• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

MD has games at Wake, home vs. UNC, and at UVA to close out the regular season.

They will then have at-least 1 game in ACCT.

If I ask what goals MD should have the rest of the way, the most basic answer would be winning the last 3 regular season games, and doing enough damage in the ACCT (at-least 2 wins), to have a chance at selection into the NCAAT.

Ok, that is within the realm of reason enough that I'm hoping for that as well.

However, as we said last night, the truth is that if you can't beat Georgia Tech, you really don't deserve to dance. I think we can also all agree that MD winning their next 5 games is unlikely.

So, if 5+ straight wins are unlikely, we can also likely agree that MD's post-season destination is the NIT.

What do you want to see from MD during whatever games they have left?

If MD winds-up in the NIT, do you play the guys who figure to comeback to College Park (everyone but Padgett, Aronhalt, and Len) more?

I'd like to see some consistent offense from Wells, and Faust to end the year. Wells has been distributing and facilitating for others lately. Last night, like we've seen several times this year, when MD got behind - Wells was the one looking to create and keep his team in the game. You could see him take the attitude of 'I'm going to the rim, try and stop me.' I'd like to see him get to do that the rest of the way, from the beginning.

I don't want to see any more games where either Mitchell or Cleare are glued to the bench for long stretches. You are going to rely on both next year, and they are both productive now anyway.

He's not a PG, but for at-least the rest of this year, I'd like to see Allen be the MD guard that dominates the ball.

#2 hslaw0905

hslaw0905
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'd love to see more of Cleare and Mitchell on the court together. At times they have both looked like the best player on the court for short stretches throughout the season, but one mental mistake finds them back on the bench. I hate that about Turgeon. I don't think these guys improve on those elements of their games unless they are on the court for more time.

I'm over Pe'shon, I agree that Allen should see the dominant guard for the stretch run.

I don't know what you do with Faust. I'd rather see an Allen/Wells/Layman combo on the floor the majority of the time, so where does Nick fit in?

Really this team should have dropped to an 8 man rotation long ago, with Pe'shon and Padgett the ones that struggle to see any significant minutes, Turgeon doesn't trust them anyway so way force them on the court. I'd much rather see Faust, Cleare/Mitchell, and Aronhalt come off the bench to switch tempo or give guys breathers if someone's really struggling. This team needs minutes to gel together. How can they expect to become a team when the same 5 guys are rarely on the court together?

I really want to see Wells become the guy all the time as well, not just when the team needs him to be. If he gets going early in games, his passing ability should allow him to get other guys going as well. It would be a real boost to the team.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Lesson #1 from this year which I think were all guilty of, myself included -- don't judge a team from a weak OOC schedule. That coupled with the VT game, led me to believe this team had a much higher ceiling.

At this point were largely playing for next year, barring a miracle. It's very tough to see them beating Miami or Duke on a neutral floor.
@levineps

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

If they win 3 games the rest of this season, including the ACC and NIT tournaments, I'll be a bit surprised.

I wouldn't change the rotation at all. Padgett and Aronhalt already only get limited minutes. And I definitely don't think that benching Len or reducing his playing time helps him or the team.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I wouldn't change much up right now. However in the NIT, I'd play Len less since he doesn't look to be around for next year.
@levineps

#6 accinfo

accinfo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I wouldn't change much up right now. However in the NIT, I'd play Len less since he doesn't look to be around for next year.

A coach generally isn't going to not play a guy like Len because he feels he is going pro. Turgeon as he should will reward the guys on his roster that show up and practice hard everyday. That is why a guy like Aronhalt will get minutes right until the end of this season whenever that is. He certainly isn't part of the future but good coaches reward work ethic and I suspect he has much of that. He especially wants to send that message to the freshman on this team. Building a program takes some time. It isn't done because you do well in the "recruiting wars." Fans see Maryland got 6 or 7 good recruits and expect to walk into the Final-4. That is half the battle. It happens when you sign Michigan's fab five or the number of top level recruits a Kentucky gets but these guys are good players but not at the level of those guys. Evaluate things after 5 years not 1 year plus. I will say it now, Maryland is no lock to make the NCAA tournament next year either. You are asking much from a freshman point guard to completely turn this around.
@accinfo

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

A coach generally isn't going to not play a guy like Len because he feels he is going pro. Turgeon as he should will reward the guys on his roster that show up and practice hard everyday. That is why a guy like Aronhalt will get minutes right until the end of this season whenever that is. He certainly isn't part of the future but good coaches reward work ethic and I suspect he has much of that. He especially wants to send that message to the freshman on this team. Building a program takes some time. It isn't done because you do well in the "recruiting wars." Fans see Maryland got 6 or 7 good recruits and expect to walk into the Final-4. That is half the battle. It happens when you sign Michigan's fab five or the number of top level recruits a Kentucky gets but these guys are good players but not at the level of those guys. Evaluate things after 5 years not 1 year plus. I will say it now, Maryland is no lock to make the NCAA tournament next year either. You are asking much from a freshman point guard to completely turn this around.

