55 replies to this topic

#41 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Pe'Shon TO meter up to 7. I think we should do a Hopkins style chant every time he turns the ball over, 1-2-3-4 WE WANT MORE!

Looking a lot better this half. Gotta agree with folks who've designated one of our issues with the half court offense, 3 people standing and looking at all times.
@DaKittenz

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

McAdoo pushes off gets rebound and then gets fouled, makes 2 of 3, thanks to lane violation.

Allen misses a 3.

Bullock with a 3 back to 17
@mikeghg

#43 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Pe'Shon TO meter up to 7. I think we should do a Hopkins style chant every time he turns the ball over, 1-2-3-4 WE WANT MORE!

Looking a lot better this half. Gotta agree with folks who've designated one of our issues with the half court offense, 3 people standing and looking at all times.

Moving to open spots makes you a better shooter.
@mikeghg

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Again Maryland fights back, two Mitchell hoops off nice feed from Faust.

Down 13.
@mikeghg

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

It will get lost in a loss but Dez Wells effort today has been awesome. Great game at the rim. Attacked the whole game.
@mikeghg

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I counted 9 offensive rebounds or Maryland knocking the ball out of bounds in the second half or this comeback would have gotten a lot more serious
Still nice effort my Maryland.
Traps and press gave Heels problems.

Lead got down to 10.
@mikeghg

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

BSL: Terps lose at Chapel Hill; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
http://baltimorespor...e-bad-the-ugly/

#48 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Glad they woke up in the 2nd to make it look respectable, but not enough to erase how ticked I was with that first half effort.

Seth needs to start making some shots, when he does this will be a better team.

Howard was beyond awful.

Whoever takes Len is going to be quite disappointed, at least for the first few years.

Really nice game from wells.

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

They'll score points in transition today. Roy Williams wants an attacking offense which gets up the court. That leaves them vulnerable on the back-end.

In the last 3 games, MD has scored 62, 47, and 51 points. I would expect 70 points from the Terps today.

I listed in the game recap, but nice 'Ugly' prediction from me here.

I know Turgeon doesn't want to do it, but this team has to do more trapping and pressing. They need to create turnovers, and Wells showed today what he is capable of in an open court.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

We don't even attempt a mid range game. I mean its one thing to be poor 3 point shooters but we got a bunch of guys who dribble too far and try to get every single point at the rim. No stop and pop, if we catch the ball open inside the arc we put our head down and drive. You can't win in this league trying to get everything at the rim. Teams just collapse, they don't have to play anyone on this team outside of the paint.

Not a good team. You can't magically become good shooters, you can't magically give yourself a higher basketball IQ, you can't magically give yourself good ball handling skills. When this team does have the occasional good shooting night they'll likely win because they generally play defense well but their too inconsistent and simply not well rounded enough to be a tourny team this year. They beat up on weaker, shorter, inferior teams because they could get to the rim at will and outrebound them. Not going to cut it most nights in the ACC. I'll be surprised if they finish over .500 in the conference.

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

BTW...the guards just aren't very good on this team. Really disappointed in Faust. Allen, you can see a lot of his issues are just freshman things. He's gonna be a good one. I wonder just how much Cassell would have helped this year. We have 2 guys(Arronhalt, Howard) who just aren't ACC caliber guards.

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,826 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I listed in the game recap, but nice 'Ugly' prediction from me here.

I know Turgeon doesn't want to do it, but this team has to do more trapping and pressing. They need to create turnovers, and Wells showed today what he is capable of in an open court.

I agree, the up tempo pressing will get the players moving more. O do not agree that the guards are bad. PShon as he is now, is not an ACC PG. Allen and Faust are ACC guards and have a chance to be good. It is more lack of execution on offense then bad shooters. When the ball is in the post, the guards have to move. there was a play in the second half where McAdoo from Carolina posted and fumbled the ball. He got it right on the baseline and the clock was running down, the wing guard moved to the open spot after Maryland collapsed on McAdoo, set his feet took the pass and nailed a jumper. Largely, Maryland does not do that.
They did play and move better it the second half. Allen and Faust got the ball moving better and Wells was very good. I still think they will get it.
Time will tell.
@mikeghg

#53 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Pretty much what I expected though no one I think could have predicted just how awful things were in the 1st half for the Terps. Fifteen turnovers with several of them unforced. They ended with 21 on the afternoon to only 5 assists, so what more do you need to know?

Guardplay was very difficult to watch at times.

Still I admire the defense and the tenacity to hold UNC to only 20 points in the second half and make a run of it. Wells has a solid effort but he like the rest of the backcourt must limit bad decisions (5-TO). Growing pains, growing pains.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Faust really looks awful...What is going on with him? He certainly shouldn't be running the point IMO.

#55 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Faust really looks awful...What is going on with him? He certainly shouldn't be running the point IMO.

Well, it sure can't be Howard and his 7 TOs in 14 minutes. And Allen plays better off the ball.

Allen will really help everything for this team when his shot starts going, and it will. He's just in a funk right now.

I agree that Faust has not looked good, but he's probably the best of a bad group of options right now. BTW, that shot he took in the closing minutes of the UNC game had no business not going in. That thing was 3/4 of the way down the cylinder.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 159,072 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

He has to. Not because he is a pure pg, but because he is better with the ball in his hands, and that allows Allen to play off the ball.

It's not true that Faust looks awful. The biggest drawback of his game, is that he simply doesn't have the intermediate (and 3pt game) he was advertised as having coming out of HS. He is good at getting to the rim. He plays defense and the passing lanes well... but he's been playing the 2G, and he doesn't shoot well enough.

At the end of last year, he was scoring at will with the ball in his hands... maybe we see that again shortly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=