• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Demon Deacons are 10-10 overall, 3-5 in the ACC.

Coming off of a 5 point home loss to Duke. In the 2 games prior to that, they were blown out at Georgia Tech, and upset NCST at home.

Obviously MD needs to (and should) win. With Wake playing Duke tight, I would expect them to come out with good energy. Would like to see the Terps take control early.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

They'll need to win and win fairly big to get anyone feeling any better about this season. One of those games (like BC) where just a ho-hum win doesn't really build anybody's confidence. I think we really need more than just a taking-care-of-business type win.

A loss and I'll lose most of my remaining hope for an NCAA bid.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Every game is a "must win," they need as many wins as they can get to make the tourney short of winning the ACC Tourney.
@levineps

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,999 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Every game is a "must win," they need as many wins as they can get to make the tourney short of winning the ACC Tourney.

Not to me. "Must win" means if they lose, they can't accomplish their goals. No one game the rest of the way has that stigma, except perhaps (if the reg season continues to be crappy and the resume isn't looking NCAA-caliber) every game of the ACC Tournament.

We could lose to Wake tomorrow and still end up 12-6 and be fine for the NCAAs. I don't see it happening, but that scenario is still perfectly plausible even with a loss tomorrow. Ergo, not a "must win".

If you don't abandon all semblance of hope after a loss, then it wasn't a "must win" game.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Not to me. "Must win" means if they lose, they can't accomplish their goals. No one game the rest of the way has that stigma, except perhaps (if the reg season continues to be crappy and the resume isn't looking NCAA-caliber) every game of the ACC Tournament.

We could lose to Wake tomorrow and still end up 12-6 and be fine for the NCAAs. I don't see it happening, but that scenario is still perfectly plausible even with a loss tomorrow. Ergo, not a "must win".

If you don't abandon all semblance of hope after a loss, then it wasn't a "must win" game.

They have little margin of error. I hate the "must win" term more than anyone, it devalues when it really is a "must win" as in if you lose that game your done, which isn't the case tomorrow. Just saying I don't think the Terps can afford to lose any games.
@levineps

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

"Must win" is an overused term. However, as mentioned the Terps need every win they can muster from now on. And since they still have several difficult games on the schedule, they absolutely cannot afford to lose any games that they have no business losing (i.e. Wake Forest at home). So in that context, I do kind of see this as a must win.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

However you want to define today, it is important. This starts a 3 game stretch (@VaTech, UVA), where MD needs to put some wins together. Should you win these 3, you will be 18-6, 6-5 heading in the 2/16 home game vs. Duke.

I agree with Mackus that you want to see MD not just get the W today, but play well.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

No recap today, as I'll be heading up to Hagerstown around 3...

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Padgett starting?

Please pick a starting 5 and stick with it.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

On cue, 2 early baskets and a steal for Padgett.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Len with a dunk off an inbounds underneath the Wake basket.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

12-9 MD, frantic base over first 4 minutes.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Len finishes a missed layup from Wells. He exploded there.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

8-2 MD run puts the Terps up 18-12. Faust with a nice move to the rim, and Cleare with a power move in the post.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Layman with a rainbow 3, lead out to 12 with 10 minutes left. Good energy from MD.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Layman with a 2nd 3... 26-11, 9:10 left in the 1st...

Best 10 minutes of play in quite some time.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

A minute later 26-16, and Wake ball.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,320 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

As Gimanski just said, MD doing an excellent job of getting out on the fast break and running the floor.

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Sometimes a tough loss motivates a team better than anything else. It seems like Maryland took the FSU loss to heart.
@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Shaq Cleare still learning to play. He is the lead guy on the break and stop and waited for the pass. Get to the rim big man and let the ball find you.

The next play Charles Mitchell was out and front and got a good pass from Allen for the dunk.
Kids are still learning.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=