I think you make a lot of solid points that pretty much anyone would agree with. Even if MD is in the NIT, Turgeon can't stop playing Padgett, Aronhalt, and Len.

However, I do think it would be disappointing if there are any games like last night, where Mitchell was on the bench for significant stretches of the game. Cleare and Mitchell should get pretty much as much time as possible.

As far as next year goes, we've talked about it in several threads... might need to add a JUCO, or graduate like Aronhalt that is capable of helping to run the offense. Of course you have to be able to find such a player first.

#8 accinfo

accinfo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

However, I do think it would be disappointing if there are any games like last night, where Mitchell was on the bench for significant stretches of the game. Cleare and Mitchell should get pretty much as much time as possible.

As far as next year goes, we've talked about it in several threads... might need to add a JUCO, or graduate like Aronhalt that is capable of helping to run the offense. Of course you have to be able to find such a player first.

On the surface I agree with what you are saying about Cleare and Mitchell. However I suspect there is some message he is trying to send to them which none of us really know unless you see what is going on at practice. That is all I am trying to point out.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@accinfo

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

I look at it a little differently in the NIT. You are playing for the following year to some extent. I don't care how the coach would view things, that's how I would do it.

I do think more people need to think like you though and not think next year will be "great" like were so used to in sports though. It's always "one year away," that's just not always the case.
@levineps

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

What do you want to see from MD during whatever games they have left?

There are many things I would like to see Maryland do differently, however it's unlikely that they will. Fact is, we won't see a different team show up for the rest of the year. This is what we got. "They are who we thought they were." To be honest, this is the same team that beat Duke with 26 turnovers, they just happend to shoot 60% that day and Duke didn't make their 3's. Which they often live and die by the 3. To ask the Terps to shoot 60% every night is irrational, but to ask them to make crisper passes and handle the ball better is not. But they won't.

This team is just lazy. Our half court offense might be the one of the worst I've ever seen. Len does nothing to try to get open except the occasional pick and roll. He should be steping through defenders and going to the rim, but he opts for the turn around jumper. Allen and Faust are not good three point shooters, and consistently make lazy passes. If Layman misses his first shot of the game, he'll never get on track. Wells reminds me of Grevis as an underclassman. Takes a lot of tough shots, maybe some he shouldn't take, but makes a few. Hopefully he grows into Grevis as a senior and challenges for ACC POTY.

Theres the obvious things we all want MD to do better, and we all know what those things are, but they won't change. All of sudden they are going to start hustling, and moving without the ball, and maybe break a sweat? Not happening.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

There are many things I would like to see Maryland do differently, however it's unlikely that they will. Fact is, we won't see a different team show up for the rest of the year. This is what we got. "They are who we thought they were."

Mike I agree with the idea of 'they are who they are,' but that wasn't exactly what I was getting at here. I'm not asking them to flip a switch and be a different team. I'm saying, with the acknowledgement of their deficiencies, what are the best things which can happen in these last games, thinking in-terms of next year?

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Another thing I have a real problem with is Turgeon's view on the rest of the season. I can't remember exactly word for word what I heard him say after the GA Tech loss. But when asked about what he told the team after the loss, he said something along the lines of, There is a lot of basketball left, anything can happen, we're not sure which tournament we'll play in, either the NCAA's or NIT. But we'll be in one of them.

That might be one of the biggest loads of crap I've heard. There is not a lot of basketball left, this loss eliminated them from the NCAAs barring an ACC title, IMO. Anything can't happen, you have to make it happen. He also sounds content with being in the NIT, which if they lose four games to finish the season, which I can see happening, maybe they don't go to the NIT. They didn't go the last two years. No one gives a damn about the NIT, or Not Important Tournament. It mattered in the 70's when you had to win the ACC to go to the NCAA's. Maryland was a #1 ranked team in early 70's but lost to NC State one year who was also top 5 I think, and that made them change the rules for at large bids for the NCAA tourney. NIT used to mean something. Not anymore, as evident by the last time MD was in the NIT and about 10 people showed up to the games in College Park. I hope if they somehow get the invite for the NIT that no one shows up this time either. Maybe it would be a character builder for the players coming back next year. Turg does a lot of begging to get fans to show up to the non-conf games, and points out how great the crowd is for the Duke game and wishes we had that intensity for every game. Stop accepting mediocrity like this, and the crowds will come back for more than just Duke. Put a product out there that fans from the Baltimore area will drive 45 minutes to an hour to go see.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Mike I agree with the idea of 'they are who they are,' but that wasn't exactly what I was getting at here. I'm not asking them to flip a switch and be a different team. I'm saying, with the acknowledgement of their deficiencies, what are the best things which can happen in these last games, thinking in-terms of next year?

