HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

ESPN: Suit claims nickname infringement

http://espn.go.com/c...ll-infringement

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel can't capitalize on his name, but he can protect it.

@levineps

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

ESPN: Johnny Manziel tweets unhappiness

http://espn.go.com/c...college-station

First of all, Johnny Manziel is the absolute antithesis of the student-athlete. I'm not going to pretend it's all pure but his lifestyle is more of a rockstar, crisscrossing the country to prime sporting events, cultural happenings, etc.

Him asking for sympathy is a bit much with the "walk a mile in my shoes." He's brought a lot of this on himself with his lifestyle. When you tweet pics at courtside seats, with hot girls, drinking (when you aren't 21)... don't expect privacy.

Yes, I think winning the Heisman cost him some in this matter as I do believe it comes with the territory to a large extent. But he sure isn't helping his case. That self-imposed Twitter withdrawal didn't last too long.

@levineps

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

He's making it pretty easy to root against him at this point.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

Don't get me wrong, if he's within the rules, he can do what he wants. So far, there's no clear violations even if I have my suspicions. I just like his whole "woah is me" when he puts largely puts himself in that position in what he can control.

@levineps

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, he seems like a pretty primo jackass, IMO. Still not 100% sold on his pro-credentials either, but I guess if I had to predict an outcome, I'd say he's got a chance to be pretty good in the pro's.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

"Don't ever forget that I love A&M with all of my heart, but please please walk a day in my shoes."

And if he thinks life is going to be any simpler in the NFL, he's got another thing coming.

#8 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Just a kid who really doesn't know any better.  Most likely, he'll learn.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Just a kid who really doesn't know any better.  Most likely, he'll learn.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't, he can't get out of the limelight.

@levineps

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'm sure a lot of kid's in his situation feel similarly to Manziel, but he is actually out there verbalizing it, which is just short sighted. Hopefully he learns from all of this, but a track record is emerging, as well as a bigger sample size that suggests he might not. I can't blame him for feeling the way he does, but the way he's dealt with it is pretty stupid.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm sure a lot of kid's in his situation feel similarly to Manziel, but he is actually out there verbalizing it, which is just short sighted. Hopefully he learns from all of this, but a track record is emerging, as well as a bigger sample size that suggests he might not. I can't blame him for feeling the way he does, but the way he's dealt with it is pretty stupid.

I'd get it more if he wanted a simple life and wasn't tweeting photos of himself drinking (with the disclaimer it was with his parents, legal under Texas law), sitting in courtside seats at high profile games, rubbing elbows with other celebs. I just don't think he's helping his case when he does these types of things, he's just bringing more attention to himself. He can do what he wants. Until he made that tweet, I got the impression he liked and even craved the attention he was getting.

I do understand the downside to being a high profile athlete, you lose privacy and especially in this social media age, whatever you do can get sent out over the world. But yeah, to make it sound like he has a hard life is dumb, he'll be making millions before he knows it and he can just about any girl he wants.

@levineps

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I get that he's probably under a lot of stress, but the 'walk a mile in my shoes' thing is absurd. What about the guy or girl that is working full time and going to school, piling up thousands of dollars worth of debt to try and get a degree, with no promised job ahead of them? They aren't jet setting all over the country, schmoozing it up with the rich and the famous as a sophomore in college. Yeah, he's got more stress than most people his age, that makes sense. But he's a successful athlete, with (barring injury) a life changing, multi million dollar contract in his future, and is enjoying quite a few of the 'spoils' of being the big man on campus as well. I don't think he's going to get a bit of sympathy from anyone and probably isn't too deserving anyway.

• Oriole85, FlavaDave10 and Don Quixote like this

@AdamWolff

#13 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

He could be the next Ryan Leaf if he doesn't straighten himself out. 

• fishteacher and Don Quixote like this

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#14 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

He could be the next Ryan Leaf if he doesn't straighten himself out. 

Yeah and hell, Leaf handled college just fine. I'm sure he doesn't realize this, but not being able to handle the stress at the college level will be a big red flag for teams thinking about investing money in him. 

@AdamWolff

#15 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

People love to judge. Everyone bashing the kid, but you truly have no idea what's its like for him.

@fuzydunlop

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

People love to judge. Everyone bashing the kid, but you truly have no idea what's its like for him.

That's why I'm careful not to really judge or let it make me dislike the guy or anything. We don't truly know. But because we don't, that doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

An interesting thing to keep in mind here is that sometimes professional athletes (or famous athletes nevertheless) are victims. Think of the countless pro's who have had to pursue litigation to stop people from leaching and taking advantage of them. People are sick.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ok please defend his lifestyle and tell me he's not asking for this?

Say what you want about Tebow, but you never heard him doing this kind of stuff. He can do as he pleases but he's putting himself out there.

No one knows what it's like to walk in anyone else shoe's I'm not going to pretend I have it harder than someone who was born into dirt poverty. We all have our challenges and limitations.

@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

I get the whole not judging people angle. I also think when you are a public figure (by choice), you are fair game even moreso when you keep a high profile (as Manziel has chosen). I'm judging him, I don't know the whole story, he could have some obstacles I'm completely unaware. I'm just observing based on what is out there, no more or no less than I can do. In many situations where we make judgments on others, we don't have all the details. NFL teams are going to be judging him as well.

All that said there's probably a lot of value in what McNulty and Ricker are saying.

@levineps

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

I think Manziel could struggle this year because of all this off the field stuff.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think Manziel could struggle this year because of all this off the field stuff.

Apparently his 21st is the day before the SEC Championship if A&M goes that far.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=