#41 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

I found the aggregate scoring interesting, but don't like it. I would rather see a best of 3.
@levineps

#42 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

David Beckham announces MLS Cup 2012 will be his last game with the LA Galaxy. Thoughts on his impact on MLS? Did his constant eye towards Europe in his first 4 years hurt or help the league?
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

David Beckham announces MLS Cup 2012 will be his last game with the LA Galaxy. Thoughts on his impact on MLS? Did his constant eye towards Europe in his first 4 years hurt or help the league?

Here is an article from last year addressing that topic:

http://articles.lati...am-mls-20111116

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

He certainly gave them additional buzz at the start, but I think the novelty wore down. Is anyone sad to see him go? Ultimately, I think it's a help though. Not sure how him being in the league could really "hurt" it.
@levineps

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

He certainly gave them additional buzz at the start, but I think the novelty wore down. Is anyone sad to see him go? Ultimately, I think it's a help though. Not sure how him being in the league could really "hurt" it.

From the article I linked (this was last year):

"Since his arrival, the expansion fee for an MLS franchise has quadrupled to $40 million. The league, which once paid to have its games broadcast on television, next season will begin banking $10 million a year from NBC in addition to rights fees from Univision and ESPN. And that's just a fraction of the value of the Galaxy's new contract with Time Warner Cable, which is expected to pay the team $55 million over 10 years to jump from Fox Sports West to a fledgling regional cable network.

The Galaxy, the league's marquee franchise, is estimated to be worth more than $100 million, and attendance around the league is way up — this year the MLS regular-season average climbed 7% to 17,872, better than last season's NBA and NHL figures."

#46 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

At first watching Beckham play for the Galaxy was exciting. I've always liked soccer, but I never could sit through an entire MLS game. Eventually the novelty of Beckham wore off, but watching him play against the rest of the league got me interested in the league as a whole. The MLS on TV has gotten better as ESPN, FSC and NBC have gone out and gotten real announcers and analysts. So overall I think the Beckham experiment worked when you break it down piece by piece.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#47 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

From the article I linked (this was last year):

"Since his arrival, the expansion fee for an MLS franchise has quadrupled to $40 million. The league, which once paid to have its games broadcast on television, next season will begin banking $10 million a year from NBC in addition to rights fees from Univision and ESPN. And that's just a fraction of the value of the Galaxy's new contract with Time Warner Cable, which is expected to pay the team $55 million over 10 years to jump from Fox Sports West to a fledgling regional cable network.

The Galaxy, the league's marquee franchise, is estimated to be worth more than $100 million, and attendance around the league is way up — this year the MLS regular-season average climbed 7% to 17,872, better than last season's NBA and NHL figures."

I look at from more of an outsiders perspective, since I'm not really a soccer fan. I just don't think he had as big of an impact as it's being made out to be. I don't think he became Wayne Gretzky.

Sure, the league grew, but how much of that is just coincidence? I didn't realize how much the Galaxy's TV rights were. I guess he's probably partially responsible for that at the least. But it's probably somewhat due to the fact of the LA market as well.

In terms of attendance, it's not comparable for a multiude of reasons. First, NBA/NHL arenas are smaller for the most part. Second, there are less games in MLS. Third, my guess is it costs less to go to an MLS game. Fourth, if you want to look at the ratings, atleast with the NBA, they are substantially higher. RFK seats 45k for example (after the Nats renovation), they close the upper deck. If they could draw that figure, they'd keep it open. Do we compare baseball and football attendance figures?
@levineps

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

NBC Sports / Pro Soccer Talk: An early, early, early look at Galaxy - Houston
http://prosoccertalk...-final/related/

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

ESPN: 5 thoughts on the MLS Playoffs
http://soccernet.esp.../id/652?cc=5901

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

ESPN: Jeff Carlisle's Best MLS XI
http://soccernet.esp.../id/667?cc=5901

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

MLS.com: Best XI
http://www.mlssoccer...012-mls-best-xi

2012 MLS Best XI:

Jimmy Nielsen Goalkeeper Sporting Kansas City Nationality: Denmark Born: August 6, 1977

A finalist for the Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year, Nielsen led his team to the second best regular season record (18-7-9) in 2012, playing every minute of all 34 regular season games. Nielsen led the league in Goalkeeper Wins (18) and Shutouts (15), and was second in Goals Against Average with 0.79. This is Nielsen’s first Best XI selection.

Víctor Bernárdez Defender San Jose Earthquakes Nationality: Honduras Born: May 24, 1982

A finalist for MLS Defender of the Year and Newcomer of the Year, Bernárdez has emerged as one of the top center backs in MLS.

