#183 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Josh Donaldson to the Twins, 4 year deal, $92 million. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@beginthebegin71

#184 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

That's an absurd deal for a guy who will struggle to hit to the tune of an .800 OPS for the life of the contract.

#185 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

Seems like a good deal for the Twins to me. His age and the risk that comes with it is what kept his cost down to only that $23M average ($20M if option picked up). His performance has been worth a good bit more.

They should get surplus value this year, will help to make the back end palatable whenever he falls off. Like any big FA deal, you basically assume the last year will be a disaster.

#186 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

Seems like a good deal for the Twins to me. His age and the risk that comes with it is what kept his cost down to only that $23M average ($20M if option picked up). His performance has been worth a good bit more.

They should get surplus value this year, will help to make the back end palatable whenever he falls off. Like any big FA deal, you basically assume the last year will be a disaster.

I'd feel better about it if he could stay healthy. But I get the same feeling about him that I got about Chris Davis right before he fell off a cliff. He's declining, and the bottom could fall out at any time. That's not to suggest that he'll become Chris Davis, because nobody could become that big of a dumpster fire, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a league-average or worst player before the end of year two.

#187 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:34 PM

Davis had a terrible season two years before he got paid. Donaldson has one year that was only good (2018) and every other year he's been great.

The injuries are a real concern. Falling off is not, at least not any more than any other guy. Players fall off, it happens. But Donaldson is a much safer bet to remain solid than Davis was, with the exception of age. He hs never shown that he is susceptible to a bad year like Davis had.

#188 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Davis had a terrible season two years before he got paid. Donaldson has one year that was only good (2018) and every other year he's been great.

The injuries are a real concern. Falling off is not, at least not any more than any other guy. Players fall off, it happens. But Donaldson is a much safer bet to remain solid than Davis was, with the exception of age. He hs never shown that he is susceptible to a bad year like Davis had.

Maybe. In his age 34 season I have my doubts that his performance will hold up, but I could be wrong. Just not a gamble I'd take on a guy that old.

#189 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:29 AM

It’s fair to be worried about him because of age. But there is zero in his stats to be worried that he is about to take a down turn.

He has had some recent injuries issues...he missed about 50 games in 2017 and only played in 52 games in 2018. Outside of those 2 years, he has played 155+ games.

His defense is still above average although perhaps not as strong as 4 years ago.

Minnesota plays as a pitchers park, which can hurt anyone but I also think the new Braves stadium plays like a pitchers park and he thrived there.

It’s a good signing for a franchise that has a chance to win And isn’t usually a destination team for most FA.

I’m sure they really only wanted to go 3 years but it has been said for a while that plenty of teams are in on him for 3 years and it’s the team that will give him 4 years that get him.

#190 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

And for upside, if he is one of the few guys who beats the age curve, they effectively have an $8M option on him for 2024. 

#191 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

It's kinda crazy how much Donaldson has moved around, given his level of talent and positional scarcity. I find that interesting. 

#192 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

It's kinda crazy how much Donaldson has moved around, given his level of talent and positional scarcity. I find that interesting. 

The fight with Billy Beane that got him shipped out of Oakland is the only significant story about him or his personality that I've seen.  But I've always kind of felt the same way about him that I think you are implying here.  

I don't recall hearing any teammates complain about him, though.  So maybe his uncooperativeness is always just directed at management.  Or maybe it's just all overblown.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#193 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:05 AM

The Ringer: In Trading for Kenta Maeda, the Twins Are Finally Acting Like a Contender

#194 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 August 2020 - 09:54 PM

Don't wanna get carried away, but it appears Byron Buxton may finally be breaking out. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#195 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:53 AM

Don't wanna get carried away, but it appears Byron Buxton may finally be breaking out. 

He has had spurts before, but he is playing well now.

@mikeghg

#196 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

CBS Sports: Twins' Kenta Maeda falls three outs short of MLB's first no-hitter of 2020 vs. Brewers

https://www.cbssport...020-vs-brewers/

#197 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

CBS Sports: Twins' Kenta Maeda falls three outs short of MLB's first no-hitter of 2020 vs. Brewers

https://www.cbssport...020-vs-brewers/

It sounds like some of the pitchers are rounding into shape.  Maeda is one of those under the radar guys, who is pretty good.

@mikeghg

#198 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

538: This Is The Byron Buxton We Were Promised

#199 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

CBS Sports: Byron Buxton injury update: Struggling Twins lose star outfielder for 'weeks' to Grade 2 hip strain

https://www.cbssport...e-2-hip-strain/

#200 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:56 AM

CBS Sports: Breaking down Twins' next three weeks, which will prove to be crucial to enter postseason race

https://www.cbssport...ostseason-race/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=