• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

If you are hosting, let us know if you will be making anything special for the game.

My wife Laura and I will be skipping our friends party, and watching at home. I'm sure we will make chili using my Dad's recipe which is enough to serve 6-8, and still probably have some left over...

Ingredients:

1 1/2 - 2 lbs lean ground beef (You could substitute ground turkey)
3 cans dark red kidney beans (or mix the dark with a can of light red)
1 1arge can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste (you could use more tomatoes or sauce too, but the paste is good to have on hand so you thicken the chili, if needed)
1 large chopped onion
1 or 2 Tablespoons of chili powder (1 is a minimum, add more to taste,-I use about 2 or so) but be careful...too much will overwhelm it)
2-3 cloves garlic or equivalent from a jar of chopped garlic (this is kept refrig'd and maybe near produce)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 small can chopped green chili's (found with Mex. foods---this is optional)
Also optional: dash of oregano and/or ground cumin, dash or two of Tabasco or equivalent, dash of sugar.

Directions:

Brown beef or turkey in a samll amount of oil, drain and set aside. (don't overcook)
Cook chopped onions in skillet used for beef 2-3 minutes on medium heat or until translucent.
In large pot or crock pot, combine all other ingredients except tomato paste.
Add onions and beef or turkey..
Heat on low heat until nice and bubbly---stir now and then. If it seems too thin, add tomato paste...if too thick, take the paste and mix it with water, then add...

Any of the optional ingredients can be added as you go...just add in small amounts...give it a bit, taste and adjust as needed

It can be heated thru...turned off and reheated...usually better on 2nd day. Should be perfect for crock pot if you want to prepare ahead.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I love this, pretty soon will need a BSL cookbook.

Back in '97, the Favre-led GB win, my family hosted the SB. Since it was in NOLA, my mom cooked up a bunch dishes from there. Chilli is always a good call. Still haven't decided what I'm doing for the SB, I'm much more interested in it this year than I typically am and will go somewhere for more social reasons than to actually watch the game.
@levineps

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Your chili recipe is almost identical to mine chris. :)
@JeremyMStrain

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Not sure if I'm hosting or not, but here are my go-to gameday fod choices. One is a version of a New Orleans icon (Drago's charbroiled oysters) so it would work pretty well if you're into oysters and don't mind shucking them yourself.

Crazy easy appetizer:
Bacon wrapped Jalapenos.

1 lb bacon, strips cut in half
~16 jalapenos
8 oz package of cream cheese

Slice jalapenos in half, try to remove the stems and seeds if you're worried about the heat
Fill jalapeno slices with cream cheese (butter knife is easiest tool for this)
Wrap each jalapeno half with a half strip of bacon. Use a toothpick to secure and also to provide a handle to eat with.

Cook in a ~375 oven for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.

Charbroiled oysters:

This only works on a charcoal grill. Don't try to use gas or an oven. Get the grill nice and hot.

Make a sauce with 1 stick of butter, a clove or two of finely chopped garlic, a couple tablespoons of chopped parsley, and salt and pepper. Put it in a microwaveable bowl and melt the butter a little bit but not quite all the way. You want it looking like pancake batter moreso than a liquid. This is enough sauce for about a dozen oysters, maybe two. If you're making more, increase the amount of sauce.

Shuck a bunch of oysters. I usually get mine from Frank's Seafood in Jessup. The Virginia Salts are awesome, and I think are $38 for a sack of 50 oysters. Leave them on the half shell and get them over some ice or in the fridge to stay cold until you're ready to cook them.

Put the oysters on the hot grill and let them cook for a minute or two. Then ladle some of the sauce over each oyster and let it go another minute or two. Sprinkle some grated parmesan on top of each oyster and let go another minute. Remove them from the grill, squeeze a little lemon on each, and eat. They're amazing.

#5 Spoonless

Spoonless
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCranston, RI

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'll probably be making stuffies.

8 quahogs
1 shallot, finely minced
2 medium sized poblano peppers, finely minced
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 cup fresh bread crumbs (I usually crumble some day-old Italian bread)
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
4 teaspoons grated Romano cheese
Additional butter, melted, as needed for moistening
Clam juice, as needed for moistening
Lemon wedges and hot pepper sauce

To facilitate the opening of the quahogs, place the well-scrubbed clams in a pan in a moderate (350-degree) oven and heat until they open. Discard any that do not open. When cool enough to handle, remove the quahogs from their shells. Pour the liquid left in each clamshell into a bowl. Set aside the clamshells and clam juice. Poach the quahogs for three minutes in simmering water. Chop the quahogs into pieces.

In a large frying pan, sauté the garlic, shallot, and peppers in the butter until the shallot is translucent. Stir in the chopped quahogs, an equal amount of bread crumbs, and the oregano. Add about ½ teaspoon grated cheese per clam. Moisten with additional melted butter and/or clam juice.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Separate the clamshells. Mound the stuffing into each clamshell half, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until hot and slightly browned, approximately twenty minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and hot pepper sauce.

You'll probably get 12 stuffies out of the above recipe.

The key to good stuffies is to mince the peppers and shallot as fine as you can. Some people also like to add bacon, which again should be minced very fine. A half pound of bacon should work with the above recipe. You don't want to mask the flavor of the clams too much. A lot of the Portuguese in RI use chourico in the same manner.

You could also use a can of chopped clams and buy the shells at the fish market (usually $3 for 20 shells here).

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Good stuff guys, thanks for sharing.

#7 JHTerp01

JHTerp01
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

My family has a tradition of making Faidley's crab cakes using a recipe we found on the internet that is supposedly theirs:

Crab Cakes
1 lb large lump crabmeat, picked over
1 cup crushed saltine
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco sauce
vegetable oil (for frying) (optional)
clarified butter (optional) or olive oil, for sauteing (optional)

Directions:

Crab cakes: Spread the crab meat out in a flat pan and sprinkle the crushed saltines over the top.
In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, egg, mustard, Worcestershire and tobasco.
Pour the mayonnaise over the crab meat and gently toss or fold the ingredients together, taking care not to break up the lumps of crab meat.
Let the mixture sit for 2-3 minute.
before forming the cakes.
Form the cakes by hand or with an ice cream scoop into 8 mounds about 3" in diameter and 3/4" thick.
Do NOT pack the mixture too firmly.
The cakes should be as loose as possible, yet still hold their shape.
Place the cakes on a tray or platter lined with wax paper, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cooking.
Tartar sauce: In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, dill pickles, onion, parsley and dill pickle juice.
Chill for at least 1 hour.
To fry: Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of about 1 ½".
Heat oil and fry crab cakes, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 4 minute.
on each side.
Remove with a slotted utensil to a paper towel to drain.
To broil: Slip them under a preheated broiler until nicely browned, turning to cook evenly, about 4-5 minute.
on each side To sauté: Heat a small amount of clarified butter or olive oil, or a combination, in a skillet and sauté the cakes, turning several times, until golden brown, about 8 minute.
total cooking time.
Serve at once with tartar sauce on the side.
Makes 4 servings.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/... ... c=linkback

We skip the tartar sauce because who does that? I prefer to pan fry them and they turn out amazing.

Another go-to is this ridiculously easy buffalo chicken dip. I throw a couple chicken breasts in the crock pot and shred them rather than using canned chicken, but other than that this recipe is a breeze:

http://allrecipes.co... ... icken-dip/

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Some really good stuff here.

I'm going to a friend's for a mini-Super Bowl party. He makes the best chili I've ever had, by far... and it's not even close. I don't know the ingredients/instructions, but I do know he uses rib eye as the meat. It's just insanely awesome. When I'm finished eating that, I'll probably be a little upset for completely forgetting there was a big game on.

#9 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Probably going to a friends house for the 1st half then heading home at half time (put the kiddies to bed) and watch the second half at home.

Something I'll prepare for the party is Kilbasa and Sour Kraut cooked in a crockpot for 3-4 hours. Pretty simple but pretty awesome food!

#10 Spoonless

Spoonless
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCranston, RI

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Another easy and popular favorite is crockpot pulled pork. Toss a pork loin in the crockpot, cover it with ginger beer. Cook on low until the pork shreds with a fork (usually 8 hours or so). Drain the liquid, and then mix in your favorite BBQ sauce. Serve that with some finger rolls or sandwich rolls and you're good to go. You can toss in whatever you want with the pork, too. Maybe a small onion and some garlic, or a finely minced pepper or two.

It'd be really awesome if you made some cornbread sandwich rolls for it, but that's a bit more work than I'd really feel like doing.

#11 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sweet and sour meatballs in the crockpot
Turkey chili
Homemade nachos
Sliders I cook on a griddle over chopped onion. (Freeze them, then put them on the griddle frozen. Cut three dime shaped holes in the meat and cover with the bottom of the bun. There's a steaming effect and it is delicious.)
Ice cold Mountain Dew in a can (the only way to drink it)

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Buffalo dip

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Buffalo Chicken Dip: Very easy just put two cans of chicken, some hot sauce, shredded cheese, cream cheese all in a crockpot for 4-6 hours.

Also a super simple queso dip is just get a 1/2 block of Velveeta cheese and add a cup of chunky salsa (any will do) into a bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Take it out, stir a bit, and microwave again for 2 minutes.

Brought to you by the college student.
  • You Play to Win the Game and glenn__davis like this

#14 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

We'll be eating homemade pizza with the pepperonis under the cheese like God intended.

Also made a dip that consists of cajun seasoning, sour cream and ketchup that we got a sample of at Sam's yesterday.
  • Mike B and SammyBirdland like this

#15 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

For my chili, (aside from the ingredients listed above) instead of using just kidney beans I like to also mix in some black and garbanzo beans.  I'll also chuck in some bell peppers and a can or 2 of v8, and sometimes zucchini.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#16 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

Are New Belgium's 1554 and Spring Blonde Ale too snooty for the Super Bowl?

• Markus likes this

#17 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

For my chili, (aside from the ingredients listed above) instead of using just kidney beans I like to also mix in some black and garbanzo beans.  I'll also chuck in some bell peppers and a can or 2 of v8, and sometimes zucchini.

Squash is a good one to include as well

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Pizza

Wings

Beer

Man we have a ton of snobs on this site.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#19 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:51 AM