22 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Any fans of the A10?

This is the closest I've ever seen the conference. Top tier is Temple and St. Louis, followed by the second tier teams of Xavier, St. Joe's, UMass, LaSalle, and St. Bonaventure. As of now, if I'm the committee, I see 3 A10 teams making the dance this season. I see Temple as a lock, with St. Louis and Xavier being the other two in.

As most of you know from OH, I am a huge Xavier fan. Last night was a must-win home game and Tu Holloway willed himself and the team there. He led X with 32 points to beat the Dayton Flyers 86-83 in overtime last night. He had an incredible 360 reverse 3 pointer in overtime. Lyons chipped in with 20 and Wells also had 12. T

With last night's win, Xavier continues the longest active Division 1 streak of consecutive .500 or better conference records at 29 seasons. Next up for Xavier is a big game (aren't they all important?) at UMass on Tuesday.

Oh and of course, Dayton has not won in Cincinnati since 1981. The Jimmy Carter streak continues.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

I've always thought the A10 was a good league, that could be better.

You mentioned Temple, Xavier, St. Louis, St. Joes, UMass, LaSalle, Dayton and St. Bonaventure. For those that forget, you also have Richmond, Charlotte, George Washington, Rhode Island, Fordham, and Duquesne.

I think the league would be better off if they rid themselves of St. Bonaventure, Fordham, and Duquesne. I can recall every other school having at least some success. I can't recall those three programs ever doing anything over the past 20 yrs.

#3 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Well, I might have jinxed us posting this thread a few days ago. Brett McMurphy is reporting that the Big East is taking Temple for all-sports starting in 2012.

http://brett-mcmurph...532522/34946571

Really upset at this, because it weakens the A10 even more. Temple has always been a staple in the conference and losing them might make the Atlantic 10 a one-bid conference.

Meanwhile, last night Xavier got beat by UMass by 6. Both teams started sloppy, as X had 10 turnovers in 4 minutes of play. At one point in the second half, the Minutemen were up by 20, but eventually the Muskies came back.

Turnovers, free throws, and poor defense has plagued this team all season. Although most bracketologists still have us in their Last Four In, I don't see how this team makes the tournament unless it wins the A10 Tournament in Atlantic City.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

I've always thought the A10 was a good league, that could be better.

You mentioned Temple, Xavier, St. Louis, St. Joes, UMass, LaSalle, Dayton and St. Bonaventure. For those that forget, you also have Richmond, Charlotte, George Washington, Rhode Island, Fordham, and Duquesne.

I think the league would be better off if they rid themselves of St. Bonaventure, Fordham, and Duquesne. I can recall every other school having at least some success. I can't recall those three programs ever doing anything over the past 20 yrs.

I was going to reply to this post yesterday, Stoner, but I ended up not having time. Obviously the news that Temple is leaving changes my opinion on the conference as a whole.

Frankly, I would love to get rid of the deadweight that is LaSalle, Fordham, Duquesne, and St. Bonaventure. In the past 2-3 years, the Dukes and Bonnies have made progress (as has LaSalle this season), but the fact of the matter is that the majority of A10 schools have not engaged in strengthening their athletic departments like some of the schools (Xavier, Dayton, Temple) has.

Now with Temple gone, I really see the A10 slipping in terms of conference rankings. If possible, I would love to merge/raid the CAA of its best teams, such as ODU and GMU. The A10 could also look at schools west such as Creighton, Butler, and Wichita State.

It'll be interesting how the conference reacts. Temple has been a historical member in the A10 and their loss will be felt by all members.

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

A10 tournament begins Tuesday at campus sites.

Game 1: #9 Duquesne @ #8 Massachusetts
Game 2: #12 Charlotte @ #5 Saint Joseph’s
Game 3: #10 Richmond @ 7. LaSalle
Game 4: #11 George Washington @ #6 Dayton

The quarterfinals are on Friday in Atlantic City:
Game 5: #1 Temple vs. Duquesne/UMass– noon (CBS Sports Network)
Game 6: #4 St. Bonaventure vs. Charlotte/St. Joseph's – 2:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Game 7: #2 Saint Louis vs. Richmond/LaSalle – 6:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Game 8: #3 Xavier vs. George Washington/Dayton – 9 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)

Semifinals on Saturday on CBS Sports Network:
Game 9: Temple/Duquesne/UMass vs. Bonnies/Charlotte/St. Joe's (1 PM)
Game 10: SLU/Richmond/LaSalle vs. Xavier/GW/Dayton (3:30 PM)

Finals on Sunday on CBS at 1 PM:
Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

The A10 Year Awards are up: http://cincinnati.co... ... onference/

Notables:
Coach of the Year: Fran Dunphy (Temple)
Player of the Year: Andrew Nicholson (St. Bonavanture) Look for him to be taken in the NBA Draft this year.
Rookie of the Year: Kendall Anthony (Richmond)
First Team All-Conference: Chaz Williams (Massachusetts), Andrew Nicholson (St. Bonaventure), Brian Conklin (Saint Louis), Ramone Moore (Temple), Tu Holloway (Xavier)

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

The first round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament went chalk, with all the home teams winning.

