296 replies to this topic

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

Was that the one they've been missing for a long time?

I think the only bombs they keep track of are nukes... trying to keep track of bombs they dropped on Germany in WW2 would be like keeping track of what happened to every foul ball over a 20 year span...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

My grandfather was a test pilot during WWII. He passed away 5 years ago. I don't usually get emotional over these things, but seeing the commemorative pieces on Pearl Harbor during the football games today, I got a little choked up at the realization that we aren't far from the day when there are no longer any vets from that era still living.
  • Hooded Viper and tennOsfan like this

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

My grandfather was a test pilot during WWII. He passed away 5 years ago. I don't usually get emotional over these things, but seeing the commemorative pieces on Pearl Harbor during the football games today, I got a little choked up at the realization that we aren't far from the day when there are no longer any vets from that era still living.

One of the things I saw said that they had four of the nine remaining Pearl Harbor survivors in Hawaii yesterday, and the part that hit me was that out of all of the men stationed at the military installations around Pearl in 1941, nine are left.

@DJ_McCann

#44 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Undeveloped World War II Film Discovered - The Rescued Film Project discovers and processes 31 rolls of film shot by an American WWII soldier over 70 years ago.  

• Russ, RShack and Don Quixote like this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#45 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

The extraordinary story of the Allied forces who filmed the terrible scenes in the Nazi concentration camps, and Sidney Bernstein's attempt to produce a landmark documentary record of what they found. The movie "Holocaust: Night Will Fall" was produced byAlfred Hitchcock. The movie shows first scenes of Nazi concentration camps but was shelved by the British government in 1945.

• Russ and Don Quixote like this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#46 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

Good article from NYT. Retired Japanese Fighter Pilot Sees an Old Danger on Horizon

NAGANO, Japan — Kaname Harada was once a feared samurai of the sky, shooting down 19 Allied aircraft as a pilot of Japan’s legendary Zero fighter plane during World War II. Now 98 years old and in failing health, the former ace is on what he calls his final mission: using his wartime experiences to warn Japan against ever going to war again.

This has become a timely issue in Japan, as the conservative prime minister, Shinzo Abe, has called for revising Japan’s pacifist Constitution. On a recent afternoon in this alpine city near his home, Mr. Harada was invited to address a ballroom filled with some 200 tax accountants and their business clients.

http://www.nytimes.c...d=tw-share&_r=1

• Russ likes this

#47 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

Good article from NYT. Retired Japanese Fighter Pilot Sees an Old Danger on Horizon

http://www.nytimes.c...d=tw-share&_r=1

"He said it took many more years before he could finally talk about the war itself. The turning point came during the Persian Gulf war in 1991, when he was appalled to overhear young Japanese describe the bombing as if it were a harmless video game. He said he resolved to speak out.

He has been talking about his war experiences ever since.

'Until I die, I will tell about what I saw,” Mr. Harada concluded his speech to the accountants’ group. “Never forgetting is the best way to protect our children and our children’s children from the horrors of war.'”

Notice how, for the last decade-plus, our own media has told us nothing about what our own WW2 vets have to say?  

My Dad was seriously PO'd ever since the drumbeats for Iraq started... he grokked that the message was that if you're a loyal American then you'd support it, otherwise you're a pussy... which made his until-then very-Republican-self ready to punch somebody...which he wasn't in good enough shape to do... but he was able to switch parties (which caused me and my siblings to nearly fall off our chairs)...  he kept saying that the decision makers had no absolutely idea what they were really doing... I'd ask him what he thinks about this Japanese guy, but I can't because he's gone now...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#48 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

• Russ likes this

#49 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for keeping this up, Mark.

#50 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

Surprising to me (in a good way) that they're still thinking about those guys...

#51 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

• Don Quixote likes this

#52 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:31 PM

Around the 4:45 mark is the entrance to the Führerbunker. The city took a beating...

• Don Quixote and tennOsfan like this

#53 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

In the war's final days, a small group of Wehrmacht forces came together with US troops against the Waffen SS and Gestapo at Schloss Itter.

http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-32622651

• Mark Carver likes this

#54 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:05 AM

Richard Overton of Austin is the United States' oldest living World War II veteran, set to turn 109 on Monday.

http://www.wearethem...-cigars-2015-05

#55 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

May 8th marks the 70th anniversary of Germany's surrender in WWII. 

ve-day.jpg

• Don Quixote likes this

#56 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

May 5 was the 70th anniversary of the only US-mainland casualties of WW2... just a couple days before VE Day...

9000 Japanese balloon bombs carried by the jet stream...   one made it to Omaha... another to Kansas... but one of several that made it to Oregon was the only one to kill anybody... 5 little kids and a pregnant mom on a Sunday outing... it had come down and deflated, the kids found it, one of the little kids messed with it, and boom...

http://www.history.c...ns-70-years-ago

• Don Quixote and Mark Carver like this

#57 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

^ I wonder if that still makes it into the history lessons on the war. Did for me....

#58 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

Vintage World War II aircraft gather to perform a flyover of Washington DC and the WWII Memorial to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of WWII in Europe.

Much more video on You Tube dedicated to this day...

• Don Quixote likes this

#59 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

And a piece of machinery 70+ years old, well things happens...

One of the vintage WWII planes participating in the historic flyover of Washington Friday made an emergency landing at Reagan National Airport.

A TBM Avenger broke from its flight path to head toward the airport, which is in Virginia, just across the Potomac River from D.C.

"It was in perfect formation with everyone else, then it broke heavily," said Andrew Shirley, who witnessed the emergency landing from Gravelly Point, a park at the end of the airport's runway.

http://www.usatoday....rport/26991933/

• Don Quixote likes this

#60 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

UXO find in Cologne prompts one-kilometer exclusion zone, and evacuation.

http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-32897388

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=