I gotcha. I would make somebody strictly the point guard. Turg used to be one at Kansas. He should be able to teach it. Make Allen run point the way a PG should and work with him all offseason on it. I had mentioned this before with Howard, but I think it would be more beneficial if Turgeon used his own guy and not a Gary recruit who likely isn't meshing well. I don't know much about Peters coming in next year, but I don't like the idea of a freshman running point unless he is really good. Maybe if they establish the point, some of the other problems work themselves out.
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

There is a lot of basketball left, anything can happen, we're not sure which tournament we'll play in, either the NCAA's or NIT. But we'll be in one of them.

That might be one of the biggest loads of crap I've heard. There is not a lot of basketball left, this loss eliminated them from the NCAAs barring an ACC title, IMO. Anything can't happen, you have to make it happen. He also sounds content with being in the NIT, which if they lose four games to finish the season, which I can see happening, maybe they don't go to the NIT. They didn't go the last two years. No one gives a damn about the NIT, or Not Important Tournament. It mattered in the 70's when you had to win the ACC to go to the NCAA's. Maryland was a #1 ranked team in early 70's but lost to NC State one year who was also top 5 I think, and that made them change the rules for at large bids for the NCAA tourney. NIT used to mean something. Not anymore, as evident by the last time MD was in the NIT and about 10 people showed up to the games in College Park. I hope if they somehow get the invite for the NIT that no one shows up this time either. Maybe it would be a character builder for the players coming back next year. Turg does a lot of begging to get fans to show up to the non-conf games, and points out how great the crowd is for the Duke game and wishes we had that intensity for every game. Stop accepting mediocrity like this, and the crowds will come back for more than just Duke. Put a product out there that fans from the Baltimore area will drive 45 minutes to an hour to go see.

I think you are reading WAY too much into Turgeon's comments.

Either that or you were just looking for an excuse to vent, which is fine, but don't make it seem like Turgeon is content with how this season has gone.

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think you are reading WAY too much into Turgeon's comments.

Either that or you were just looking for an excuse to vent, which is fine, but don't make it seem like Turgeon is content with how this season has gone.

I know he's not content, and I am venting a bit. But there's no excuse for losing to BC and GA Tech, road games or not. I don't know, quotes like that do little to motivate me as a fan. Since he said that that is what he told the team, I'm sure it does little to motivate them as well.
@BSLMikeRandall

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I know he's not content, and I am venting a bit. But there's no excuse for losing to BC and GA Tech, road games or not. I don't know, quotes like that do little to motivate me as a fan. Since he said that that is what he told the team, I'm sure it does little to motivate them as well.

Did he make an excuse for those losses? I don't remember hearing one, aside from we didn't play well enough, which isn't an excuse it's a reality.

I don't think you can judge what he's telling the team based on his one-sentence summary of the overall message.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Another thing I have a real problem with is Turgeon's view on the rest of the season. I can't remember exactly word for word what I heard him say after the GA Tech loss. But when asked about what he told the team after the loss, he said something along the lines of, There is a lot of basketball left, anything can happen, we're not sure which tournament we'll play in, either the NCAA's or NIT. But we'll be in one of them.

I agree at a school like Maryland, playing in the NIT isn't that exciting. Nonetheless as you pointed out it's been three years since they played postseason basketball. So while playing for #69 isn't the most glamorous thing in the world, I don't think it should be looked down upon so much. Maryland hasn't even made to the 2nd weekend in the Tourney in nearly a decade.

I don't hope no one shows up. I'm not saying that the place should be filled but I just don't like the idea of not supporting the home team to send a message like someone who suggested boycotting an O's game last year.
@levineps

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

We'll probably have to win a couple games down the stretch to even get a home NIT game.

I don't support the idea that it'd be better for anybody if the fans don't show up, though, if we do have home NIT games.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

We'll probably have to win a couple games down the stretch to even get a home NIT game.

I don't support the idea that it'd be better for anybody if the fans don't show up, though, if we do have home NIT games.

Yeah, it wouldn't be better - but I highly doubt I'd watch it. The NIT sucks. It's awful. This isn't being sore loser type of thing either. I guess what I'd say is that if the Caps were on, I wouldn't be tuning into an NIT game even if the Terps were involved.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I don't really think the NIT is any less quality of basketball than the majority of Terps games this year.

All depends on how seriously the players take it. The first year Maryland was in the NIT, they played hard and made it all the way to the semifinals in Madison Square Garden. The next year they didn't care and lost the first game at home.

I think with this young of a team, that they'd play hard and perhaps could get some needed experience out of it.

I'd certainly watch the games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=