The quarterfinals are on Friday in Atlantic City:
Game 5: #1 Temple vs. #8 UMass– noon (CBS Sports Network)
Game 6: #4 St. Bonaventure vs. #5 St. Joseph's – 2:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Game 7: #2 Saint Louis vs. #7 LaSalle – 6:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Game 8: #3 Xavier vs. #6 Dayton – 9 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)

#8 DaveGilmoreBSR

DaveGilmoreBSR
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHistoric Woodberry

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

You are probably too young to remember "The Run" of 2004 but this has all the similar elements in play. The difference of course, was that year was going crappy until the Shootout, and this year, everything obviously fell apart.
BSR Game Cache @dave_gilmore

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

You are probably too young to remember "The Run" of 2004 but this has all the similar elements in play. The difference of course, was that year was going crappy until the Shootout, and this year, everything obviously fell apart.

Only really started paying attention to Xavier basketball my senior year of high school when I decided to attend there. Luckily, that spring was the Jordan Crawford show when the team had that incredible double OT game with Kansas St.

I don't remember "The Run," but I've heard some pretty incredible stories about it. Hopefully this 2011-2012 team can get a little spark in them too.

#10 DaveGilmoreBSR

DaveGilmoreBSR
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHistoric Woodberry

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

I worry I was a little spoiled and maybe have my expectations set too high for the program. The recruiting classes seem to be better than then, but the team was so damned strong from 01-05 when I went there (was the sports editor of the Newswire and got to cover them from 03-05).

I think it's do or die tomorrow tonight. No guarantees for the big dance. Winning the NIT would be kinda fun though, right? Just trying to brace myself.
BSR Game Cache @dave_gilmore

#11 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I worry I was a little spoiled and maybe have my expectations set too high for the program. The recruiting classes seem to be better than then, but the team was so damned strong from 01-05 when I went there (was the sports editor of the Newswire and got to cover them from 03-05).

I think it's do or die tomorrow tonight. No guarantees for the big dance. Winning the NIT would be kinda fun though, right? Just trying to brace myself.

My expectations this year were drastically elevated due to the arrival of Dez Wells, the first year of Justin Martin (redshirt), and the availability of Travis Taylor (Monmouth transfer who Jeff Goodman, CBS analyst, said would be the best transfer in the country).

Clearly my expectations were off the charts. While I do not think the team was "8-0 good," I do think the brawl did affect the team's psyche going forward.

UMass just took down Temple in the A10 quarterfinals. UMass' Jesse Morgan and Chaz Williams 21 and 20, respecitvely. It was a game of runs as UMass started the 2nd half with a 17-2 run, then Temple went on a 23-9 run of their own. This is the second year in a row that the A10 first seed fell in the quarterfinals (Xavier lost to Dayton by one point last season).

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Oh boy what a great day of basketball in Atlantic City. Still on a high after that crucial last-second win over Dayton, but let's start with the early games first.

First up was 4. St. Bonaventure vs. 5. St. Joseph's. The lead changed 24 times this game, and the highest lead was only 6. In the end, the Bonnies were victorious, winning 71-68. A10 POY Andrew Nicholson had 25/10 line, with help from Charlon Kloof who had 19 points. The Hawks were led by Carl Jones (24 pts).

2. SLU beat 7. LaSalle 78-71. The Billikens had 4 players in double digits: Conklin, Mitchell, McCall, and Jett. The Explorers kept it close most of the game, but SLU led since the 8 minute mark in the 1st half.

In the nightcap, 3. Xavier defeated 6. Dayton 70-69. This was the 5th time in 6 years that these two have met in the A10 tournament, and, like always, it was a close one. It was mostly a guard game: Dillard and Paul Williams had 18 and 11 for Dayton, respectively, while Lyons (12 pts) and Holloway (21 pts) led Xavier. Xavier big man Kenny Frease also chipped in with a solid 17 points and 7 rebounds. It came down to a finger roll by Lyons to put X up 1 and a missed Matt Kavanaugh shot with 5 seconds to go. X shot 6 for 16 from the free throw line in the first half, which has been a big problem for the team this season. If Lyons, Frease, and Holloway connect at the same time, the Muskies can be a dangerous team.

Tomorrow both games can be found on CBS Sports Network. UMass takes on ST. Bonaventure at 1:00 and SLU/Xavier at 3:30.

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

No 2012 A120 tournament win has been by more than 7 points and that continued today.

- In the 4 vs. 8 matchup, the Bonnies defeated UMass 84-80 to advance to tomorrow's final. St. Bona led as much as 14 points, but UMass was able to cut it 2 with 14 seconds to go. Demitrius Conger and Andrew Nicholson with 22 points and 19, respectively, adding 16 rebounds between the two. The Minutemen were led by the trio of Baltimore native Terrell VInson, Hofstra transfer Chaz Williams, and Jesse Morgan, who scored 45 of UMass' 80 points. Look out for UMass next season in A10 play.

- In the 2 vs. 3 matchup, Xavier defeated St. Louis 71-64. The Muskies led by as much as 15 but SLU was able to cut it to 1 with 7 to go but the Muskies held on. As usual, Holloway led Xavier in scoring with 21, flanked by 14 from Lyons and 18 from Wells. Wells had a fantastic 2nd half after a quiet second half. SLU had 5 players in double digit scoring: COnklin, Evans, Mitchell, Ellis, and Jett. With the win, Xavier should be a lock for the NCAA tournament. They are getting hot at just the right time.

The Bonnies take on the Musketeers tomorrow afternoon at 1 PM on CBS. Tune in to see the 2011 A10 POY (PG Holloway) take on the 2012 POY (PF Nicholson). Xavier won the first meeting in January at home 77-64.

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Earlier this week, Duquesne fired their head coach, Ron Everhart. In a leaked email to the school's board, the Duquesne President's letter discusses what Duquesne wants for its basketball future.

We are confident that we can find a new coach who will build on what Ron has accomplished. We have a great tradition, a virtually new home facility, the proximity and close relationship with the Consol Center, an effective AD, a core fan base that is hungry for a better product, and a strong University commitment to the program. While not a regular contender for leadership in our conference, Duquesne is no longer the doormat. The A10 conference itself is on the verge of a major improvement with the addition of new high quality university programs. All of this amounts to an exciting professional opportunity for a new coach.

Notice the plurality of "new high quality university programs." Lo and behold, three days later, Brett McMurphy of CBS has an article that shows Butler, George Mason, and VCU inquiring about joining the Atlantic 10. Temple will already be leaving for the Big East in 2013 and rumors are that Charlotte may be making a move to the Sun Belt for their football aspirations. And then there's always the possibility that UMass goes to the Alliance or some other conference to increase their football exposure.

http://www.cbssports... ... tlantic-10

While I don't like the look of a 16 team league nor the presumably 18 game conference schedule that comes with it, as a Xavier fan, I am ecstatic to hear the A10 is being proactive in conference realignment. Other than a Big East basketball split, aligning with basketball-focused schools is the best for Xavier.

West Pod: Xavier, SLU, Dayton, Butler
North Pod: UMass, Fordham, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure
South Pod: Charlotte, Richmond, VCU, George Mason
East Pod: LaSalle, St. Joe's, Duquesne, George Washington

That is a truly solid conference that should garner 3-4 tournament bids every year. If only we could kick Fordham and LaSalle out and it would be a great conference.

#15 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I never heard this, but WOW.

It makes a lot of sense, but I'm shocked. It's a radical idea, and a smart one by the A10. Good for them!

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#16 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Earlier today we saw this nugget:
Lenn Robbins ‏ @LennRobbins Close
George Mason and VCU to the A-10 on May 1...Butler probably...The Post has learned

But then unfortunately we saw this:
Andy Katz ‏ @ESPNAndyKatz Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
A-10 commish Bernadette McGlade and CAA commish Tom Yeager deny report GMU and VCU are heading to A-10.

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

“There should be an announcement soon,” one industry source told SNY.tv. “I would be shocked if it doesn’t happen.”

“It’s done,” a second source confirmed. “Something will be announced shortly.”

“I hope I’m completely wrong,” a source described as being directly involved in realignment discussions told DailyPress.com. “But I just get a sense that all hell is about ready to break loose.”

http://www.zagsblog.... ... move-soon/

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I figured I'd go ahead and give this thread a bump since so much has happened in the past month or so regarding the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Here's what we know:
- Temple is joining the Big East Conference in all sports on July 1, 2013.
- Charlotte is re-joining Conference USA in all sports on July 1, 2013.
- The A10 has added Virginia Commonwealth for all sports starting July 1, 2012. Most importantly, Shaka Smart and Co. will play A10 basketball this winter.
- The A10 has added Butler for all sports starting July 1, 2013.
- Rumors swirled that George Mason was invited to the A10. Eventually, they decided to stay put in the depleted CAA.
- The A10 will have 15 teams in its basketball conference this year. This likely implies a 16 game conference schedule, with each team playing everyone once and two others home and away.

Here's what has popped up on the rumor mill (as of today):
- Butler may be joining all-sports THIS YEAR.
- If this is the case, the A10 will have 16 teams for the 2012-2013 basketball season.
- They will likely keep a 16 conference game set (due to everyone planning for it already), where each team plays every other team once and one "rival" home and away.
- These rivalries would most likely be: Xavier/Dayton, Saint Louis/Butler, UMass/Rhode Island, Richmond/VCU, St. Bonaventure/Duquesne, St. Joe's/Temple, LaSalle/Fordham, and George Washington/Charlotte.

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

And it is official. Butler will join the A10 for this year.

Should be a helluva basketball conference.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

And it is official. Butler will join the A10 for this year.

Should be a helluva basketball conference.

2012-13 should be a great year for the A10, and VCU and Butler long-term is nice. Shame about losing Temple, and Charlotte after this coming year though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=