundy a little later next year so he's available in October, and we avoid a Strasburg'esque situation. Obviously getting way ahead of myself, but I'll be pissed if they aren't smart about this.

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Is anyone else against coddling young pitchers these days? I mean, they were very careful with Bundy with the 3 inning starts then 4 inning starts, etc... Then he still ends up with elbow tightness, which its still unknown of its going to lead to something worse.

I feel like in the era of babying pitchers and inning and pitch counts, that cases of Tommy John surgery are more and more frequent than they were when guys would notch a dozen or more complete games 40 years ago. It can't be that guys throw harder now a days because Nolan Ryan and I'm sure plenty of other guys were ramping it up to 95 mph in the 70s.
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Is anyone else against coddling young pitchers these days? I mean, they were very careful with Bundy with the 3 inning starts then 4 inning starts, etc... Then he still ends up with elbow tightness, which its still unknown of its going to lead to something worse.

I feel like in the era of babying pitchers and inning and pitch counts, that cases of Tommy John surgery are more and more frequent than they were when guys would notch a dozen or more complete games 40 years ago. It can't be that guys throw harder now a days because Nolan Ryan and I'm sure plenty of other guys were ramping it up to 95 mph in the 70s.

Well, cases of Tommy John surgery are infinitely more frequent now because it wasn't invented forty years ago :P (it wasn't first performed until 1974). And guys back then who had severe ligament and shoulder issues simply had their arms blow out and were almost never the same. So let's not look back on the 1970s as the example to follow when it comes to developing pitchers.

Joe Sheehan was talking on his podcast a few weeks ago how the Bundy situation (as the latest example) suggested to him that, now that we aren't actively trying to destroy young arms through high inning- and pitch-counts, pitcher injuries may just be essentially random chance. Or at least unable to be predicted in any further fashion with what we currently know.
@DJ_McCann

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well, cases of Tommy John surgery are infinitely more frequent now because it wasn't invented forty years ago :P (it wasn't first performed until 1974).

Duh. Haha. I just feel like picthers injuries are still just as prevalent as they were even with all these limits put on them.
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Duh. Haha. I just feel like picthers injuries are still just as prevalent as they were even with all these limits put on them.

I don't think it's the case, mostly because pitcher abuse isn't being ignored like it was back then. But there are still quite a few, and it is a good question of whether or not baseball people know enough to be able to prevent them any further--which is what Sheehan was getting at.
@DJ_McCann

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Buck said he will call Bundy sometime today. Due to start a throwing program tmrw. 25 throws at 60 feet. #orioles

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

So Bundy was supposed to start a throwing program on June 10th. I haven't heard any reports about him since then. I wonder how it's going? Has anyone heard anything? Maybe I missed it...

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thought I saw a tweet from Roch the other day saying things appeared to be going well.

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Per Roch Kubatko / MASN on June 16th:

Dylan Bundy (elbow) will expand his long-tossing to 90 feet on Monday.
He'll make two sets of 25 throws from the distance. Bundy has been out all season with an elbow issue, and the Orioles are understandably taking things slowly with him. There's no timetable for his return. Jun 16 - 12:09 PM

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Bundy experienced a setback today with elbow/forearm discomfort. Going to be examined.

Damn

#57 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Sweet set of nut punches today.

@fuzydunlop

#58 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Unfortunately, not surprising. When these things pop up you expect the worst and hope for the best even after the initial diagnosis isn't all that bad. Can't say I ever expected Bundy to throw this year.

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Ugh. This is really a huge blow to the organization. We really needed him. 

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

This sucks, but it's his elbow and not his shoulder, so it's just a delay not a derailment.  Just cut him now if he needs it and try and get him back and ready by mid-2014.  He's still only 20 so time is on the team's and Dylan's side as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=