#2 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Rob (Dallas)
Originally thought to be shelved temporarily, Dan Duquette has now said he isn't a fan of the cutter and doesn't want Dylan Bundy throwing it. For a pitch Bundy received such high praise for, is this questionable thinking by the Os front office?

Klaw (12:39 PM)
I strongly disagree with that sentiment, as it is not based on hard evidence. And it makes Bundy worse in the process.

Sigh.
@JeffLongBP

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Cutter gone and now an elbow injury?

http://www.rotoworld...589/dylan-bundy

Better off trading him?

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

I didn't like hearing about decreased velocity in spring..now this?

And this is no big deal?

#5 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

He has minor elbow tendinitis. Nothing to see here.

Overreact all you want.
  • JeffLong likes this

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just posted this in his thread:

Overreact all you want.

Sure thing.

Just do the Tommy John surgury now so he's back for a full '14 season.

#7 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Sure thing.

Just do the Tommy John surgury now so he's back for a full '14 season.

I don't know about all that, but I wouldn't be freaking out if he ended up needing TJ. It's not a miracle-surgery, but it's much more successful than it ever has been.
@JeffLongBP

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Just posted this in his thread:

Overreact all you want.

Never a good thing to hear and it's obviously been an issue for a while.

Probably nothing...brushing it under the carpet and acting like its nothing is naive.

#9 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

No, it's really not naive. You are talking to the wrong person if you think I am naive on that.

Nobody is brushing it under the carpet. But you are trying to make it a bigger deal than it is.
A little rest is all he needs.

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Never a good thing to hear and it's obviously been an issue for a while.

Probably nothing...brushing it under the carpet and acting like its nothing is naive.

Nah, not yet. Just swelling or a sore elbow, probably an MRI to come too on the just in case side. Just something to keep an eye on (and also an interesting point that the innings limit he is going to have, if he missed a few weeks right now at the beginning of the season, he could come back and pitch the entire year. Putting him on AA DL would keep the service time down. Could be pros to this con.
@JeremyMStrain

#11 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Nah, not yet. Just swelling or a sore elbow, probably an MRI to come too on the just in case side. Just something to keep an eye on (and also an interesting point that the innings limit he is going to have, if he missed a few weeks right now at the beginning of the season, he could come back and pitch the entire year. Putting him on AA DL would keep the service time down. Could be pros to this con.

I don't know if we can check this but I have a hard time believing that time on the minor league DL would cut into his ML service time. I mean, although he's on a ML contract he's not actually accruing ML time right now, so how could it be affected?

As far as not overreacting, when your #1 super prospect has a tight elbow, it's news and in Oriole land where there never seems to be a minor injury it's news worth worrying about. Sure, a week of rest might make everything better, but no one knows for sure.

#12 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Hopefully you are right Tucker. I'm not going to get excited about it but I won't be surprised at all if it turns into something bigger.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

No, it's really not naive. You are talking to the wrong person if you think I am naive on that.

Nobody is brushing it under the carpet. But you are trying to make it a bigger deal than it is.
A little rest is all he needs.

Yes, that all he needs....assuming this injury isn't a bigger deal than what they are saying.

But it's obviously been somewhat of an issue for a little while now or he wouldn't have had the decrease in velocity.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Nothing to panic over yet from what it sounds, but something to keep an eye on for sure. Similar to Markakis' Spring injury multiplied by a few times simply due to the inherent injury-prone-ness of pitchers and the fact that it's his elbow.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I don't know if we can check this but I have a hard time believing that time on the minor league DL would cut into his ML service time. I mean, although he's on a ML contract he's not actually accruing ML time right now, so how could it be affected?

As far as not overreacting, when your #1 super prospect has a tight elbow, it's news and in Oriole land where there never seems to be a minor injury it's news worth worrying about. Sure, a week of rest might make everything better, but no one knows for sure.

Huh? I said that he is not accruing service time on the aa dl (as opposed to ml dl) and said it was a good thing. He has to spend like 2 months in the minors in order to not accrue a year. Whether he is on the dl or not in aa its ticking down those days. Tendonitis is like a 4-6 week thing in a lost of cases...that plus rehab time would cover the accrual for the year we need to worry about.

And I'd be slightly worried because of the velo he throws. Much easier to damage the ucl throwing breaking stuff that hard...see strasburg. But its still early and could easily just be some stiffness for now. I'd give it 2-3 weeks before I'd get nervous.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Huh? I said that he is not accruing service time on the aa dl (as opposed to ml dl) and said it was a good thing. He has to spend like 2 months in the minors in order to not accrue a year. Whether he is on the dl or not in aa its ticking down those days. Tendonitis is like a 4-6 week thing in a lost of cases...that plus rehab time would cover the accrual for the year we need to worry about.

And I'd be slightly worried because of the velo he throws. Much easier to damage the ucl throwing breaking stuff that hard...see strasburg. But its still early and could easily just be some stiffness for now. I'd give it 2-3 weeks before I'd get nervous.

I think RZ's point was that he wasn't going to be accruing any service time whether he was on the DL or not, since he has been optioned to the minors.

He doesn't need two months in the minors to avoid accruing an entire service year. He has to stay below 172 days to be less than a year. He got 15 days of service last season, so he can't have more than 156 this year. There are 183 days this year (Mar 31 thru Sep 29). So he needs to be in minors for at least 27 days throughout the year (today is his 2nd).

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I think RZ's point was that he wasn't going to be accruing any service time whether he was on the DL or not, since he has been optioned to the minors.

He doesn't need two months in the minors to avoid accruing an entire service year. He has to stay below 172 days to be less than a year. He got 15 days of service last season, so he can't have more than 156 this year. There are 183 days this year (Mar 31 thru Sep 29). So he needs to be in minors for at least 27 days throughout the year (today is his 2nd).

Yes, but that was what I was saying too. If they would have investigated this tightness in his elbow and put him on the DL before they sent him down I'm pretty sure he would have had to go on the ML DL, which he would have accrued time on. Sending him down so early (when a lot of us scratched our heads) and then having this pop up makes a whole lot of sense now. Say if they had to put him on the ML DL and he would have had surgery and been out for the year he would have eaten a year of service time AND been out of the season.

Yeah I wasn't sure how long, I was saying 2 months to be safe.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

MASN: Updating Dylan Bundy
http://www.masnsport...ues-so-far.html

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Baltimore Sun: Bundy still not throwing
http://www.baltimore...story?track=rss

Orioles top pitching prospect Dylan Bundy remains shelved after experiencing right elbow and forearm tightness in late March.

He has yet to throw off a mound and is instead doing strengthening exercises at the club's spring training complex in Sarasota, Fla. There is no set timetable for when he will pitch in his first minor league game this season at Double-A Bowie.

Orioles director of player development Brian Graham said the 20-year-old Bundy is not feeling any lingering soreness, but the club is purposely taking it slowly with him.

"We are being cautious," Graham said. "He is pain-free, and right now he is doing his strengthening."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=