• 155,720 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 06:02 PM

#343 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:57 AM

Football Outsiders: Las Vegas Raiders Sign Chandler Jones, Trade Yannick Ngakoue

https://www.football...yannick-ngakoue

#344 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 07:07 PM

Raiders are benching Carr.

#345 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 07:24 PM

Raiders are benching Carr.

To me, Carr will always be Exhibit A of why you only give elite talent a big huge contract extension that beats the previous ones given out. His first extension made him the highest paid QB. He did nothing before to earn it. It's just the "cost of doing business" or some stupid phrase like that. He hasn't done anything noteworthy since, yet earned a second one (!!) at about $35M per, that he's not even through year one of and they regret it. His extension made him the 7th highest paid QB in the league, and he definitely isn't the 7th best QB in the league, by quite a bit. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#346 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 December 2022 - 07:52 PM

Apparently if they release him before the SB they only take a $5.6M cap hit; but if he's injured then his full $33M in 2023 and $7.5M of 2024 salary are guaranteed.

• Mike in STL likes this

#347 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 08:24 PM

So what does this do for Davante Adams' future in Vegas? I'm already seeing speculation that he'll be traded to Chicago, but the Raiders are looking at $31 million in dead cap money if they trade or release him in 2023.

#348 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 08:25 PM

Apparently if they release him before the SB they only take a $5.6M cap hit; but if he's injured then his full $33M in 2023 and $7.5M of 2024 salary are guaranteed.

Doubtless the reason they're benching him for the final two games, even though the Raiders are not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

#349 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 01:10 PM

Looks like a new sheriff in town.

Raiders fill QB need with Jimmy Garoppolo, sources say (espn.com)

#350 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 01:14 PM

Interesting.  Closes the door on Lamar to LV if the deal is legit.

Garopolo is an interesting case.  Little over half the APY of similar guys like Carr and Jones and Smith.  Guess maybe his extensive injury history plus that he doesn't really have much upside to be better than solid keeps his numbers down.  The three-years doesn't surprise me given his injuries, but the APY is modest even for a guy with his warts.

#351 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 March 2023 - 01:16 PM

A reunion with McDaniels.

#352 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:01 PM

Interesting.  Closes the door on Lamar to LV if the deal is legit.

Garopolo is an interesting case.  Little over half the APY of similar guys like Carr and Jones and Smith.  Guess maybe his extensive injury history plus that he doesn't really have much upside to be better than solid keeps his numbers down.  The three-years doesn't surprise me given his injuries, but the APY is modest even for a guy with his warts.

I think Garoppolo is the epitome of a system QB.

Every QB that gets signed both removes a potential destination for Lamar, and increases the Ravens' urgency to resolve the situation with Lamar; if all the QB options are signed away and the draft passes by, and some team comes by and swoops in with an offer sheet post-draft, the Ravens will be SOL at QB.

#353 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

I think Garoppolo is the epitome of a system QB.

Every QB that gets signed both removes a potential destination for Lamar, and increases the Ravens' urgency to resolve the situation with Lamar; if all the QB options are signed away and the draft passes by, and some team comes by and swoops in with an offer sheet post-draft, the Ravens will be SOL at QB.

If it's post draft I have to assume most teams aren't going to have 50M in cap space at that point so any offer then is probably matchable. Unless it has guarantees the team won't touch.

That's why I imagine Campbell was cut, they need to save all the restructures in case of emergency.

#354 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:39 PM

If it's post draft I have to assume most teams aren't going to have 50M in cap space at that point so any offer then is probably matchable. Unless it has guarantees the team won't touch.

That's why I imagine Campbell was cut, they need to save all the restructures in case of emergency.

I was thinking something similar but then started wondering about how much cap space teams like the Bears and Falcons or anyone who has tons heading into this offseason had last year after the draft?  I haven't looked for historic cap space data.  Is their huge amount of cap space available all due to expiring deals or is it largely carryover?

#355 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:50 PM

I was thinking something similar but then started wondering about how much cap space teams like the Bears and Falcons or anyone who has tons heading into this offseason had last year after the draft?  I haven't looked for historic cap space data.  Is their huge amount of cap space available all due to expiring deals or is it largely carryover?

Good question, I don't know.

According to this, this year the Browns had the most carry over at 27M. I would guess they planned that knowing Watson wasn't playing most of the year and they'd need all they can get in the coming years. It says second most was around 10M. Bears had 9.5. All big FAs are done by the draft so if anyone is still sitting there with 10s of millions I do think that'd be unusual.

https://theramswire....carryover-2023/

• Mackus likes this

#356 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 08:08 PM

Edge, Tyree Wilson at 7.

#357 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner