#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I like this pick more with Peterson in the organization.

I was thinking this same thing earlier.

I'm hoping Peterson stays beyond his 1-year contract.

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Ehhhh, depends on how many he throws but already jumping 30IP I might err on the side of caution in his first year. He could hold his own at that level, just worry about the load. Maybe if you shut him down until then.

If he has some mechanical issues, I wonder if he would just be better served going to extended ST and work with Peterson?

#43 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Wont extended spring training be over before he probably signs?

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#44 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Wont extended spring training be over before he probably signs?

I think it transitions once SS ball starts in Aberdeen, but I THINK they still have instructionals and stuff going year round down there, could be wrong though.
@JeremyMStrain

#45 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Can't imagine he throws before AFL.

He'll probably throw the same # of innings as Bundy this year.

Think they start him in Frederick next year?
@JeffLongBP

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Can't imagine he throws before AFL.

He'll probably throw the same # of innings as Bundy this year.

Think they start him in Frederick next year?

Yeah I think so, he's gotta find a 3rd and hopefully 4th pitch.
@JeremyMStrain

#47 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Seems like he'll be Fastball, Slider, Change with a show-me Curve in the long run.

Maybe adds a cutter or something to that sinking fatball. That seems to be what all the kids are doing these days.
@JeffLongBP

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Seems like he'll be Fastball, Slider, Change with a show-me Curve in the long run.

Maybe adds a cutter or something to that sinking fatball. That seems to be what all the kids are doing these days.

That 2S/Change is his bread and butter, but hitters have a 50/50 shot at whats coming. His slider is more of a slurve, and the curve isn't really even that. A cutter might make some sense if he can get that slurve turned into a true slider that could be a good 4 pitch mix.
@JeremyMStrain

#49 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

With Gausman probably set to finish the year around 130 innings, I don't see much reason to push it in 2012. Maybe the AFL, but Frederick to start 2013 seems reasonable. I guess it's possible that he could fly through the system in less than one season like Matusz did, but an early 2014 arrival makes more sense to me.
@BSLLukeJackson

#50 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

With Gausman probably set to finish the year around 130 innings, I don't see much reason to push it in 2012. Maybe the AFL, but Frederick to start 2013 seems reasonable. I guess it's possible that he could fly through the system in less than one season like Matusz did, but an early 2014 arrival makes more sense to me.

Klaw mentioned that he and Appel could start in AA if they really wanted to push them. I really see no need for that.
@JeffLongBP

#51 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Gausman could get his feet wet at Delmarva or go straight to Frederick. I'd be suprised to see him at Bowie this year and he even might start next year at Frederick.

#52 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

Klaw mentioned that he and Appel could start in AA if they really wanted to push them. I really see no need for that.

KLaw seems to be in favor of pushing pitching prospects aggressively.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#53 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Shut him down. Frederick for 8 starts next year, Bowie the rest of the way.
@NickJFaleris

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Shut him down. Frederick for 8 starts next year, Bowie the rest of the way.

Yeah this sounds the best.
@JeremyMStrain

#55 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

He's around 115 IP now, and he's got Stony Brook on Friday. I expect another 7 or so IP then. That puts him over 120, and (given the mismatch of LSU vs. Stony Brook) he's still got 1-2 starts in the CWS. So I expect him to finish the season at around 130-135 IP.

He has said he's like to throw about 150 innings this year. I can't imagine the O's want him up that high. So my guess is that unless LSU somehow loses to Stony Brook this weekend, he's not going to see any time in our system this season.

As for the AFL, I guess it's possible, but I don't think the O's are going to send him.

My guess is he starts next year in Frederick, spends about half the year there (I think he's going to struggle more than people expect early because he still lacks a 3rd quality pitch), then moves up to Bowie. If we're lucky, he's with us in 2014, although I think it might be as a September callup.

I like the pick, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Gausman is going to end up as a (successful) bullpen arm.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

I like the pick, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Gausman is going to end up as a (successful) bullpen arm.

Why? Not trying to pick a fight, just genuinely curious.

#57 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

Because I'm doubtful that he ever develops the third strong pitch. A guy with 2 great pitches can be an excellent reliever, but not so much a great starter in the big leagues. His fastball-changeup combo are perfect as an 8th inning guy. But until he turns the curve (which he only started throwing this year) or the slider into a plus pitch, I am skeptical.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#58 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Because I'm doubtful that he ever develops the third strong pitch. A guy with 2 great pitches can be an excellent reliever, but not so much a great starter in the big leagues. His fastball-changeup combo are perfect as an 8th inning guy. But until he turns the curve (which he only started throwing this year) or the slider into a plus pitch, I am skeptical.

In general you are right, but in this case that downward plane on the sinker almost acts as a 3rd pitch, because he will throw the FB more than the other pitches anyway. He doesn't need a 3rd plus pitch, that's extremely rare, just something that is avg-abv avg.
@JeremyMStrain

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Fair enough. From what I've read, it doesn't appear as though folks are concerned about him being able to develop his breaking stuff more, but it's a legitimate concern. I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch on Friday on ESPN2.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

http://www.masnsport... ... um=twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors