FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

They have 3 losses! #stupidhockeystandings

But those three losses were of the Florida Panther variety (in overtime). Still, you've got to admit that what they're doing this season is extremely impressive. When Toews and Kane are on the same page, it is borderline impossible to contain those two.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

But those three losses were of the Florida Panther variety (in overtime). Still, you've got to admit that what they're doing this season is extremely impressive. When Toews and Kane are on the same page, it is borderline impossible to contain those two.

They were still losses...I don't watch hockey but I hear about this everyday.

They have 3 losses this year, yet no losses in the loss colmn. That's just dumb.

Now, even if they were 20-3, that's still really good.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

A regulation loss versus an overtime loss are two very different things.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

A regulation loss versus an overtime loss are two very different things.

It's still a loss.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

So what?

@bopper33

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

So what?

The point is the "streak" isn't as impressive as it looks...ie, no losses in the loss column.

People are making such a big deal out of the fact that they haven't "lost"...but they have.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

It's like when Roger Clemens had a 22 game winning streak or whatever it was. He had won 22 straight decisions, but that was over like 30 starts or something, so the team hadn't won every game and even probably had some losses.

It's still impressive and a longer streak than others have ever had (not sure if this hockey streak is or not), but it's not a winning streak, IMO.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

It's like when Roger Clemens had a 22 game winning streak or whatever it was. He had won 22 straight decisions, but that was over like 30 starts or something, so the team hadn't won every game and even probably had some losses.

It's still impressive and a longer streak than others have ever had (not sure if this hockey streak is or not), but it's not a winning streak, IMO.

You're right, it isn't. It's a points streak.

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Nobody is claiming its a winning streak. They've earned at least a point in every game which, when you consider how hockey works, is incredibly impressive.

@bopper33

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Nobody is claiming its a winning streak. They've earned at least a point in every game which, when you consider how hockey works, is incredibly impressive.

You shouldn't earn a point when you lose.

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

You shouldn't earn a point when you lose.

Well, as long as you don't think so I'm sure the NHL will go against it's entire history and traditions to make the change :lol:

It's a low-scoring game, like soccer. So, getting the opponent to a position where there is a tie at the end of regulation either by keeping them from scoring or by scoring yourself is deemed enough of an accomplishment to be worth something more than a pure loss.

It wouldn't be worthwhile in a sport like baseball or basketball or football where points are plentiful, but it works.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Btw as a casual Red Wings fan this sorta annoys me, but its just so freaking impressive.

@bopper33

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

If you don't watch hockey, how do you have the basis to form an opinion about this?

It's an incredible streak, and is worth every bit of the attention it's getting... if not more. It's really amazing.

I will say that for someone who doesn't watch any hockey, I can see why you'd have this view - but I assure you, if you followed the NHL, you'd be very impressed.
  • DuffMan likes this

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

If you don't watch hockey, how do you have the basis to form an opinion about this?

It's an incredible streak, and is worth every bit of the attention it's getting... if not more. It's really amazing.

I will say that for someone who doesn't watch any hockey, I can see why you'd have this view - but I assure you, if you followed the NHL, you'd be very impressed.

I myself am more of a casual hockey fan -- but I think it's quite impressive in any sport to play that well over an extended period of time.
@levineps

#16 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Great point Rick, this is like me saying the Heat's winning streak is stupid because nobody in the NBA plays defense until the playoffs, I don't follow the NBA at all so I know nothing of what's going on. Kinda the same thing with Hockey if you don't follow it or get the game it's hard to comment on.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Great point Rick, this is like me saying the Heat's winning streak is stupid because nobody in the NBA plays defense until the playoffs, I don't follow the NBA at all so I know nothing of what's going on. Kinda the same thing with Hockey if you don't follow it or get the game it's hard to comment on.

I'm gonna defend SG here, I think you can still appreciate or criticize something you aren't as passionate, just others need to take those viewpoints FWIW. For example, my brother isn't the biggest baseball fan but he has some strong opinions. I try to explain to him why some of his "ideas" or "concepts" aren't so valid or logical. One of his ideas for example was stacking your team with the best (most expensive closers) so you'd have a deep 'pen. What he doesn't realize is just how volatile relievers can be and how you generally want to spend your $$$ in other spots. As I said, I thought what the Blackhawks was doing was pretty remarkable given the long period of time they've been doing it for.
@levineps

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

A point overlooked is that 20 games is like 40 games in MLB. If you had a team that was 40-6 with all 6 losses in extra innings it'd be borderline historical in baseball. Not to mention add in the physicality and injuries in hockey, it's pretty remarkable to see a team stay intact through 23 games let alone to go 20-3 or 20-0-3.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

As I said, if they were 20-3, that would be impressive. I'm not saying this isnt an impressive stretch, I'm just saying that they haven't WON 23 games in a row. The Miami Heat have won 16 games in a row...that's more impressive because they haven't actually lost.

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

Apples to oranges. And no it's not more impressive. The Rockets had a longer streak about 6 years ago. So did Jordan's Bulls. No NHL team has ever done this.

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=