• Please log in to reply
2487 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I actually like a lot of things about what the NBC Sports Network is doing, but I agree that Fox is better prepared to compete.

I really despised the previous Fox Sports Net from back in the day.

Interesting, with the recent news around here, I see that Fox owns the Big Ten Network.

NBC Sports now has an interesting content sharing agreement (non-merger) with Yahoo.

I think we are on the verge (next 5 years) from seeing real shifts in viewing habits. ESPN will maintain as the leader, but others will be eating in their lead.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

NBC Sports now has an interesting content sharing agreement (non-merger) with Yahoo.

I think we are on the verge (next 5 years) from seeing real shifts in viewing habits. ESPN will maintain as the leader, but others will be eating in their lead.

One of the big issues with ESPN is that they are quickly losing their reputation as the place to go for both live sports and highlights. Fox and CBS have football--lots and lots of football--and NBC has hockey and (soon) soccer. They have the NBA and college but much of that already ends up on TNT and other networks. Plus, it isn't just First Take that has turned into all BS all the time; SportsCenter shows fewer and fewer highlights every day, and the league networks are taking a lot of that over.

Add in the likely changes to the cable universe over the next decade or two as well, and things could look a lot different.

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

http://deadspin.com/... ... t=55739913

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

http://deadspin.com/5972528/nobody-is-watching-nbc-sports-network?post=55739913

I'm the one!

They have to be a bit smarter than they have been. Last week Dan Patrick and his staff were on vacation. Instead of having additional live programming to show, they were showing replays of Patrick's show.

How do you show replays of previous sports discussion?

All they have do is create their own proprietary programming using their own writing talent from the different pages they have - Pro Football Talk, Hardball Talk, NBA, NCAA, etc.

If they do that, and they keep a long-term plan, they have a chance to be successful.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,411 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

They should be talking to the former Big East Catholic schools about their new basketball venture.

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

They should be talking to the former Big East Catholic schools about their new basketball venture.

As a (future) fan of the conference, this is what gets me excited about an inflated TV deal.

Just a few weeks ago, Pete Thamel was reporting that Fox Sports could be offering the new league $3 million per school. Now obviously, I think that is way too much money for the product. But, the good news for the schools is that these new sports channel endeavors means that these companies are looking for programming and inventory, and they're willing to pay a little bit more than usual to get product on their channels.

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,411 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

As a (future) fan of the conference, this is what gets me excited about an inflated TV deal.

Just a few weeks ago, Pete Thamel was reporting that Fox Sports could be offering the new league $3 million per school. Now obviously, I think that is way too much money for the product. But, the good news for the schools is that these new sports channel endeavors means that these companies are looking for programming and inventory, and they're willing to pay a little bit more than usual to get product on their channels.

Yep....with most of the big time sports content locked up long term at the present time, it's a seller's market. That said, go read the thread about the TV bubble in the MLB forum about why I think they (the new conference) should act fast.

#28 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Looking forward to the EPL in August. And whenever hockey returns... :cry:

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Sports on Earth: NBC Sports Network vs. ESPN
http://www.sportsone...rticle/40835384

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

http://profootballta... ... ob-parker/

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Awful Announcing: CNN replaces SI w/ Bleacher Report
http://www.awfulanno...llustrated.html

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

CNN's days as a reputable "news" outlet expired years ago. This fits perfectly with what they have become..

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

CNN's days as a reputable "news" outlet expired years ago. This fits perfectly with what they have become..

They seem to be the most reputable of the cable news channels to me.

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

They seem to be the most reputable of the cable news channels to me.

Considering the current state of cable news, that's like being the skinniest kid at fat camp.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Let's avoid a discussion of CNN, MSNBC, FOX... let's focus on what we should all agree on... Bleacher Report is just horrible lol.

I'm wondering if SI.com will wind-up as a partner of the NBC Sports Network, like Yahoo. Independent, with content sharing.

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,411 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Let's avoid a discussion of CNN, MSNBC, FOX... let's focus on what we should all agree on... Bleacher Report is just horrible lol.

I'm wondering if SI.com will wind-up as a partner of the NBC Sports Network, like Yahoo. Independent, with content sharing.

Sorry, Chris...didn't intend to cross any boundaries, but had to point out that the marriage seems only fitting. ;)

As for SI, I hope they stay as is....I don't see Time Warner wanting to sell it, but you never know. I enjoy their online sports coverage and writers, much more than that other 4-letter network.

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't think that this is an indictment of CNN itself. More of an indictment of the corporate structure, and Turner's purchase of that awful site in the first place.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

As for SI, I hope they stay as is....I don't see Time Warner wanting to sell it, but you never know. I enjoy their online sports coverage and writers, much more than that other 4-letter network.

Yep, SI has a lot of quality coverage. MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA Basketball & Football, Soccer. The content is consistently strong. I'd hate to see anything which impacted their current standards.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Bleacher report is the worst. But, maybe they get a little more reputable now? I tend to doubt it...I know I won't go to their site to read anything, that's for sure.

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Bleacher report is the worst. But, maybe they get a little more reputable now? I tend to doubt it...I know I won't go to their site to read anything, that's for sure.

We thought that was the case when they went out and hired actual writers. It wasn't. They're just a content farm to draw clicks, but they don't have anything worthwhile to look at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=