#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I like how the article says in an "exclusive" interview with CSN, he's employed by them. I agree with what GW is saying with the "new kid" in school analogy. In terms of the "rivalry" with PSU, I'm not old enough to remember it but with how one-sided it was, I have a problem calling it as such. Does Navy consider Notre Dame, their rivals?

I've said this before, I expect a sizable boost in attendance the first few years in the Big 10, more in terms of other fanbases. Unless Maryland gets better, I'm not sure how big that will end up being. The FSU game got 35k. I'd expect similar numbers from the powerhouses unless they are extremely good that year. It's not like Northwestern sells out every Big 10 game (even marquee teams) and they are much closer geographically to most other schools in the conference.
@levineps

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Nothing K said was wrong. Bottom line is I bet many of the schools feel that way and K is very passionate about the ACC and ACC basketball.

Really, its more of an acknowledgement of how important he feels MD is to the conference...that's why he is making a big deal out of it.

Either way, it is what it is and its not really worth wasting much time on anymore. MD is gone and that's just how it is.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

The Washington Post also weighed-in: http://www.washingto...in-the-big-ten/

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Nothing K said was wrong. Bottom line is I bet many of the schools feel that way and K is very passionate about the ACC and ACC basketball.

Really, its more of an acknowledgement of how important he feels MD is to the conference...that's why he is making a big deal out of it.

Either way, it is what it is and its not really worth wasting much time on anymore. MD is gone and that's just how it is.

I agree with that as well.
@levineps

#6 Domenic

Domenic

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I agree with Coach K and Gary. Maryland will be outsiders, however Gary's right in that they were never really made feel welcome in a conference that they helped found. I understand the move and financially it was really a deal that they couldn't turn down, but I will miss the tradition and the pagentry of the ACC. It sickens me to know that the likes of Syracuse and Pittsburgh will be a part of that moving forward, whereas Maryland will not. However in the same resepct the ACC as I knew and loved it went away after VT & co were allowed to join the conference. So with that said, the final ACC Tournament Championship in what I would classify as the "real ACC" was won by the Maryland Terrapins!
@DomenicVadala

#7 Domenic

Domenic

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 717 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I like how the article says in an "exclusive" interview with CSN, he's employed by them. I agree with what GW is saying with the "new kid" in school analogy. In terms of the "rivalry" with PSU, I'm not old enough to remember it but with how one-sided it was, I have a problem calling it as such. Does Navy consider Notre Dame, their rivals?

I've said this before, I expect a sizable boost in attendance the first few years in the Big 10, more in terms of other fanbases. Unless Maryland gets better, I'm not sure how big that will end up being. The FSU game got 35k. I'd expect similar numbers from the powerhouses unless they are extremely good that year. It's not like Northwestern sells out every Big 10 game (even marquee teams) and they are much closer geographically to most other schools in the conference.

I think Maryland football will suffer in terms of wins and losses when they have to play Michigan, OSU, etc. each year. Obviously you never know what will happen, as a couple of good recruiting classes can turn that around, however it'll be tough. The rivalry with Penn State wasn't really that huge of a deal so far as I know. They had some fierce games I suppose, but they stopped playing each other after PSU demolished Maryland at Memorial Stadium one year. I think of late the rivalry has been more so on the recruiting trail than anything else. Penn State has always recruited very strongly in the Baltimore/Washington region, and I would submit that they've taken a lot of players that would have otherwise gone to Maryland or even UVA.
@DomenicVadala

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=