152 replies to this topic

#21 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Better to take it too slow than too fast. Still have my fingers crossed behind my back...

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

He has minor elbow tendinitis. Nothing to see here.

Overreact all you want.

Hate to do this to ya Tuck, but it looks like the concerns were pretty valid. We'll see how this shakes out.

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

He has minor elbow tendinitis. Nothing to see here.

Overreact all you want.

Hate to do this to ya Tuck, but it looks like the concerns were pretty valid. We'll see how this shakes out.

Well to be fair at the time tuck was absolutely right. For him to be bothered enough to want to see andrews now though...that sucks.
@JeremyMStrain

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well to be fair at the time tuck was absolutely right. For him to be bothered enough to want to see andrews now though...that sucks.

I don't think he was. I think anytime a top prospect is having elbow tendinitis, there's cause for concern. Not time to freak out, but cause for concern. He was saying there wasn't any reason to be concerned at all. 

Remember too, this is a fan base that has seen every good/decent pitching prospect over the last decade, suck or get hurt. 

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't think he was. I think anytime a top prospect is having elbow tendinitis, there's cause for concern. Not time to freak out, but cause for concern. He was saying there wasn't any reason to be concerned at all. 

Remember too, this is a fan base that has seen every good/decent pitching prospect over the last decade, suck or get hurt. 

Yeah but your 2nd sentence is exactly why he is right. At the time there was nothing more to see or to panic about. He could still throw, he was just having tightness. They were overcautious, as we would want them to be and there was no reasons to be freaking out yet. Lots of people have that happen and a couple weeks later are good to go...in this case it's been a couple weeks and he's not. There's still a chance it could just be a rough case and he's out a bit longer, but I'm afraid of the fact he's getting a 2nd opinion. Either the first guy thinks it's much worse than Dylan does, or he doesn't think it's bad and Dylan is worried about it.

@JeremyMStrain

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Per Britt Ghiroli:

Bundy saw Dr Andrews today and got a PRP injection. Will rest for six weeks. Zach Britton, tonight's starter, had PRP last spring.

As a reminder, PRP is Platelet Rich Plasma therapy.

Hopefully we get more on the actual injury. That it's PRP is good news in the sense that it's not surgery, but a little concerning, because it typically deals with tissue damage of some sort. I hope this works.

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

She adds to that here: http://brittghiroli....rest-six-weeks/

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

So it's right flexor mass tightness, mostly in his right forearm. Interesting, can't say I've really heard of that before. 

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

If it's 6 weeks of rest and he'll be fine aftewards, this is really good news.  Way better than it could have been.

Also, given that he was going to be limited in how many innings he could accumulate this year, this actually could have unintended benefits later in the year.   If he starts throwing in early June, and is pitching in the minors by July, he'll only have two months there and maybe 12 or so starts.  He shouldn't get much more than 75 or so innings over that span, meaning that he can keep pitching later in the year.  If he's dominant, maybe he comes up and helps either in the bullpen or even the rotation for the Orioles in August and September.

#30 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think this is about the closest to best case scenario we could've hoped for as long as it works.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#31 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Per Britt Ghiroli:

As a reminder, PRP is Platelet Rich Plasma therapy.

Hopefully we get more on the actual injury. That it's PRP is good news in the sense that it's not surgery, but a little concerning, because it typically deals with tissue damage of some sort. I hope this works.

It's kind of an alternative to a cortisone shot, which when along the path for surgery is just one of the steps you take. So I wouldn't take it as a ruling things out, but more of a baby step with the hopes that it gets better before you get to the cliff and have to jump.

@JeremyMStrain

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

It's kind of an alternative to a cortisone shot, which when along the path for surgery is just one of the steps you take. So I wouldn't take it as a ruling things out, but more of a baby step with the hopes that it gets better before you get to the cliff and have to jump.

What kind of surgery would they do for a "Right Flexor Mass Tightness"? We're not talking about Tommy John here anymore, IMO.

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

What kind of surgery would they do for a "Right Flexor Mass Tightness"? We're not talking about Tommy John here anymore, IMO.

It's still all in that elbow tendinitis area. Hold your arm out straight with your palm facing up. Flex your hand up and down, and feel where that muscle moves right at your elbow joint on the inside of your arm. That's pretty much where it is. I've had it there too, pretty painful, I swore it was a torn ucl, had an MRI and nothing. Took about 2-3 months before the pain really went away completely.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#34 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Cliff Corcoran (unfortunately) reminds us that Chad Billingsley went the same route earlier this year:

http://mlb.si.com/20...urgery-for-now/

@JeffLongBP

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

It's still all in that elbow tendinitis area. Hold your arm out straight with your palm facing up. Flex your hand up and down, and feel where that muscle moves right at your elbow joint on the inside of your arm. That's pretty much where it is. I've had it there too, pretty painful, I swore it was a torn ucl, had an MRI and nothing. Took about 2-3 months before the pain really went away completely.

Yea, I have had really bad left elbow tendinitis. I have had 4 cortisone shots. I couldn't pick up anything of any kind of weight without having pain.

When I had my MRI, there were all sorts of little tears but that is just tendinitis.

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yea, I have had really bad left elbow tendinitis. I have had 4 cortisone shots. I couldn't pick up anything of any kind of weight without having pain.

When I had my MRI, there were all sorts of little tears but that is just tendinitis.

Does it recur for you? I've had it in the same arm twice now, one time it was more forearm pain, the second time it was the under-inside pain. Same here, I couldn't really use it at all some days, and couldn't do anything heavy for a while. Cortisone didn't help long, painkillers and rest ultimately is what did the trick, but like I said took a couple months.

@JeremyMStrain

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Does it recur for you? I've had it in the same arm twice now, one time it was more forearm pain, the second time it was the under-inside pain. Same here, I couldn't really use it at all some days, and couldn't do anything heavy for a while. Cortisone didn't help long, painkillers and rest ultimately is what did the trick, but like I said took a couple months.

For me, it started in my left forearm...I eventually got a cortisone shot and it went away...they I started working out again and it came back, so I got a second shot..it went away again..then it came back.

My third shot didn't take but the pain had really shifted to my elbow,so where he injected my shot, it was in the old spot, not the new one.

So, for the fourth shot, he went right into my elbow and I haven't had any pain since then...which has been a few months.

It got to the point where is couldn't even sleep without pain.

Now, the shot only masks the pain and my doctor does think I will eventually need surgery.

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

For me, it started in my left forearm...I eventually got a cortisone shot and it went away...they I started working out again and it came back, so I got a second shot..it went away again..then it came back.

My third shot didn't take but the pain had really shifted to my elbow,so where he injected my shot, it was in the old spot, not the new one.

So, for the fourth shot, he went right into my elbow and I haven't had any pain since then...which has been a few months.

It got to the point where is couldn't even sleep without pain.

Now, the shot only masks the pain and my doctor does think I will eventually need surgery.

Yeah I'd say after 3-4 cortisone shots there isn't much you can do. Getting old sucks dude.

@JeremyMStrain

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yeah I'd say after 3-4 cortisone shots there isn't much you can do. Getting old sucks dude.

Yep...it all stemmed from lifting weights...which is funny because its not like I was hitting 7 days a week, several hours a day.

Who knows, maybe weight lifting has led to Bundys issues? My doctor works at Union Memorial and he deals with athletes all the time...he told me its relatively common for this to happen.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

ESPN: Bundy setback a definite concern
http://espn.go.com/f...-fantasy-owners

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=