The hulking defender helped lead the Earthquakes to the league’s best record (19-6-9), contributing two goals and one assist. The Honduran international joined the Earthquakes after three years with Belgian Pro League giant RSC Anderlecht. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Matt Besler Defender Sporting Kansas City Nationality: USA Born: February, 11, 1987

This year’s MLS Defender of the Year, Besler has established himself as one of the dominant central defenders in the league. While leading the defensive unit that registered the best regular season goals against average (0.79) in MLS this season, Besler also contributed two assists. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Aurélien Collin Defender Sporting Kansas City Nationality: France Born: March 8, 1986

A tenacious central defender, Collin has anchored Sporting’s defense this season, while scoring three goals and one assist. A finalist for Allstate Defender of the Year, he started 28 and played in 29 games this season for Kansas City. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Osvaldo Alonso Midfielder Seattle Sounders FC Nationality: Cuba Born: November 11, 1985

Appearing in 30 games this season, Alonso dominated the central midfield for Seattle and aided the Sounders in earning their fourth consecutive MLS Cup Playoffs berth. The hard-working midfielder helped the Sounders defense hold the second lowest Goals Against Average in the league at 0.97, while offensively contributing one goal and two assists. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Landon Donovan Midfielder LA Galaxy Nationality: USA Born: March 4, 1982

Donovan led the league in game-winning assists this year with five, and was second in the league with 14 assists. This year he scored nine goals in 26 games for the Galaxy. In 2011, Donovan captained the Galaxy to its third MLS Cup title – scoring the final’s only goal – and the Supporters’ Shield for the second straight season.

Chris Pontius Midfielder D.C. United Nationality: USA Born: May 12, 1987

Pontius led D.C. United in goals this year with a career-high 12 strikes, while adding four assists. A finalist for the Comeback Player of the Year award, he returned from a broken leg at the end of 2011 and started 26 of the 31 matches he played this season. His play this season helped propel D.C. into the playoffs for the first time since 2007. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Graham Zusi Midfielder Sporting Kansas City Nationality: USA Born: August 18, 1986

A finalist for the 2012 Volkswagen MLS MVP, Zusi had a breakout season for Sporting Kansas City. He led the league in assists this season with 15, while also scoring five goals. The 23rd overall pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, he started 31 of the 32 regular season games he played this year. Earlier this year, Zusi earned his first cap with the US men’s national team and quickly established himself as a regular, appearing in six matches in 2012. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Thierry Henry Forward New York Red Bulls Nationality: France Born: August 17, 1977

The French World Cup champion continued to excel in his second full season with the New York Red Bulls. He scored 15 goals and added a team-high 12 assists in 25 games. Henry has 123 caps for France, and is his national team’s all-time leading scorer with 51 goals. This is his second consecutive MLS Best XI selection.

Robbie Keane Forward LA Galaxy Nationality: Ireland Born: July 8, 1980

In his first full season with the Galaxy, Keane led the Galaxy attack with 16 goals, while adding nine assists in 28 games played. The talented forward is Ireland’s all-time leader in goals and their current captain. This is his first MLS Best XI selection.

Chris Wondolowski Forward San Jose Earthquakes Nationality: USA Born: January 28, 1983

The winner of the 2012 Budweiser Golden Boot award, Wondolowski led the league in scoring with 27 goals, tying the all-time single season record. He is the only player in MLS history to score the most regular season goals in three consecutive seasons. A finalist for the 2012 Volkswagen MLS MVP, Wondolowski tallied seven assists while helping the Earthquakes win the 2012 Supporters’ Shield. This is his third consecutive MLS Best XI selection.
Awards

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

SI: Dynamo out of MLS Cup spotlight, which suits them just fine
http://sportsillustr...ml?sct=sc_wr_a2

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Goal.com: How Arena turned Galaxy's season around
http://www.goal.com/...ason-around-in-

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

SI: State of the MLS w/ Don Garber
http://sportsillustr...rber/index.html

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

SI: Crunching numbers: Statistical breakdown of the MLS Cup Final
http://sportsillustr...l?sct=sc_t11_a4

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Fox Soccer: What about us?
http://msn.foxsports...-preview-113012

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Carr puts Houston up 1-0 in the 44th minute.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Omar Gonazlez (former Terp) with an equalizer! 60th minute...

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Donovan! Finishes a penalty kick... LA leads 2-1 at the 66th minute.

Field overrun with confetti.

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Keane with a goal in extra time... Beckham leaves to an ovation, as his MLS career ends.

Galaxy will win their 2nd consecutive title, with a 3-1 victory over Houston.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=