Photo

Jim Johnson

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

Poll: Fair or foul to boo Jim Johnson? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your thoughts on booing a struggling hometown ballplayer?

1. Fair (11 votes [61.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. Foul (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

As I write this, the Umpires have reviewed call at Fenway, and Johnson has his first blown save of the year. This is the first adversity Johnson has really faced this year a Closer. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

Had to happen. I thought our review had a chance because the fan hit it with his hat. A lot to ask of the ump there though. Tough, we need this game.

Yeah, hit it with his hat... when it was in HR territory...

I'm not sad that this happened. We won the game and now I won't have to cringe every time an announcer brings up the streak...

I think Cal wore me out about streaks of any kind, I just don't wanna hear about them... if I was a player, I'd hate them... they cause reporters to ask you the same stupid questions again and again and again when you're just trying to focus on the next game...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Even with his first hiccup last night, I don't see anyway Johnson isn't an all star. He's tied for 2nd in the entire majors in saves and has the lowest ERA. I know some funky things have to happen with all star selections, but JJ should be a no brainer.

@AdamWolff

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Even with his first hiccup last night, I don't see anyway Johnson isn't an all star. He's tied for 2nd in the entire majors in saves and has the lowest ERA. I know some funky things have to happen with all star selections, but JJ should be a no brainer.

If he keeps this up I agree with you. Here's how I see him not getting it though, some team needing a token selection and selecting a reliever since Jones is virtually assured a spot. Think Kansas City a few years back with Aaron Crow. It's been many years since the O's got two players (or had a decent record when these picks were announced). All that being said, if the choice was being made today, I would expect him to be chosen.
@levineps

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm not sad that this happened. We won the game and now I won't have to cringe every time an announcer brings up the streak...

I think Cal wore me out about streaks of any kind, I just don't wanna hear about them... if I was a player, I'd hate them... they cause reporters to ask you the same stupid questions again and again and again when you're just trying to focus on the next game...

The worst is the 4-5 game "hit streaks," which should just go unmentioned.
@levineps

#45 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

The worst is the 4-5 game "hit streaks," which should just go unmentioned.

Exactly. Once they reach 20 they're worth a mention...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#46 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Would just like to echo my sentiment that Jimmy better be selected for the all star game.

He's been arguably the best closer in the AL, close to in all of baseball. The only guy I think you can really make a case for would be Fernando Rodney, believe it or not. Same amount of saves, Rodney has a slightly lower ERA. JJ has a lower whip though, so it's basically a wash.

@AdamWolff

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Now that Jim Johnson (err, Ryan Flaherty) blew a 3-run lead against the Tigers on Saturday, I'm allowed to offer a criticism... wait for it...

He needs to be a little more eccentric...

Posted Image

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Palmer said in his speech that he could be Roy Halladay if he started..I find that very laughable and I usually respect everything Palmer says.

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Palmer said in his speech that he could be Roy Halladay if he started..I find that very laughable and I usually respect everything Palmer says.

Palmer was trying to be nice to the people who took the time to come to his ceremony. Halladay is a stretch but it is and has been his view that JJ could be a good starter. I think he may know pitchers better than all of us. Not laughable to think JJ could be a good starter.
@mikeghg

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Palmer was trying to be nice to the people who took the time to come to his ceremony. Halladay is a stretch but it is and has been his view that JJ could be a good starter. I think he may know pitchers better than all of us. Not laughable to think JJ could be a good starter.

It's not laughable to think he could be a good starter although I think it's unlikely.

It is laughable to think he could be one of the top 5 starters in the game.

#51 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

It's not laughable to think he could be a good starter although I think it's unlikely.

It is laughable to think he could be one of the top 5 starters in the game.

Pretty much. If he could keep his stuff for 100 pitches he'd be in our rotation right now.

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Blown saves are going to happen, but last night was a tough game to lose (trailing Oakland in the WC, having come back twice against the A's).

Johnson's era has ballooned to 3.71.

Season: 45 games, 1-1, 3.71 era, 30 saves, 3 bs, 43.2 ip, 38 hits, 3 hr's, 11 bb's, 24 k's, .613 OPS against, 2.02 G/F

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

4 saves, and 5 scoreless innings for Johnson since blowing the save on the 27th.

Season: 1-1, 3.33 era, 48.2 ip, 41 hits, 3 hr's, 12 bb's, 27 k's, .595 OPS against, 2.08 G/F

Last year in 69 games, he threw 91 ip. This year in 50 games, he has thrown just the 48.2 ip mentioned above.
He should be relatively fresh as we head towards the stretch.

#54 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Johnson has converted 37 of 40 saves, and the Elias Sports Bureau credits him with a major-league high 16 "quality saves," defined as one where he either enters with the tying run in scoring position or protects a one-run lead for a full inning. Strop has a 1.51 ERA and 21 holds with just four blown saves.

http://www.cbssports... ... ng-history

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

http://www.cbssports... ... ng-history

I've always found "blown saves" before the 9th inning interesting. I'd like to call them "blown holds" since the intention 99% of the time is not for them to get the "save."
@levineps

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

I've always found "blown saves" before the 9th inning interesting. I'd like to call them "blown holds" since the intention 99% of the time is not for them to get the "save."

Thats the whole problem with the save stat and why its so worthless.

You basically just said that saves only happen in the 9th inning. That's just wrong.

A save can happen in the 6th inning when a starter is taken out with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out and the reliever gets out of it when they give up nothing.

That much more of a save than a 3 run save where a pitcher comes in with no one on base in the 9th.

#57 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Thats the whole problem with the save stat and why its so worthless.

You basically just said that saves only happen in the 9th inning. That's just wrong.

A save can happen in the 6th inning when a starter is taken out with runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out and the reliever gets out of it when they give up nothing.

That much more of a save than a 3 run save where a pitcher comes in with no one on base in the 9th.

Not sure whether it's worthless or not... maybe... but I think it's just got the wrong name. They should call it "closes (in a somewhat close game)", not "saves", because that's what it really is. How useful it is, beats me...

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Not sure whether it's worthless or not... maybe... but I think it's just got the wrong name. They should call it "closes (in a somewhat close game)", not "saves", because that's what it really is. How useful it is, beats me...

It's very useful in inflating closers salaries especially with arbitration cases.
@levineps

#59 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

It's very useful in inflating closers salaries especially with arbitration cases.

That makes sense...

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

That makes sense...

http://espn.go.com/m...eaningful-again

Here's a good article on what I'm talking about.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=