HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

http://deadspin.com/5976517

Wow, if true.

I'm gonna wait til more comes out before making comments I'm going to regret, either way.
@levineps

#4 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Just finished reading this and was coming to post it. Amazing stuff. Joseph Smith would be proud. (If true)

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Wow, I don't even know what to say about this.

What a horrible person.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

How bad does this mess up his draft position?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

BTW, what great reporting by Deadspin.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Assuming it's true it doesn't help. But ultimately, these teams want to win more than anything else. It's not like inside linebackers grow off trees.
@levineps

#9 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

First off, let me say if it's true, that's some pretty impressive investigative journalism and a really well written piece. ESPN could certainly take note.

If it's not true, well..it would be a pretty sickening thing to make up.

What a story though.

@AdamWolff

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I agree, an amazing job by Deadspin.

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

It definitely sounds like Deadspin did their research on this. I think Te'o definitely has to respond somehow....if not publicly, you can bet it will absolutely come up in pre-draft interviews and (if true) be a huge black mark on his character. With his talent, hard to say if he drops any because of it.....but it wouldn't be unprecedented if he did.

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

TheSportsMarket ‏@TheSportsMarket
Manti Te'o wasnt missing tackles in the NC game he was hugging his girlfriend......

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

TheSportsMarket ‏@TheSportsMarket
Manti Te'o wasnt missing tackles in the NC game he was hugging his girlfriend......

I liked the comment below the article, that Te'o played for the University of Nosuch Dame.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Kiper was on ESPN this afternoon saying he was an option at #8, and the Ravens were one team interested in possibly trading up.

I think this story is crazy enough to make him a 2nd day pick. Drug use or recovery from injury would be a lot easier to get past.

Just unreal.

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Kiper was on ESPN this afternoon saying he was an option at #8, and the Ravens were one team interested in possibly trading up.

I think this story is crazy enough to make him a 2nd day pick. Drug use or recovery from injury would be a lot easier to get past.

Just unreal.

I wonder if teams will buy the inevitable excuse that his publicist/posse led him in the wrong direction and that he's since then removed those people from his life and has learned from this?

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Just unreal.

I was going to compare this with Randy Moss and Warren Sapp, both guys who dropped due to (alleged) positive tests for marijuana. But you're right, I think this is worse. On the other hand, kids do stupid things, and I can see where Te'o and his buddy may have never intended for the story to become as big as it did. And once it did, it only got harder for them to come clean.

I don't know. But here's the question.....if Te'o is sitting there near the bottom of the 1st Round (hopefully #32 :) ) should the Ravens take him? Guess that's a question for another section though.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

This reminds me of the time I rogered U.S. Grant's wife hours before recording my 59th win of the season. She's dead now.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

He clearly knew what he was telling the press/world was inaccurate. Not clear he intended to deceive from the start. Perhaps he was manipulated, and once it became clear to him... it spiraled out of control. Or maybe he and that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo concocted the story from the beginning for publicity... or maybe they were hiding a relationship. Great reporting from Deadspin, but still plenty of questions to be answered.

I suspect what happened with the press is that after SI's initial report, everyone took that as legitimate, and did not do any homework on their own.

#19 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Saw this in another thread: The Lyin' Hawaiian
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

He clearly knew what he was telling the press/world was inaccurate. Not clear he intended to deceive from the start. Perhaps he was manipulated, and once it became clear to him... it spiraled out of control. Or maybe he and that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo concocted the story from the beginning for publicity... or maybe they were hiding a relationship. Great reporting from Deadspin, but still plenty of questions to be answered.

I suspect what happened with the press is that after SI's initial report, everyone took that as legitimate, and did not do any homework on their own.

That thought occurred to me as I read that story too, which would have a whole different set of ramifications, and would at least shed some light on to why they did this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=