DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 6191.story

The subject comes up because Jeff Barker asked Mark Turgeon about Maryland playing Georgetown, and the Terps' coach expressed interest despite the difficulties in scheduling with the ACC expansion.

My question is...who the hell cares if Maryland and Georgetown are involved?

The five Philadelphia schools are famous because they are the primary basketball schools in that region; I believe only Drexel has a Division I program outside of that group before you hit UD or Rutgars. And, as luck* would have it, there are five Division I basketball programs in the immediate vicinity of Baltimore: Loyola, Towson, Morgan State, Coppin State and UMBC.

*Assuming, of course, anyone would consider having Towson and UMBC basketball as "lucky".

It does take a long time to build up the history of something like the Big Five, plus they have all of the surrounding history of the Palestra and everything else. But why wouldn't these five schools find some way to play, and build some hype around it that could help build interest in what is already a very active region for basketball recruiting?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

I don't care about MD playing Georgetown, but that is a game that many Washingtonians are clamoring for. It is ridiculous how infrequently they have played (the CapCenter game to begin Joe Smith's Freshman yr, that put MD back on the map, the '01 S16 game, and the beat the Hoyas gave MD in Florida last year.

As far as the Baltimore Big Five goes, I think the key is the proposed new Arena. With a shiny new building, you can host better events. Each of the local Five (or 6 if you want to include Navy) could host a major OOC opponent. The CAA, American East, MEAC, Patriot could host their conference tourneys here (not to mention ACCT, and NCAAT games).

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

Balt Sun: Local Division I college men’s basketball preview for 2018-19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=