DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

http://joeposnanski.... ... curve.html

I began watching "Trouble With the Curve" in my hotel room the other day with these three certainties:

I love baseball.

Clint Eastwood made "Unforgiven," which is one of my 10 favorite movies.

I love Amy Adams.

I came out of "Trouble with the Curve" facing only one certainty:

Justin Timberlake was, by far, my favorite character. Justin Bleepin' Timberlake.

In other words, "Trouble with the Curve" was a very confusing movie experience.

It goes on like that for about 7200 more words.

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2013/01/trouble-curve.html

It goes on like that for about 7200 more words.

The funny thing was that I agree 100% with that blurb.

I mean, it wasn't a bad movie, you just can't watch it and think "oh this is what it's like to be a scout". It's a movie, that's it.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Yeah I've heard a lot of bad things about it. Apparently Clint just grunts and grumbles his way through it with plenty of old school/new school cliches.

#4 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I'd find the article and post it, but I'm on my phone. Keith Law didn't have any nice words for the movie either.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yeah I've heard a lot of bad things about it. Apparently Clint just grunts and grumbles his way through it with plenty of old school/new school cliches.

That is basically it. People wanted it to be the answer to Moneyball's Sabermetrics (which the movie wasn't really) and it wasn't. It was full of cliches and people on both sides were upset that it either portrayed scouts as being old and crotchety, and stats were the devil, but if you just watch it as a semi entertaining movie it was ok. Just hard to separate yourself enough to watch it like that.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

That is basically it. People wanted it to be the answer to Moneyball's Sabermetrics (which the movie wasn't really) and it wasn't. It was full of cliches and people on both sides were upset that it either portrayed scouts as being old and crotchety, and stats were the devil, but if you just watch it as a semi entertaining movie it was ok. Just hard to separate yourself enough to watch it like that.

Maybe if I wasn't a baseball fan I could do that but for obvious reasons that is impossible. :D

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Maybe if I wasn't a baseball fan I could do that but for obvious reasons that is impossible. :D

Exactly. If you aren't a real hardcore fan or not a fan at all you'll enjoy it a lot more. But if you are very into the game, the little things will drive you nuts.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=