#1 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

There are a ton of rumors going around about the Capitals potentially hosting a Winter Classic some time in the next 5 years or so. This brings up some interesting issues and questions. It'll be interesting to hear what everyone thinks.

1. Where should the game be played?

The Capitals would have some very good options as far as where to hold the game. There's Nationals Park (probably the most realistic choice) and Fed Ex Field in DC. If they wanted to hold the game in Baltimore, they have two choices: Oriole Park at Camden Yards, or M&T Bank Stadium. I'd go with M&T Bank Stadium, but realistically, I see the Capitals choosing Nationals Park (which is still a pretty good choice).

2. Who should they play?

This is where I'm sure everyone is going to differ. I would say Penguins, but they already played the Penguins in the 2010/2011 Winter Classic. I hate repeats, so I want a different opponent. I could see the NHL choosing the Flyers, but they've been in numerous ones already, so I'd want to see a different team. I think the Lightning or Panthers would be solid choices. I like the rivalry that we have with them, and I hope that if realignment happens, we still get to be in the same division as them. I'd probably go with the Lightning because:

A.) They have a bigger fanbase AND
B.) Stamkos is about ten times more marketable than anyone on the Panthers

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on those two subjects.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#2 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

http://dc.sbnation.c...hington-dc-2014

Washington is apparently in the running for the 2014 Winter Classic

@BaltimoreDavey

#3 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

No chance the NHL and NBC select Florida or Tampa as a participant in the WC. This game is about ratings in the U.S., so like it or not, we're going to see a lot of Pittsburgh, Washington, Philly, Boston, New York Rangers, Detroit and Chicago. However, the precedent has been set for at least one Canadian team to sneak into the event with the Wings and Leafs playing in the Big House in January '13, which should be a blast. How about a Hawks/Caps or Habs/Caps WC out at Nats Park in January '14? (I'd be surprised if they choose a location other than Nats Park.)
@BSLLukeJackson

#4 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Bettman promised DC a Winter Classic in the near future once they agreed to play in Pittsburgh. The idea was a 2-3 years down the line. With Philly and Detroit hosting the next pair of events, January '14 is the logical time. Could obviously kick the can on the year though.
@BSLLukeJackson

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

Bettman promised DC a Winter Classic in the near future once they agreed to play in Pittsburgh. The idea was a 2-3 years down the line. With Philly and Detroit hosting the next pair of events, January '14 is the logical time. Could obviously kick the can on the year though.

I'm just interested in where it would be. I would imagine Nationals Park since it's downtown. This would never happen, for very obvious reasons, but it's a shame it wouldn't be at OPACY. What a great venue that would be for such an event.

#6 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I'm just interested in where it would be. I would imagine Nationals Park since it's downtown. This would never happen, for very obvious reasons, but it's a shame it wouldn't be at OPACY. What a great venue that would be for such an event.

I want it to be at Oriole Park just so I can try to be in the room when they tell poor Nicole what they will do to her field...

Seriously though, I can't see it being anywhere other than Nationals Park. Downtown, nice venue in general, no dealing with Snyder, etc. They can't really justify holding it in Baltimore, even if the "Detroit" version played in Michigan Stadium. In fact, they seem to be getting into a pattern of football stadium-ballpark-football stadium-ballpark, so that likely gives an additional edge to Nats Park.

I'd really love to see them do something different and impractical (which is really the idea behind the Winter Classic in the first place) and find a way to play it on the Mall. Also, Simmons had an idea back when it started to play one in Southern California, on the beach in Malibu or something similar. That would be amazing, if almost impossible.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

I'd really love to see them do something different and impractical (which is really the idea behind the Winter Classic in the first place) and find a way to play it on the Mall. Also, Simmons had an idea back when it started to play one in Southern California, on the beach in Malibu or something similar. That would be amazing, if almost impossible.

That's a great idea, I'd love to see that.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

I hate to burst people's bubble's with the OPACY idea, but that's just stupid for many reasons, most of all, it's a DC team. It be like in 1993 when the Orioles were hosting the All-Star game, but the game had to be played at RFK. Would Baltimore stand for that?

Leonsis said last year it was going to be held in the DC-Baltimore area, but he preferred DC for those obvious reasons.

It's between Nats Park and FedEx. If they think they can get 80k people to come, they'll put it at FedEx. The idea of putting at the national mall was already decided as illogical due to the lack of locker rooms, bathrooms, and other stadium essentials. Really, the NHL doesn't want to lose a gate on this and who can blame them. Also, Nats Park really isn't downtown it's in SE and without development it's not exactly the greatest area. If it were, I think it would give them more of a leg up on FedEx.

All this being said, I think OPACY is a great idea and maybe they could do a future one there.
@levineps

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Seriously though, I can't see it being anywhere other than Nationals Park. Downtown, nice venue in general, no dealing with Snyder, etc. They can't really justify holding it in Baltimore, even if the "Detroit" version played in Michigan Stadium. In fact, they seem to be getting into a pattern of football stadium-ballpark-football stadium-ballpark, so that likely gives an additional edge to Nats Park.

The Snyder thing is laugable, they held the Army-Navy game at FedEx. For all of his faults with running a football team, he's a world class marketer, he didn't make billions doing nothing.

With Detroit, they had other options I guess, Comerica or Ford Field. The latter wouldn't really be the Winter Classic if it was played inside.

I think with the Caps, Byrd might have been considered if it were a bigger and/or more historical venue just like Michigan Stadium.
@levineps

#10 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

I imagine it would be at a football stadium. More seats= more $$$$$$$$. Nationals Park's capacity is only 41,546.

@BaltimoreDavey

#11 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

That's a great idea, I'd love to see that.

They've already ruled out the Mall due to space concerns.

@BaltimoreDavey

#12 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

The Snyder thing is laugable, they held the Army-Navy game at FedEx. For all of his faults with running a football team, he's a world class marketer, he didn't make billions doing nothing.

With Detroit, they had other options I guess, Comerica or Ford Field. The latter wouldn't really be the Winter Classic if it was played inside.

I think with the Caps, Byrd might have been considered if it were a bigger and/or more historical venue just like Michigan Stadium.

I definitely wouldn't rule out Fed Ex Field. Huge stadium, and Dan Snyder might be an incompetent NFL owner, but the man knows how to make money. You can't deny that. I also wouldn't rule out Baltimore. M&T Bank Stadium seats over 70,000 and it's in better shape than Fed Ex Field.

And the reason that it was played in Michigan Stadium is because:

A.) It seats over 100,000 fans.
B.) They've gotten over 100,000 fans there for college hockey games, so they would have no problems filling all those seats.
C.) $$$$$$$$$

@BaltimoreDavey

#13 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

No chance the NHL and NBC select Florida or Tampa as a participant in the WC. This game is about ratings in the U.S., so like it or not, we're going to see a lot of Pittsburgh, Washington, Philly, Boston, New York Rangers, Detroit and Chicago. However, the precedent has been set for at least one Canadian team to sneak into the event with the Wings and Leafs playing in the Big House in January '13, which should be a blast. How about a Hawks/Caps or Habs/Caps WC out at Nats Park in January '14? (I'd be surprised if they choose a location other than Nats Park.)

No Hawks/Caps. There is absolutely no rivalry there. Habs/Caps could be interesting. Tampa's fan base is quickly growing and Versus is already promoting the Ovechkin-Stamkos rivalry. Despite underachieving this year, they're still in the top 10 of attendance so it's not like they're the Panthers who can't draw fans. Maybe Winnipeg Jets? At least that's still a division rivalry. Why Winnipeg is still considered to be in the Southeast division is beyond me. I know they used to be the Atlanta Thrashers, but still...

@BaltimoreDavey

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

I definitely wouldn't rule out Fed Ex Field. Huge stadium, and Dan Snyder might be an incompetent NFL owner, but the man knows how to make money. You can't deny that. I also wouldn't rule out Baltimore. M&T Bank Stadium seats over 70,000 and it's in better shape than Fed Ex Field.

And the reason that it was played in Michigan Stadium is because:

A.) It seats over 100,000 fans.
B.) They've gotten over 100,000 fans there for college hockey games, so they would have no problems filling all those seats.
C.) $$$$$$$$$

We agree on Snyder and FedEx, I wouldn't be surprised if it's there. Quick correction, they played ONE game at the Big House, but probably would get a similar crowd if they held it again there. Also, Detroit is more of a hockey town than DC (DC has greatly improved as one).

I doubt it will be in Baltimore, there's enough of an uproar with the DC folks and even Baltimore folks when they play the Caps preseason game at 1st Mariner. I saw many comments with the exhibition about how people in Baltimore would support hockey, but they aren't going to support a DC based team (just like many people in DC pre-Nats with the Orioles). Most of us on here don't have this problem, but many on both sides don't want DC associated with Baltimore and vice versa.

As I said earlier with my example of playing the 1993 All Star game at RFK. They'll play the game at Nats Park IMO before they'll play it at M&T. FedEx has the most suites and club seats of any of the options so that means the most money and most total seats (and those party decks if they ever come, I'm skeptical on that).

It just doesn't make a lot of sense for a DC based team to be hosting their most anticipated regular season game ever in a different market. I know the Red Wings are playing in Ann Arbor, but that's still primarily a Detroit market.
@levineps

#15 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'd hate to say it, but you're probably right. Baltimore and DC have a very awkward relationship with each other, probably thanks to Angelos. It took Baltimore long enough to just get a preseason Caps game in Baltimore. I think it'll be held at Fed Ex Field. More seats = more money.

@BaltimoreDavey

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'd hate to say it, but you're probably right. Baltimore and DC have a very awkward relationship with each other, probably thanks to Angelos. It took Baltimore long enough to just get a preseason Caps game in Baltimore. I think it'll be held at Fed Ex Field. More seats = more money.

Angelos definitely complicated things, trying to block a DC team(which I don't blame him for as a businessman), but it definitely increased the tensions and now currently with MASN. But its always been that way. I got ties to both cities so I guess I kind of have a different perspective on all of this.

On the whole preseason game, I think if the ice were more suitable, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.
@levineps

#17 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Angelos definitely complicated things, trying to block a DC team(which I don't blame him for as a businessman), but it definitely increased the tensions and now currently with MASN. But its always been that way. I got ties to both cities so I guess I kind of have a different perspective on all of this.

On the whole preseason game, I think if the ice were more suitable, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue.

I definitely agree regarding the ice. I was at the game, it was by far the worst ice I've ever seen. That includes my years of playing travel hockey in high school, adult leagues in college, and beer leagues now. I don't recall the ice being a problem back when the Capitals played in Baltimore. I hope the Capitals still try to maintain their relationship with Baltimore.

@BaltimoreDavey

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

I definitely agree regarding the ice. I was at the game, it was by far the worst ice I've ever seen. That includes my years of playing travel hockey in high school, adult leagues in college, and beer leagues now. I don't recall the ice being a problem back when the Capitals played in Baltimore. I hope the Capitals still try to maintain their relationship with Baltimore.

Leonsis is a very smart businessman and has mentioned on quite a few occasions the importance of Baltimore, so I don't see that changing. I think with a new arena, there would be an annual preseason game (I think I read that there was a good chance there would be another game this year?). I doubt will see regular season action anytime soon, given that every game for the Caps has sold out for ~3 years. But I fully expect, the Caps to continue to have a presence in Charm City.
@levineps

#19 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

There is hope for a regular season game or two there, depending on how big the new arena is.

@BaltimoreDavey

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

There is hope for a regular season game or two there, depending on how big the new arena is.

Bullets used to play ~4 games there pre-VC opening so there's precedent. My guess is as long as VC is selling out every game, they aren't moving home games out of there. I could see them maybe doing a one-time only game when the new arena opens, more likely though if their opponent wants to give up a home game. But why would Leonsis voluntarily give up a home game, not to mention drawing the ire of the season ticket holders. Other than teams playing in Europe at the start of the year, teams don't exactly play neutral site games in the regular season.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=