471 replies to this topic

#361 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

On this weeks podcast we discussed a hypothetical trade if Jackson wanted out of town, like Deshaun Watson.

Cannot reiterate the word HYPOTHETICAL enough as none of us want him gone, nor is he unhappy about his situation here to our knowledge. That said I suggested Wilson as part of the package in return...and now Wilson trade rumors are swirling.

Using the Stafford trade as a baseline where they got back a 3rd, two 1sts, and Goff, I suggested 3 1sts and Wilson at a minimum, since his salary we would be responsible for is base salaries of $19M the next two years, and then $22M the final year. Real good value compared to other elites. They can release or trade Wilson anytime with no cap penalties. The 1sts can allow you to get your next franchise QB anytime to potentially take over for the then 36 y/o free agent Wilson. In the meantime you still have a QB capable of taking you to a Super Bowl at a lower, not guaranteed cost. Seahawks get a disgruntled player out of town and a younger elite QB in return who they would likely go over $400M in an extension for. Ravens wouldn’t have to pay a giant extension to a QB for potentially 8 more years down the road. (3 years of Wilson at a discount, 5 years on the rookie contract for the next guy).

HYPOTHETICALLY of course. Not what we actually want.
@BSLMikeRandall

#362 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

3 firsts PLUS Russell Wilson?

I love Lamar and think he's immensely valuable, but that's too much.  Wilson himself will probably go for the equivalent of 3 firsts if he's dealt.

#363 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:25 PM

The Ringer: The Seahawks Wouldn’t Really Trade Russell Wilson … Right?

#364 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:04 PM

I had to read that a few times just to see if I had it right.  Trade Russell Wilson and your next 3 first round draft picks for Lamar Jackson?  There is no way they would do that.  The only benefit Seattle really gets out of that is they would be gaining 8 years of youth.  Jackson is a former MVP, former TD pass leader, and rushing QB leader.  Wilson is an 8x pro bowler, former QB ratings leader, former TD pass leader, and a Super bowl winner.  To trade him plus 3 first round picks would be absurd.  They would be getting a much younger QB, a much more dynamic double threat QB, but a guy who will also be getting Wilson type money plus as well in his next contract.  They would be giving up and older, proven QB who isn't nearly as dynamic, but is so far a more polished passer.  

Now from the Ravens standpoint, if Seattle offered that, I don't see how you can't take it no matter how much you love Lamar Jackson.  The goal is winning superbowls.  With Wilson and bringing in a veteran FA WR, you give yourself a chance at a SB in the next several years, plus 2 first round picks for the next 3 years.  With the Raven's track record on drafting, they could not only win a SB in the next few years, but also build a team that could be a SB contender for the next 5 after that, and replace some of the big contracts they have.  That would give them more money to play in the FA game.  And if they draft another top notch QB, no easy task obviously, they might be in line for multiple SB's simply because of the talent those high picks could bring them.  If I was a GM, that's too good an offer to pass up.

But as I said, it ain't happening.  I don't know how the Seahawks/WIlson thing escalated so out of hand, but it's nothing that can't be fixed by cooler heads taking over and hitting the reset button.  And there is no way they are sending Wilson packing with 3 first round picks in his pocket.  I'm not even sure they would do that for Patrick Maholmes.  What good is having the best QB in the league, if a lot of your cap is tied up in him and you have no high draft picks to make your team better?

#365 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

If I was Seattle I wouldn’t do it. But that would be my ask if I’m DeCosta and Seattle called me. I’m 100% content with Jackson but if you want younger, and want a disgruntled guy out of your house, I need 3 first rounders too.

I’m basically saying we don’t need to make this deal. You do. So you’re gonna have to overpay if you want him out that bad, and want an MVP in return.

Fully understand it’s never happening.
@BSLMikeRandall

#366 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

#367 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:54 AM

ESPN: Better, worse or the same? How the Seattle Seahawks' defense has changed this offseason

https://www.espn.com...-this-offseason

#368 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:15 AM

The Ringer: How Russell Wilson Spent His Summer Vacation

#369 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

#370 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 07:27 AM

The Ringer: Have the Seahawks Found the Answers on Offense?

#371 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:08 AM

Russell Wilson expected to miss six weeks after undergoing surgery on his finger, per report

#372 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:22 AM

The Ringer: The Seahawks Might As Well Get Started on Their Rebuild

#373 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:48 PM

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero
Blockbuster: The #Seahawks and #Broncos have agreed in principle on a trade sending nine-time Pro Bowl QB Russell Wilson to Denver for a massive haul, including multiple first-round draft picks, plus additional picks and players, per sources

#374 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:54 PM

Woah.  Interested to see the price tag.

Also I would imagine this comes with a new deal for Russel.  I don't think he matches Rodgers, but I'm very interested to see if all of the top QBs will not surpass Mahomes' $45M.

Really wish we had signed Lamar for $43M when it was possible (assuming it was).

#375 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:58 PM

Woah.  Interested to see the price tag.

Also I would imagine this comes with a new deal for Russel.  I don't think he matches Rodgers, but I'm very interested to see if all of the top QBs will not surpass Mahomes' $45M.

Really wish we had signed Lamar for $43M when it was possible (assuming it was).

Yeah, I just said Allen might not be top 5 in a year, I should have said in a month. I don't think Lamar is signing for Allen money in the current market.

#376 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:26 PM

Damn

Allan Bell

Seahawks Receive:
1st Round Pick
1st Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
5th Round Pick
Drew Lock
Shelby Harris
Noah Fant

Broncos Receive:
Russell Wilson
4th Round Pick

#377 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:34 PM

I'd rather have Wilson than all those other things if I'm a team trying to contend.  Good deal for the Broncos, IMO.  They'll miss Harris and Fant a bit, but overall I think the juice is worth the squeeze here.  Wilson is incredibly good.

#378 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:55 PM

Broncos have proven over the past 20+ years that they have no idea how to draft/develop a QB so probably a good deal to make.

#379 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:02 PM

I'd rather have Wilson than all those other things if I'm a team trying to contend.  Good deal for the Broncos, IMO.  They'll miss Harris and Fant a bit, but overall I think the juice is worth the squeeze here.  Wilson is incredibly good.

I agree he's worth it. It's a ton but he's good.

Hoping the Seahawks want a new QB with the #9 pick.

#380 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:04 PM

Ouch. While I'm sure that was the best offer out there, Seattle should have just kept him if that's all they could get. Looks like they're entering the Bryce Young sweepstakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=